Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should 911R owners be barred from immediate resale?
Yes: these cars were designed for enthusiasts and should be in the right hands
55.00%
No: these cars are simply investments and should be viewed as nothing more
45.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Profiting off 911 R lack of availability: right or wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017 | 08:06 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
Good question. If someone is willing to pay $500k for R at 991 units, certainly they could build 2000 units at $185k and sell them all. They must have a good reason to leave $50million in profit on the table.
Somewhat OT: Just saw the 928 GTS avatar... Perfect example of an enthusiast's car. Plenty of cars out there for enthusiasts... Doesn't just have to be the latest and greatest hard-to-get model.
Old 05-02-2017 | 08:25 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Somewhat OT: Just saw the 928 GTS avatar... Perfect example of an enthusiast's car. Plenty of cars out there for enthusiasts... Doesn't just have to be the latest and greatest hard-to-get model.
Agree - but those hard to get models reflect the same thing going on with the new hard to get models.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 05-02-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2017 | 10:19 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Guys, keeping production numbers low for a reason is nothing new. Study the brand Nike and you'll see why this is done on purpose.

Those that believe Porsche is only building 911R for enthusiasts is missing a huge part of why Porsche does what they do. Don't be fooled. If Porsche wanted these for enthusiasts only, they'd require folks to hold the cars for longer.

Those that double their money in a few weeks with any risky investment are taking a risk that many many other risk takers have lost lots of money on. Just because the car market is hot now doesn't mean that history hasn't proven to be ripe with MOST car purchases over time proving to be losses and not gains. Porsche's may have fared better, but many other brands have been dogs. People who flip real estate have, too, lost lots and lots of money. For every person that flips a house and doubles, there's someone of the other end that lost big time to create the situation that allowed the discount in the first place.

The problem, though, is that some folks just only care about money, and don't care if someone else suffers as long as they gain. But that argument is a tough one to sell to the general public when the item under discussion is a quarter million dollar Porsche. If it were food or water or gasoline in time of crisis, the argument might be different.

There was study about supply and demand in New York during massive flooding and power outages not that long ago where New York previously did not cap fuel prices, and gas stations were thought to be gouging customers with $33/gal pricing. People thought that was unfair, so the next time around, New York decided that capping gas at $5/gal was smart. The result was the some folks could afford to buy 50 gallons at $5/gal and re-sell on the open market at a much higher premium. And some gas stations ran out of fuel. Sometimes putting a cap on pricing due to supply/demand concerns backfires.
Old 05-02-2017 | 10:27 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Agree - but those hard to get models reflect the same thing going on with the new hard to get models.
They do now (or are starting to) but they're still somewhat affordable and were really affordable just a few years ago, but nobody wanted them because they weren't cool. Plenty of room in some of these cars.
Old 05-02-2017 | 10:59 AM
Cyrek
Pro

It's just a shame that a great and coveted drivers car gets garaged because it's too valuable to drive. Boardwalk in dallas just sold a white with red stripe R $460k. A dealer friend of mine in Kansas sold the same white car with green stripe to a customer for $700k a month ago. The dealership owner sold the car for $700k.
Old 05-02-2017 | 10:59 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
I don't know if that is a fair comparison. Anyone can buy real estate. A free and fair market is open to all investors. This is a closed system: where insiders buy assets on the cheap and re-sell to the general public; an oligopolistic situation.
While in general you are correct in theory real estate is an open market to invest in but there have been and will always be deals off market, never available to the general market. So it is a fair comparison and not that different, as the owners of those assets decide how they want to sell "their" asset.

That is exactly what Porsche is doing, they are deciding how to sell "their" asset, in this case a 911 R. That does not make it a closed system, just what they believe is the best practice on how to run their business.

If they want to sell it to a customer who is on a VIP list, that they sold another asset to, who got VIP status with that purchase, in order to assure those assets all sold (918's in that case), then that is their prerogative, as it is "their" asset to sell. They invested the dollars to create the asset to sell and are free to sell it as they see fit, to best operate their business.

So get what you can and be happy with it and don't worry if you did not get a shot at at a 911 R or any other car. This is a free market and one of the things, like it or not, is those with the most capital get the best opportunities.

Last edited by supercup; 05-02-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2017 | 11:58 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
I feel very strongly that anyone ordering a small-batch, enthusiast-based car such as the 911R should, as a requirement for placing an order, be obligated to drive it and not sell it for above purchase price for 3 years. These cars are near and dear to many people's hearts, and yet they can't get their hands on one due to collector and investor stockpiling. Re-selling the car with only delivery miles should be forbidden, doing so should black-list that buyer from buying a Porsche within 5 years. These cars are built with enthusiasts in mind, no? If so, only enthusiasts should be allowed to purchase them new.
I wanted one, tried hard to get one...contacted every dealer in the country and personally went to HQ in Atlanta...didn't get one, and was bitter about it for a while.

To suggest this is ridiculous.
Old 05-02-2017 | 01:08 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I wanted one, tried hard to get one...contacted every dealer in the country and personally went to HQ in Atlanta...didn't get one, and was bitter about it for a while.

To suggest this is ridiculous.
Exactly. Once I have the keys to my car you have no right to tell me what I can or cannot do with it. Park it. Race it. Cruise it. Flip it. It's none of your business.
Old 05-02-2017 | 01:45 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marvinta
Exactly. Once I have the keys to my car you have no right to tell me what I can or cannot do with it. Park it. Race it. Cruise it. Flip it. It's none of your business.
+1
Old 05-03-2017 | 12:58 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yawn
Old 05-03-2017 | 01:28 AM
silverrules
Drifting

We need a poll on how many polls we have had recently
Old 05-03-2017 | 02:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Yawn
Originally Posted by silverrules
We need a poll on how many polls we have had recently
concur
Old 05-03-2017 | 03:01 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Seems like a lot of talk on this forum about sticks and polls. What forum is this anyway?
Old 05-03-2017 | 08:03 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
They do now (or are starting to) but they're still somewhat affordable and were really affordable just a few years ago, but nobody wanted them because they weren't cool. Plenty of room in some of these cars.
Watching cars that interest me are dropping more than rising - 10 20% shouldn't matter and if it does they shouldn't buy.

If someone wants to invest in cars they better be able to withstand a few ups n downs - timing is luck and luck always runs out.

The R - who knows what Porsche small parts bin change car will be next I think people have lost it due to their ego for a second hand R which is fine but it's the ego that will bite one in the buttox. Older cars are much more stable everyone knows after a period of time if it's going to age well but these new cars going for multiples is what it is.
Old 05-03-2017 | 09:30 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

I always tell my kids that life isn't fair.

Not part of the 918 VIP program but lucky enough to get offered cars.

Got offered R, not really the car I was looking for at the moment. If I would have accepted and flipped the car I can guarantee that I would have no chance of getting gt2rs.
Am I sure to get gt2rs? I would hope so. Always believed in doing the right thing.
If I get screwed over I get pissed off. Gives it straight to face. And move on.

Human greed is a bad thing. This hype in the market has attracted a lot of new people that I haven't met before.

One thing is for sure. As soon as the hype dies these people go look for the next thing.

Quick Reply: Poll: Profiting off 911 R lack of availability: right or wrong?