Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 12:32 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Just get any beat up trucklet (small pickup). They're dime a dozen and easy/cheap to fix/maintain.
Well actually, this was my first thought. It's harder to find than you think when you are bottom feeding. In particular the ones with a good reliability reputation like Toyota....
Old 12-03-2019, 12:33 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

I actually have spotted a Toyota Sequoia at a used car dealership in Fremont. If it is still around I may go and check it out. It will be interesting to see the sales guys attitude when I pull up in the GT3T. Could be fun
Old 12-03-2019, 12:41 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Chevy, Ford, Dodge also work and any gas station shop can fix them. No need to get fancy for a beater.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:44 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Fancy is not the right word for any of the stuff I glanced at online
Old 12-03-2019, 08:34 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 638 Posts

What about renting from Enterprise (or any convenient vendor) for the few times you need it?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:11 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
What about renting from Enterprise (or any convenient vendor) for the few times you need it?
or Ubering which I have done a few times. Thing is with bike riding you do not plan that far in advance, at least I do not. It goes like this, wake up , feel like mountain biking today rather than leaving the house with the road bike. Or the night before friends ask to join him in Marin... it is useful to have a car then. The other thing is that I love my GT3T as a daily but sometimes it’s not the ideal car....
Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 638 Posts

^good point - leaves no room for spontaneity
Old 12-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

hmmm, a few outside the box thoughts Lionel....depending on what size bike you ride, a pair of wheel bags and a "bike bag" would allow you to stuff the bike inside the car. I've managed to get a 58 road bike as well as Large MTB inside my 996 on a few occasions (not at the same time). It's tight, requires a lot of disassembly, but works. I know a few folks have installed a trailer hitch under the license plate to haul wheel trailers....suspect you could pick up a trailer hitch mount. Of course leaving the car at the trail head is another concern altogether.

Honda Pilots are a great option too...large enough to put the bike inside the car without disassembly if needed.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:51 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Freier
hmmm, a few outside the box thoughts Lionel....depending on what size bike you ride, a pair of wheel bags and a "bike bag" would allow you to stuff the bike inside the car. I've managed to get a 58 road bike as well as Large MTB inside my 996 on a few occasions (not at the same time). It's tight, requires a lot of disassembly, but works. I know a few folks have installed a trailer hitch under the license plate to haul wheel trailers....suspect you could pick up a trailer hitch mount. Of course leaving the car at the trail head is another concern altogether.

Honda Pilots are a great option too...large enough to put the bike inside the car without disassembly if needed.
I am 6'5" and ride 61cm road and XL MTB. There is no way it would fit inside with the LWB.... I did not even try but I am pretty certain. As for the hitch I do not think I have ever seen an option for a 991.

Yep looking at Pilots too. I guess people are keeping their reliable beater trucks for the most part as it's really almost impossible to find something cheap that has less than 150K miles. Not that 150K miles worries me as I will not put many miles on this but I would like something that starts reliably as if the damn thing does not start it truly defeats the point then !
Old 12-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Doh, forgot about the LWBs...that's not going to work. But on another note, once the weather drys out would love to get a road ride going. I'm 6'3" and usually have the gravy train drafting behind me...would be nice to share the load with another tall person
Old 12-04-2019, 09:49 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Sure we can go on a ride !
Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Freier
Doh, forgot about the LWBs...that's not going to work. But on another note, once the weather drys out would love to get a road ride going. I'm 6'3" and usually have the gravy train drafting behind me...would be nice to share the load with another tall person
sure, I love sitting on freight train's wheels
can't walk now so riding would be hard hahaha
I haven't killed myself yet as the wet weather would not haver allowed me to ride even if I could
march we are planning a baby eat bike drive tour
details TBD
but 2 days peninsula, 2 days Marin, than maybe drive to Paso Robles or Santa Barbara for another ride
Old 12-05-2019, 12:43 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Here is part of my “practical fleet.” I bought the jeep for $1500. Put about that in it after I got it, but I am an OCD porsche owner so it only gets the best parts and stuff and I did things like replace the entire brake system including all new stainless hard lines when it needed one line because that’s just how I roll. What kills them is rust which should be a non-issue for you in Cali. Any 91 and up YJ or TJ with the 4.0 straight six is cummins level reliable and with metal bumpers you won’t care if it get bumped on the street. I can also highly recommend any toyota pickup (as you can see), but they are longer so harder to street park and any tacoma seems to cost more than $5k in California and even the pre tacoma pickups are spendy. If it were not for frame rust and accidents, I am pretty confident every 4.0 wrangler and every 4 cylinder tacoma and EFI pickup could be kept on the road forever at minimal cost.

The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:05 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sure, I love sitting on freight train's wheels
can't walk now so riding would be hard hahaha
I haven't killed myself yet as the wet weather would not haver allowed me to ride even if I could
march we are planning a baby eat bike drive tour
details TBD
but 2 days peninsula, 2 days Marin, than maybe drive to Paso Robles or Santa Barbara for another ride
if SB i will meet u there
Old 12-05-2019, 02:51 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts

Long time no see on RL DRL! Gotta update that avatar pic

Southmost will likely be Paso Robles. Come up to join.

Marin section will likely be Tam and Alpine Dam. Maybe Marshall Wall too. Oh and Bovine pastries and Marin Sun Farms burgers!

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches