Sponsored by:

The true value of the R

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
First of all, the MSRP on my PTS Brewster Green 911R was close to 281k. I had close to 100k worth of options in total, including 60k worth of CXX options.

Second, I have driven the 911R media test car about 8 months in advance in Germany before my car arrived. Granted, my allocation was approved before I drove it, but I had to the right to cancel at anytime should I not like the car after the drive.

Third, I have driven the 918 prototype cars on 4 separate occasions before committing my 200k deposit. With each subsequent test drive, the car got better and better since the 918 was still going through development.

Any other questions?
Sorry I call that score board! This thread needs to come to a close, and others need to get out of others pocket books. Many people here stroke checks for cars, and it's a decimal point on ones pay check. Value is what one person sees to suit their needs. Bottom line the R is a special car regardless what people think. It's the same reason many want a GT3 minus the wing.....guess what they will add R stripes if available I bet money on it!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

OMG. just drive what you have and enjoy it.
i have a few expensive cars and a few ratty porsches. i dont recall how much i paid for them. i just drive them and smile that i am luckly to have what i got. many have better cars, some have lesser cars. but it's just a fkg car. i dont judget their success or intelligence based on what they buy or value . last i heard mr w buffet drives a pos.... let's move on.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:13 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
OMG. just drive what you have and enjoy it.
i have a few expensive cars and a few ratty porsches. i dont recall how much i paid for them. i just drive them and smile that i am luckly to have what i got. many have better cars, some have lesser cars. but it's just a fkg car. i dont judget their success or intelligence based on what they buy or value . last i heard mr w buffet drives a pos.... let's move on.
It's pretty simple.

If you buy the car because you like it. You don't care what other people think.
The only reason guys are so defensive about their cars is because of value.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Same thing goes with the CGT. How many of you have actually driven a CGT in real life? Yet, almost everyone praises it. Why? Because some journalists says so? Or some owners writes about their experience and loves it?
It depends. A reasonable judgement about a car can be made on the spec/design of the car imo. Now obviously one couldn't tell how it would be exactly like to drive but the cgt has a lot to recommend for a lot of people. It is made exceptionally well, has a very high revving v10 with minimal flywheel, has 600+hp and weighs ~1450kg real world so the power to weight is let's say sufficient especially given the lack of driver aids. It was also the very best car Porsche could make in the time their best standard cars (6gt3 and 6rs) were extremly focused so it's a reasonable assumption the cgt would be not unlike one of those cars to drive in terms of involvement, only even more so probably.

How's any of that not praise worthy even without needing to have driven it?

I'd agree with you though that without driving the R and/or .2gt3 it would be impossible to say which was the better car (and that would be in any case a purely subjective call) despite the rather smugly confident predictions by some with .2gt3 allocations it seems.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:36 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Has anyone who bought an R - in primary or secondary market - complained of disappointment with the car? Felt shortchanged with respect to its value? Regretted the purchase after the fact?

The problem with CONVINCING A STRANGER ON THE INTERNET that your assessment of their financial situation is superior to their own is that they hold an asymmetric informational advantage over you... Enjoy your life, toys, pursuits, whatever. We'll all be dead one day.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:19 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 998 Likes on 433 Posts

Both are fantastic cars. Both are special and unique in their own rights. Again, this is just my opinion after owning/driving both cars. Yet one is universally praised on Rennlist and the other one is hated/bashed on.

Even Walter Rohrl (and most of the PAG board members) has a 911R and 997.2 4.0 in his personal collection. Do you see him owning a 991 GT3?

Of course, what does Walter and the rest of the PAG board members know? Everyone should find out themselves firsthand

Originally Posted by isv
It depends. A reasonable judgement about a car can be made on the spec/design of the car imo. Now obviously one couldn't tell how it would be exactly like to drive but the cgt has a lot to recommend for a lot of people. It is made exceptionally well, has a very high revving v10 with minimal flywheel, has 600+hp and weighs ~1450kg real world so the power to weight is let's say sufficient especially given the lack of driver aids. It was also the very best car Porsche could make in the time their best standard cars (6gt3 and 6rs) were extremly focused so it's a reasonable assumption the cgt would be not unlike one of those cars to drive in terms of involvement, only even more so probably.

How's any of that not praise worthy even without needing to have driven it?

I'd agree with you though that without driving the R and/or .2gt3 it would be impossible to say which was the better car (and that would be in any case a purely subjective call) despite the rather smugly confident predictions by some with .2gt3 allocations it seems.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2017, 02:26 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Has anyone who bought an R - in primary or secondary market - complained of disappointment with the car? Felt shortchanged with respect to its value? Regretted the purchase after the fact?

The problem with CONVINCING A STRANGER ON THE INTERNET that your assessment of their financial situation is superior to their own is that they hold an asymmetric informational advantage over you... Enjoy your life, toys, pursuits, whatever. We'll all be dead one day.
I know to about 4 people that have paid 470-530k GBP, in order to own an R that's starts life at 135k, plus bits

All are absolutely chuffed to bits, 2 are in large private collections, get waxed every week, the other 2 get used not daily but a few times a month.

