Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do any of u have a race simulator, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:00 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Im wanting one with motion i can connect to a pc and do iracing, I want something plug and play
Old 05-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I have a PS3, Gran Turismo 6, and a Logitech wheel set about 2' front my 50" plasma. Paid maybe $300-$400 total. I think it's great to learn the tracks before a track event. I can do hundreds of laps and momorize every turn, every apex. I know it's not the real thing, but still think it's valuable for what it is.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:24 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I have one with motion running iracing

its good for learning a new track before you go but to me that's abt it

i never use it for a track once I've been there
Old 05-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got two Red Bull play seats set up in tandem in front of two 52' screens in the garage with surround sound. I use PC built for gaming with high end graphics and sound cards. Seats have earthquake shakers attached and F1 Ferrari race wheels. I will say most fun my son and I have, racing F1 on the simulators. Love it. Will post pics. Set up was about $3k.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:24 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I just bought a PC, race seat, Logitech pedals and Occulus Rift. I 'share' with my kids...

The VR is incredible, although a bit disorienting at first. I was going to get the 3 screen set-up but can't see why I'd need that now, unless I'm missing something?

Was mainly going to use it for track orientation for some real races later this year, but seem to have spent a lot of time rallying!
Agree. The best choice is either VR or triple screen setup. If you use iRacing, one larger screen will not give you the immersion, wont display the change in elevation correctly and wont be the right scale for the cars. If you go with triple screens, 27 inch is all that you need - but you will need to be sitting close to the screen. There are calculators online that can provide the correct setup.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:17 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Playseat and thrustmaster t300 setup. $800 and I'm very happy with it (use with ps3/4)
Old 05-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

These are some different routes one can go for getting into it without spending $10k.

This may be one of the best options for adding motion at a reasonable price:
Next Level Racing Motion Platform v3 Next Level Racing Motion Platform v3

A video review for it where it gets pretty awesome marks while being at a great price point:

And for a more bare bones approach this is a pretty sweet set up:
Simulator on the low-low Simulator on the low-low

And this one is for someone wanting better than nothing but doesn't need anything special:
Playseat Challenge Playseat Challenge
Old 05-29-2017, 02:01 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
These are some different routes one can go for getting into it without spending $10k.

This may be one of the best options for adding motion at a reasonable price: Next Level Racing Motion Platform v3

A video review for it where it gets pretty awesome marks while being at a great price point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--3QIBfioE

And for a more bare bones approach this is a pretty sweet set up: Simulator on the low-low

And this one is for someone wanting better than nothing but doesn't need anything special: Playseat Challenge
This is the one that I have just without the motion, but as I mentioned it has different accessories you can add at any time, motion being one of them.

If you do add motion, along with the seat, wheel/pedals, screen or multiple, which does not include the computer if you don't have a good gaming one already or at least a gaming system (Xbox, PS3/4) you can get over 10K pretty easy.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:06 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

A bleeding edge PC gaming system can be $10k by itself. Gotta choose yer poisons.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:32 AM
AlD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coming in late here....

We have a dedicated gaming PC and "improvised" simulator setup that my daughter and I use (mostly my daughter)....iRacing and Kart Racer Pro are the primary uses. We also have a wheel set up on the xbox.

In reality, these are fun (i.e. games, albeit serious for many). The more developed CXC sefups are quite good and can approach "almost real enough to consider them training tools", in particular for track orientation.

For some "sim users" who want more training, most home or even professionally set up simulators have a few gaps 1) the wheel, pedals, brakes, et al are good, but not realistic 2) being able to access the data to see where you are losing time is hard (or, too technical) and 3) there is an absence of roaching....and good coaching is probably the best way to find time in a lap or to improve racecraft

while over the top for most sim users, GPX Lab in Miami (www.gpxlab.com) is probably the best overall "pro level" setup in North America, though the bulk of their clients are hyper serious gentleman racers. It's not for sale, it's an actual training facility, similar in concept to the high-end flight simulators that the FAA let's you count as "actual flight hours"
Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Absolutely i think a PC racing sim setup is worth it. I have one and use it almost every day and i know it has made me a better driver. Plus its free track time and the competition is great.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:59 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO i have only used low end Pedals, wheels etc. and the timing is all off from wheel turn to screen. I could not use it and sold the stuff. If you want your inputs to realistically show on screen I think many more $$ is needed
Old 05-30-2017, 06:07 PM
FredGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've spent nearly twenty years refining mine. I use a D-Box system for motion, Bodnar wheel and Heusinkveld pedals. I make my own wheels and have custom code to make the wheel functions as realistic as possible.

I do take it seriously and race once a week in a competitive iRacing league in the UK. Link attached to last weeks race which is broadcast live on youtube. I came second in this after being on pole. One of our guys said years ago the cars and track are simulated, the racing is real.

I do have a rift but prefer triple monitors for serious use.

I don't get to do many track days and find this keeps my speed down on the road.

Regards
Fred

Last edited by FredGT3; 05-30-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:57 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by FredGT3
I've spent nearly twenty years refining mine. I use a D-Box system for motion, Bodnar wheel and Heusinkveld pedals. I make my own wheels and have custom code to make the wheel functions as realistic as possible.

I do take it seriously and race once a week in a competitive iRacing league in the UK. Link attached to last weeks race which is broadcast live on youtube. I came second in this after being on pole. One of our guys said years ago the cars and track are simulated, the racing is real.

I do have a rift but prefer triple monitors for serious use.

I don't get to do many track days and find this keeps my speed down on the road.

Regards
Fred
Pretty Cool... Can you take a picture of your setup and post it?
Old 05-31-2017, 02:04 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

how much does a d-box cost? that looks like some serious racing

Quick Reply: do any of u have a race simulator, is it worth it?