Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Next Drivetribe video: Is GT3 better than a 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/989465-next-drivetribe-video-is-gt3-better-than-a-911r.html)

Chris3963 05-09-2017 04:30 PM

Agree, although the term he used is "synthetic agility"...what the hell is synthetic agility?

Mika911 05-09-2017 05:36 PM

Entertaining review but without consideration for reality. Bit absurd to make such extreme comparisons between two cars that will feel nigh on identical to most drivers.

Footsoldier 05-09-2017 06:58 PM

He should start a thread on here about how the R is worthless now, just to complete the cliche. It's all getting a bit tedious.

As he said, the R has lighter steering, more agility (which doesn't feel contrived to me, but that's not the point), is less planted, (smaller contact patch, no aero) and is not as focused on speed as the GT3. Not to mention the SMFW, the sound deadening etc. Shock news -they are different! (No doubt the R would be even better with the new engine, but they'd still be different).

Which style you prefer is personal, but the whole point of the R was to be slightly different from a GT3/RS. It still is.

I also wonder how many people who were able to pay $500k for an R are crying into their beer because a journalist thinks they're "idiots" and then giggles at his own 'audacity'...at least it will cheer up a few on here though.

Footsoldier 05-09-2017 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mika911 (Post 14172190)
Entertaining review but without consideration for reality. Bit absurd to make such extreme comparisons between two cars that will feel nigh on identical to most drivers.

I drove the R and the .1GT3 back to back last week and they are pretty different.

Given the .2GT3 seems to do everything the .1 does but slightly better, I'd wager they are even more different now.

STG 05-09-2017 07:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
MSRP to MSRP .... R, RS, or GT3 all great cars but different. Prices pretty much same ballpark overall.

The point he's making is for current R asking prices that the .2 GT3 is a better car for the $$$.

I don't think he should have mentioned the "market price" when comparing a model anyway. That is fluid and changes daily. Compare the car for what it is or the manufacturers MSRP. I think the average person hears so much $500K, that few even know the MSRP of an R. At MSRP it's a fine model that fits in nicely between the GT3 and RS.

Attachment 1163946Attachment 1163947Attachment 1163945

unotaz 05-09-2017 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BCMgunner (Post 14171870)
To me, the R was Porsche's response to the popularity of the Singer... the R was a "more attainable, more capable" Singer, and now the .2 3 a "more attainable, more capable" R...

but at 500k.. I'd have gone Singer... like some may have gone R over the .2 3 if money didn't matter.

Im a small fish, new to the game, and couldn't be happier with my .2 allocation! :jumper:

Jethro just may have edged Harris out as my fav. He just released a video on his personal 911 that was very well done.

More like 650K for the Singer, plus the donor car. I just specced one out with the 4.0L engine, all wheel drive and ceramics, various other details and it came out to be 660K. The donor car is about 40K, so it's about 700K. At this price, I'm gonna spend it on a true Porsche, like a 993 Turbo S.

unotaz 05-09-2017 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 14172360)
MSRP to MSRP .... R, RS, or GT3 all great cars but different. Prices pretty much same ballpark overall.

The point he's making is for current R asking prices that the .2 GT3 is a better car for the $$$.

I don't think he should have mentioned the "market price" when comparing a model anyway. That is fluid and changes daily. Compare the car for what it is or the manufacturers MSRP. I think the average person hears so much $500K, that few even know the MSRP of an R. At MSRP it's a fine model that fits in nicely between the GT3 and RS.

Agreed 100%. I would even argue the GT3RS is a better value car at MSRP than the R. But when you start factoring in production numbers and the exclusivity, that's when the R becomes a better value proposition.

BCMgunner 05-09-2017 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by unotaz (Post 14172369)
More like 650K for the Singer, plus the donor car. I just specced one out with the 4.0L engine, all wheel drive and ceramics, various other details and it came out to be 660K. The donor car is about 40K, so it's about 700K. At this price, I'm gonna spend it on a true Porsche, like a 993 Turbo S.

Please go Singer and post pictures... so beautiful!

Youre a very lucky person either way, congrats! :cheers:

bronson7 05-09-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by unotaz (Post 14172369)

Can't wait to see this one after how you meticulously planned out your R.

Jimmy-D 05-09-2017 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 14172360)

Attachment 1163946Attachment 1163947Attachment 1163945

We frequent the same place. It is a nice looking "R" they have roped off.

They still can not get rid of that Turbo

bronson7 05-09-2017 08:47 PM

Wow, Jethro sure uses some strong words at the end of that video. What will he possibly say about the MT? It should be interesting.

OG911 05-09-2017 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chris3963 (Post 14171423)

Thanks

Footsoldier 05-09-2017 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by isv (Post 14171945)
And oddly enough I can't remember any criticism of this 'artificial agility' in the R when all the reviewers, bovingdon included were mooning over it last year.....

Bovingdon last year, when it was "old school"...

"Immediately, the R feels very different to a GT3 or GT3 RS. The steering is much lighter, and thanks to a new programme for the active rear-wheel steering, it feels faster, too. It’s super alert and almost nervous at first, while the ride is also more supple and the sense of locked-down invincibility is gone. Instead, the 911 R flows and bobs over the surface, with more of an old-school 911 vibe to it."

Full review here, which, correctly, says the R offers something different to the GT3:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...-r-2016-review

ipse dixit 05-09-2017 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Footsoldier (Post 14172600)
Bovingdon last year, when it was "old school"...

"Immediately, the R feels very different to a GT3 or GT3 RS. The steering is much lighter, and thanks to a new programme for the active rear-wheel steering, it feels faster, too. It’s super alert and almost nervous at first, while the ride is also more supple and the sense of locked-down invincibility is gone. Instead, the 911 R flows and bobs over the surface, with more of an old-school 911 vibe to it."

Full review here, which, correctly, says the R offers something different to the GT3:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...-r-2016-review

Just because it's different doesn't mean it can't also be better.

captainkirk 05-09-2017 09:47 PM

As I predicted much early on...The new GT3 is the R for the masses. Awesome!!!!!

Both are great is just that new Gt3 is cheaper than R and for price of 1 lightly used R, I can get 2 GT3 s(one manual and one pdk) and or maybe 1 extra GTS also...so 3 cars.

Thank You Porsche for bringing manual in the new GT3