Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 03:56 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

I need expert advice on purchasing a bike. I'm a young 70 year old guy The last time I rode a bike was 30 years ago. Used to ride 400 miles a week on a Colnago . Is there a bike that has road and off road capabilities ? I live at 7000 ft. My budget is $2K. Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-28-2019, 04:42 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

how "off road"? For dirt roads, there's a whole new class of bikes that has emerged in the past several years for "gravel" riding. if you're looking to crossover between that type of riding and the road, a gravel bike can suffice for both. Tires are wider to ease the dirt road, but the bike geometry is very similar to road. Might start there with your research, and look for used Titanium, it doesn't go bad...
Old 07-28-2019, 07:09 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wru
how "off road"? For dirt roads, there's a whole new class of bikes that has emerged in the past several years for "gravel" riding. if you're looking to crossover between that type of riding and the road, a gravel bike can suffice for both. Tires are wider to ease the dirt road, but the bike geometry is very similar to road. Might start there with your research, and look for used Titanium, it doesn't go bad...
thank you. yes gravel bike is the perfect description
Old 07-28-2019, 11:04 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I ride MTB as I like riding on forest preserve terrain as here in the Midwest it is pretty flat. This new series/model "gravel" bike has a good comparison to what I thought would be a good mid-point bike between road and MTB. Hope this helps you.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

LINK:

Originally Posted by wru
Originally Posted by n2cars
thank you. yes gravel bike is the perfect description
Old 07-28-2019, 11:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Freier

Yes, blue steelman is part of the stable. Great bike! My everyday is the Tarmac Disc, just does everything well. You're a better man than me, I'm just about to roll out on a ride, and hope to get back earlier enough to take the p-car over to the coast (pending the wife/girls aren't home when I leave :-) If ya see a Tarmac with chrome tape, give a holler!
noted on chrome tape.
with sunglasses on , I don't see much hahaha. just enough to avoid hitting trees and cars.
was out to pagemill today, HOT even at 8am

most my bikes have bright bar tape and most my jersey have junk food on it.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:33 PM
My 911
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

After a morning of driving and then socializing at Cars and Coffee, a Saturday night dinner, Provincetown Mass.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:35 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
I ride MTB as I like riding on forest preserve terrain as here in the Midwest it is pretty flat. This new series/model "gravel" bike has a good comparison to what I thought would be a good mid-point bike between road and MTB. Hope this helps you.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

LINK:
Cyclo Cross versus Gravel bike
great video. thank you
Old 07-29-2019, 01:17 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

n2cars: any good local bike shops near you? Best to try a couple and see what fits first. Most shops will push their own brands so ride a few.

Current faves in the budget range are Specialized Diverge and Trek Checkpoint. Both brands tend to have good customer service as well.

The other nice part about gravel bikes for all around use is that aside from the relaxed geometry, the big tires make the ride very comfy. I have a Santa Cruz Stigmata. Great bikes and lots in the used market.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:19 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Steak and roasted potato salad.

Also thinking about taking my 993 C4 cab to an off-road overlanding festival next weekend. Sort of want to do donuts on the grass and I think some of the trails are sufficiently mild that I don’t think I would have an issue (she is at stock US height and has LSD because she is a C4). No one shows up in a Porsche, even cayennes or macans. Anyone planning on going? It is near state college PA? Anyone into the overland scene? You all have raptors, right. 🤣

http://www.overlandfestival.com/

Otherwise I will bring one of the actually suitable 4x4 vehicles (I have six, three shown below). Not a #brandist ok maybe a little as I really like land rovers.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:22 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Love the airshow pics.

Chrome tape -- very shiny. How does that not get slippery?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:14 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Love the airshow pics.

Here is another one. Night airshow at Oshkosh is always amazing. Was there for 5 days. Only 355 days until the next one!

Old 07-29-2019, 12:12 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChrisF
n2cars: any good local bike shops near you? Best to try a couple and see what fits first. Most shops will push their own brands so ride a few.

Current faves in the budget range are Specialized Diverge and Trek Checkpoint. Both brands tend to have good customer service as well.

The other nice part about gravel bikes for all around use is that aside from the relaxed geometry, the big tires make the ride very comfy. I have a Santa Cruz Stigmata. Great bikes and lots in the used market.
Yes, lots of good bike shops near me. I think I need to up my $2k budget though
Old 07-29-2019, 03:34 PM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by wru
let's see that red whip!
She's a lot of fun!

Originally Posted by mooty
noted on chrome tape.
with sunglasses on , I don't see much hahaha. just enough to avoid hitting trees and cars.
was out to pagemill today, HOT even at 8am

most my bikes have bright bar tape and most my jersey have junk food on it.
I'll keep an eye out of the bright/multi colored tape, especially now that I know you carry treats

Originally Posted by fbroen
Love the airshow pics.

It's not bad, except for hot days and climbing in the saddle -t hen it is definitely slippery. Supacaz has some pretty cool offerings, will try another combo when this wears out.

Originally Posted by n2cars
Yes, lots of good bike shops near me. I think I need to up my $2k budget though
Chris has solid advise, ride a few different options. In addition to different frame geometry, bike mfg's will spec the bikes with either Shimano or SRAM (sometimes Campy). Each has their own unique engagement, and people tend to prefer one method over another. Of course a littler extra in the budget moves you up on the feature list too!
Old 07-29-2019, 03:52 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Chris has solid advise, ride a few different options. In addition to different frame geometry, bike mfg's will spec the bikes with either Shimano or SRAM (sometimes Campy). Each has their own unique engagement, and people tend to prefer one method over another. Of course a littler extra in the budget moves you up on the feature list too!
I live on a gravel road bordering a state park/forest and I've been thinking to try me one of these gravel (mixed use) bikes. Where does their $ curve reach saturation and diminishing returns? Or how much would you need to spend to get almost every good thing then need to go 2x or 3x from there for only marginal improvement? What's the best gravel bike with the best bang/buck?
Old 07-29-2019, 04:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by My 911

After a morning of driving and then socializing at Cars and Coffee, a Saturday night dinner, Provincetown Mass.
That looks tasty. What restaurant was it? Headed over on our boat later this week.

She's a lot of fun!

Sweet Stang.

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches