Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European delivery

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017 | 01:48 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Default European delivery

Toying with the idea of European delivery. Did a Google and Rennlist search, and I think I'm starting to understand it. I do have a few questions for the knowledgeable people here.

1. Will an ED make it less likely or more likely to get a GT3 allocation?
2. As I understand it from reading the search results, the dealer will assist with the ordering of the car, physical delivery in Europe, and reshipping to the US. The "vacation" travel, accommodations and European drive itself will have to be arranged by yourself. Is that right?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-01-2017 | 01:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Palting - ED is amazing and you should definitely do it.

Some dealers are happy to offer ED for free as intended (it costs them $3k, but they get another 991 (non-GT) allocation to offset). Some charge you the $3k and others would rather not be bothered with it (will prefer to offer to a non-ED customer). All dealer dependent.

Once you begin the ED process, that excellent department will help you with the physical delivery and return - they give you a few perks like a free hotel room on arrival, free taxi vouchers, a nice meal, and 90 min. track time with a Porsche fleet car if in Leipzig.

Check your PM,
Grant

Last edited by GrantG; 06-01-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2017 | 02:10 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

ED forum here: https://rennlist.com/forums/european...ce-center-236/

Definitely on my bucket list!
Old 06-01-2017 | 03:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
Toying with the idea of European delivery. Did a Google and Rennlist search, and I think I'm starting to understand it. I do have a few questions for the knowledgeable people here.

1. Will an ED make it less likely or more likely to get a GT3 allocation?
it shouldn't, but with a limited production car, and a bunch more people wanting a car than allocations, a lazy dealer might choose the "easy" route and pass on a customer wanted ED, also since ED costs the dealer $3-4k
will either be passed onto you "somehow" (no discount, or premium)

2. As I understand it from reading the search results, the dealer will assist with the ordering of the car, physical delivery in Europe, and reshipping to the US. The "vacation" travel, accommodations and European drive itself will have to be arranged by yourself. Is that right?

Thanks in advance!!
The dealer will assist with the order placement (regardless of ED or not),
you will have to provide some provisional dates for collection, which they
will share with the folks at PCNA responsible for ED, and subsequently
arrive on an agreed date (and location(*)).

From that point on you deal (in)directly with the PCNA ED team, the dealer
is out of the loop at that point, until the car is delivered to them.

PCNA and PAG arrange the delivery (insurance while you are in EU) and subsequent shipping to the US.

Typically you will be provided with a hotel voucher for one night's stay prior to the day of delivery, *all the rest of your vacation plans, including flights to/from are your responsibility*

Also worth noting, Porsche (unlike Audi, M-B, BMW etc) require you to escrow the GST/VAT for the car for the duration of its stay in the EU, now some dealers wave this, some don't, so you may have to give them a check for
a sizable sum, you do not have to do this if you lease, but then the time
your car is allowed to remain in the EU is much shorter (its 6 months when purchasing, I dont recall how long for the lease exactly, circa 14 days?)

I've done ED with Porsche twice (and BMW twice) I highly recommend the experience (especially if Stuttgart is the location - the factory tour and museum are well worth it)

(*) note, thst due to some major plant expansion at Zuffenhausen (Stuttgart) ED there is suspended until sometime in 2018 (when the current ED center is to be relocated to one of the historical buildings on-site) as a result I dont believe you can specify Stuttgart as an ED location, you are restricted to
Leipzig which has limited capacity so it could be tough to obtain ED right now.
Old 06-01-2017 | 03:59 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the responses, All. Very, very helpful.

I am planning on going to Europe in the spring of 2018 anyway, with or without the ED. I just thought it would be a good addition to the trip.

Bummer on the Stuttgart possible closure. My travel plans make Stuttgart the better delivery location.

Thanks, again!
Old 06-01-2017 | 04:22 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

I am planning on going to Europe in the spring of 2018 anyway, with or without the ED. I just thought it would be a good addition to the trip.

Bummer on the Stuttgart possible closure. My travel plans make Stuttgart the better delivery location.

Thanks, again!
Two words DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Did ED at Zuffenhausen with my RS. The museum, factory tour, and overall treatment of taking delivery there was flawless. I will do ED with any European car I buy from here on out. It is just a lot of fun and a great way to enjoy your new car.

The only negative that I can say about my experience over there was after driving the car for 2 weeks I had to wait on it to be delivered back to the US. Those were the slowest 2 months of my life. Everyday was like a kid waiting on Christmas.
Old 06-01-2017 | 04:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, again!
I think Stuttgart (Zuffenhausen) will re-open by 2018
Old 06-01-2017 | 04:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

+1 Do it!
Old 06-01-2017 | 08:04 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Bummer on the Stuttgart possible closure.
My travel plans make Stuttgart the better
delivery location.

Thanks, again!
Originally Posted by GrantG
I think Stuttgart (Zuffenhausen) will
re-open by 2018

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...landscape.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 06-01-2017 | 09:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^^^ this...

the juggling act will be to time the allocation/production slot, and the ED date to
anticipate Zuffenhausen ED reopening...

I guess if you ordered for may-july delivery it might work all going well, but the big if is will PCNA/PAG accept an ED order for such before the facility reopens?
Old 06-01-2017 | 09:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Two words DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Did ED at Zuffenhausen with my RS. The museum, factory tour, and overall treatment of taking delivery there was flawless. I will do ED with any European car I buy from here on out. It is just a lot of fun and a great way to enjoy your new car.

The only negative that I can say about my experience over there was after driving the car for 2 weeks I had to wait on it to be delivered back to the US. Those were the slowest 2 months of my life. Everyday was like a kid waiting on Christmas.
ditto ... did this on '07 with my .1 GT3 and in '15 with my GTS Cabriolet, and if I get a .2 GT3 allocation and I can wrangle ED I will do it again...
Old 06-02-2017 | 02:43 PM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Thanks, again!

Largely due to Rennlist (special mention to Trakcar's opus on the topic), I am doing E/D on my GT3.2 on September 25. The Ring, Spa, Baden-Baden and the Bavarian alps for the next 10 days or so. Can. Not. Wait.
Old 06-02-2017 | 02:48 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Those were the slowest 2 months of my life. Everyday was like a kid waiting on Christmas.
I don't think I could handle that.
Old 06-02-2017 | 04:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bellatrix
Largely due to Rennlist (special mention to Trakcar's opus on the topic), I am doing E/D on my GT3.2 on September 25. The Ring, Spa, Baden-Baden and the Bavarian alps for the next 10 days or so. Can. Not. Wait.
don't forget to do your homework before the Ring and Spa ... if you want to
maximize your GT3 experience ... (assuming you've never been to either/or
before)...
Old 06-02-2017 | 10:14 PM
armbar
Instructor

How does one time the delivery with time that you have scheduled off of work? I go on vacation to Europe every year in May. But when my allocation came up for my 991GT3 with a November delivery they obviously wouldn't store the car over there until May. It seems as if all of us will jump at the first available allocation available . Not many of us would do a late fall, winter, early spring delivery either. Too many mountain pass roads closed and generally crumby weather. So, how do you time the delivery to your preference?

Quick Reply: European delivery