Street Driver
59.52%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

991.2GT3; Track It vs. Street Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by DannieK
I tried track and didn't care for it. I drive because I love driving, fast or slow, and a GT car represents, for me, the ultimate driver's car.
Does not compute. The "driving" we can do on the road is a pale shadow of what's possible on track. This is a track car (not race car) which can be driven on street (without needing to change tires), not a street car.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Does not compute. The "driving" we can do on the road is a pale shadow of what's possible on track. This is a track car (not race car) which can be driven on street (without needing to change tires), not a street car.
The 911R is unambiguously a street car and is marketed as such by Porsche. In your view, what (apart from the wing) real differentiators does the GT3 have over the 911R which make it not a street car?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:02 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bardman
The 911R is unambiguously a street car and is marketed as such by Porsche. In your view, what (apart from the wing) real differentiators does the GT3 have over the 911R which make it not a street car?
I haven't driven the R. I have a lot of road and track miles in the GT3, and my opinion is based on that experience. The GT3 generally isn't fun on the road until driven at speeds way beyond speed limits. On the track, the car is epic.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:11 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

I haven't driven the R. I have a lot of road and track miles in the GT3, and my opinion is based on that experience. The GT3 generally isn't fun on the road until driven at speeds way beyond speed limits. On the track, the car is epic.
Can't really find fault with that.... yes, epic on the track but I think the GT3 is always fun, on the road or even when sitting in the garage when I am admiring it or when I am polishing it up, speaking from experience with my 997.2 GT3.... can't wait for the new one!
Old 05-04-2017, 01:11 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^My Gosh does that GT3 look freakin awesome.
Yeah the more I see that guards red the more I like it.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:27 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to get the car before I determine my final game plan. There is no doubt I will track it; it is just a question of how much. Could be 30 days/yr like my last GT3, or could be 10 or so, with my primary track car being my Cayman. The consumables costs were getting to be a bit much on the GT3 and driving the Cayman more will certainly help with that. For me, the GT3 is all about faster lap times, but I sometimes feel it is a waste to beat it up on really hot days with crowded tracks. Bringing both to the track gives me options and a backup plan in the event something goes wrong with one of the cars. I just need to remain in the CHIN VIP program in order to do that. However, driving enough to stay there isn't very good for my retirement planning.

Everyone clearly has the right to do whatever they want with their cars, but what I can't understand is the constant stream of opinions of which models are more "epic" by folks that have never driven them at their limits on track. "Drives like it is on rails" is a dead giveaway that you are driving really, really slow. I agree with CJ - if you want epic on the street, go back a few generations. If you want the fastest lap times - go with whatever the latest model is.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I've never club raced and never will as I'm not an aggressive passer, but I understand what you are saying. I have no desire and not a lot of time to trailer a car myself, I much rather drive it up to the local tracks or pay someone to do "arrive & drive" service for me. DE/private track days are my way of blowing off steam and having some fun.
​​​​​​Arrive and Drive is the only way I do it now. Costs more per day but I get a more hours in and better quality hours. Price per hour for me is about the same as dealing with doing it myself.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:28 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

Bump
Old 05-04-2017, 04:08 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed same with the 997.2 it was the best car when driven hard and feeling suicidal but never that fun at low speeds(tall gearing,low torque and too much grip does not equate to fun car at road legal speeds)

Granted i don't drive like that anymore and there are a lot more cameras on the street anyways i still ordered a .2 with a manual because its the best manual car you can buy today at any price. Now the .2 has shorter gearing and more torque at lower revs so im hoping it will be more enjoyable when you're not trying to be walter rohrl.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fun2k
Agreed same with the 997.2 it was the best car when driven hard and feeling suicidal but never that fun at low speeds(tall gearing,low torque and too much grip does not equate to fun car at road legal speeds)

Granted i don't drive like that anymore and there are a lot more cameras on the street anyways i still ordered a .2 with a manual because its the best manual car you can buy today at any price. Now the .2 has shorter gearing and more torque at lower revs so im hoping it will be more enjoyable when you're not trying to be walter rohrl.
Actually, I have a manual 997.1 C2S and I find it to be the funnest of our Porsches on the road at sane speeds. To me, the 997 is the last platform which retains most of the classic 911 feel.

But the 991 GT3 is still a real 911 (very evident when you compare it back to back with a Cayman), and is a great car.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Those of you who are claiming you must track the GT3 to enjoy are missing the point of the car. For years Porsche's were considered terrific sport cars but for them to be truly enjoyed you had to drive them close to their limit. The GT3 changed that.

While driving a GT3 you can be at lower speeds and enjoy the exhilarating sound, the precision of steering, the low end torque which project and instill in the driver that he is driving a race car on a street. This is what Ferrari has excelled at. In a Ferrari, at low speeds the driver/owner felt a sense of occasion driving the car. So it will be with the .2GT3.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:19 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

^ How about sitting in it while it's parked in the garage?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:57 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spirited road driving around Atlanta is maybe 5 seconds of open throttle and 90% of that is up a 4 lane highway. Or take 2 hours to get up into the mountains but then the chance of getting stuck for miles behind mini vans and lorry's is high unless you do early mornings. The RS would be wasted for this stuff. Only on a track can i feel safe that i will not encounter bicyclists, blind drives, most animals, hikers, police or people pushing their broken car "up" the hill on a blind curve. Also where can i hold throttle mostly open for 30 minutes or more. Track to me is liberating and frankly less dangerous IMO. Towing to track sucks (i gave that up) so its nice to have a car that does both track and street well, IE does not, in general, have to be fixed every time its driven hard. GT3 is the ultimate dual purpose tool.

All that said I had the privilege of driving an older Boxster Spyder not too long ago - definitely a fun street car no matter the speed. if just street i would get one of those...
Old 05-04-2017, 06:02 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I have a manual 997.1 C2S and I find it to be the funnest of our Porsches on the road at sane speeds. To me, the 997 is the last platform which retains most of the classic 911 feel.

But the 991 GT3 is still a real 911 (very evident when you compare it back to back with a Cayman), and is a great car.
i meant to imply 997.2 gt3.That engine wanted to be revved ... a lot... and that wasn't possible without exceeding the speed limit quickly due to the tall gearing.The rs and 4.0 had shorter gears which helped a little, too bad never got to drive those cars.
But one day i will find a sucker getting out of his old gt3.2 rs on a track day with the engine running
Old 05-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one. To me it depends on the road. 55 MPH limit and 20 MPH turns make this a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: 991.2GT3; Track It vs. Street Driving