At the end the day its just a amount to own something..

As you say, you can not take it with you....
Old 05-20-2017, 02:38 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Let's not miss the issue. None of us have said the .2GT3 is a better car than the R. It may be faster but it's driving characteristics are different from the R. Some would prefer the R over the GT3 because of its driving dynamics. I get that.

The issue of cost which was raised by Jethro in his review of the GT3. He spent an inordinate amount of time comparing the cars and concluded paying $500,000 for an R is crazy when compared to the GT3. That's it, nothing more. You can agree with him or not. I happen to agree with him.

My judgement should not be called into question based on not have driven the R. Very few of us are given test drives of new GT models. Yet we buy them primarily on what we read and see. Most of us have not seen the 2GT3 in the flesh. But we all are hoping for an allocation.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:59 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
The issue of cost which was raised by Jethro in his review of the GT3. He spent an inordinate amount of time comparing the cars and concluded paying $500,000 for an R is crazy when compared to the GT3.
For clarity actually he said 500k GB Pounds. That's $650k USD at today's exchange rates. And if one of you paid that I'm sorry to say I fully concur with Jethro's conclusion.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:10 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Let's not miss the issue. None of us have said the .2GT3 is a better car than the R. It may be faster but it's driving characteristics are different from the R. Some would prefer the R over the GT3 because of its driving dynamics. I get that.

The issue of cost which was raised by Jethro in his review of the GT3. He spent an inordinate amount of time comparing the cars and concluded paying $500,000 for an R is crazy when compared to the GT3. That's it, nothing more. You can agree with him or not. I happen to agree with him.
Well...... I'll say it.

The manual .2 GT3 is a better car to drive than the 911R. There done.

Of course this is based solely on driving my .1 GT3, my friends 911R, and the internet reviews of both the R and the manual .2 GT3 by the same persons.

That doesn't mean the R isn't a fantastic car, it is. I just don't think it's worth over MSRP, but that's me.
The R is a great car, just not worth any more money than a manual .2 GT3, which is a better car in every way but rear visibility.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:49 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
For clarity actually he said 500k GB Pounds. That's $650k USD at today's exchange rates. And if one of you paid that I'm sorry to say I fully concur with Jethro's conclusion.
But why limit the conclusion of being an idiot (or worse) to those paying 500k whether £ or $ for the R? In the uk, rhd 4.0s seem to be going at £500+k, 50% over the lhd cars and more than 2x that of the rhd 3.8rs. That's every bit as crazy if not more and yet Bovingdon only sees fit to take a swipe at the R when it's the entire market that's gone mental.

I don't have a beef in this one as I don't have a R nor would I have been interested in it outside of being a financial investment. The same applies to the .2gt3, I'd obviously like to try one to see what the overblown hype about it is about but I'm also reasonably certain it holds little to no attraction as a car to drive for me based on the gt4 and .1gt3. As mentioned in the other thread though, I do think it's pretty poor form for a supposedly respected journalist to make the comment he did just for a cheap giggle.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:15 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Originally Posted by Petevb
But is it not all just relative, Knowing Jethro as I do, his comment was more in line with jest than anything else, of cause he's right, who would pay 500k or whatever when the 111k GT3 dives like this...

But to a collector that has a few hundred Mill net worth, 500k is just an amount required to get the car you want.....Don't see how this is Nuts.....

The Market is very effective when it comes to pricing something, easy call in my view that in a few years from now, todays R prices will be seen as buying opportunities'......
Old 05-20-2017, 05:13 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Apolo1
But is it not all just relative, Knowing Jethro as I do, his comment was more in line with jest than anything else, of cause he's right, who would pay 500k or whatever when the 111k GT3 dives like this...

But to a collector that has a few hundred Mill net worth, 500k is just an amount required to get the car you want.....Don't see how this is Nuts.....

The Market is very effective when it comes to pricing something, easy call in my view that in a few years from now, todays R prices will be seen as buying opportunities'......
And that's the problem....these cars become investments instead of being what they were build to do...BE DRIVEN! Buying an R as an investment is pure speculation, especially if you are paying 2x MSRP. If and when I buy a 997 4.0, I can promise you that it will be driven.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:48 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
And that's the problem....these cars become investments instead of being what they were build to do...BE DRIVEN! Buying an R as an investment is pure speculation, especially if you are paying 2x MSRP. If and when I buy a 997 4.0, I can promise you that it will be driven.
The ones that I know that paid 500k etc for an R, could not give a hoots if it goes to a Mill or 100k, they just want a 991 R, period...
Old 05-20-2017, 09:41 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Apolo1
The ones that I know that paid 500k etc for an R, could not give a hoots if it goes to a Mill or 100k, they just want a 991 R, period...
Some, and I say "some" want a 991 R, just to say they have one.

Quick Reply: The true value of the R