Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should 911R owners be barred from immediate resale?
Yes: these cars were designed for enthusiasts and should be in the right hands
55.00%
No: these cars are simply investments and should be viewed as nothing more
45.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Profiting off 911 R lack of availability: right or wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017 | 05:24 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Default Poll: Profiting off 911 R lack of availability: right or wrong?

I feel very strongly that anyone ordering a small-batch, enthusiast-based car such as the 911R should, as a requirement for placing an order, be obligated to drive it and not sell it for above purchase price for 3 years. These cars are near and dear to many people's hearts, and yet they can't get their hands on one due to collector and investor stockpiling. Re-selling the car with only delivery miles should be forbidden, doing so should black-list that buyer from buying a Porsche within 5 years. These cars are built with enthusiasts in mind, no? If so, only enthusiasts should be allowed to purchase them new.

Do you agree or disagree?
Old 05-01-2017 | 06:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I think this has nothing to do with our air cooled tech forum, is there an option for that ?
Old 05-01-2017 | 07:15 PM
Marvinta
Pro

The wording of your poll is just slightly biased. Slightly.
Old 05-01-2017 | 07:20 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

agree this should be on the water-cooled forum although in a certain way it is a enthusiast's related question, you could have a poll on air-cooled cars, should speculators/flippers be allowed to purchase a rare air-cooled limited production car, knowing they have no intention of driving the car? should "heavy duty" collectors be allowed to purchase boatloads of P-cars that they will never drive?
Old 05-01-2017 | 07:41 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

There is a 911r forum. W gt3 and gt3rs I believe. Fed water cooled. Feel your frustration tho
Old 05-01-2017 | 08:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Moving this to the 911 R forum.
Old 05-01-2017 | 08:22 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

At the dealer today looking at some colors. Saw a car under a car cover in the showing room. Asked, turns out to be a 911R. They told me one of their 918 owners has it for sale for 520K, 58 miles on it and never left the floor. I was quick to say: oh, so he is flipping it to make 300k? There was no answer, but this sickens me. I don't like people who try to take advantage of others. I kind of have aversion now to some 918 owners. Sorry...
Old 05-01-2017 | 08:35 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

disagree
life will be never be fair for everyone
if we go that route where should we stop
1. a friend of mine bought 2 lots in florida in the housing bubble, 75 k each and sold them 6 months later at 700 k each ?? should we resent the guy
2. a patient of mine bought 10 k shares of us air stock at 3.95 after a plane crash and sold them a year later 79 dollars a share
just two examples and i can mention others
I don't like it , but I live with it
Old 05-01-2017 | 08:38 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by COTA1
One cannot be taken advantage of unless they pay for the car. If one is willing to pay over sticker I'm not sure what the problem is

One could ask a million $. All that matters will someone pay it. No one forced them to pay over...it's a buyers decision.

R market is still hot. A friend just made $250k on his. I'm happy for him.
I'm happy for him too. What bothers me is that some are privileged. Because of there privileged status they can take advantage of others, which includes the market. Sorry, don't mean to be political. I do not subscribe to the thought that if you have more money, you are better than me. I subsrcibe to hard work, including intellectual work, makes more. This applies to say CEO of Uber. But not to someone taking advantage of the market, which essentially is cheating in my book, i.e wall street.
Old 05-01-2017 | 09:04 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by COTA1
Well we'll certainly agree to disagree.

But it's a forum so that's ok.
hats off, agree to disagree. No hard feelings.
Old 05-01-2017 | 09:05 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Life is not fair but this in my mind is more of an ethic question. When $$$ signs are flashing in front of our human eyes we all seem to think the same, if you know what I'm saying.
Old 05-01-2017 | 09:18 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pitt911
disagree
1. a friend of mine bought 2 lots in florida in the housing bubble, 75 k each and sold them 6 months later at 700 k each ?? should we resent the guy
2. a patient of mine bought 10 k shares of us air stock at 3.95 after a plane crash and sold them a year later 79 dollars a share
I don't know if that is a fair comparison. Anyone can buy real estate. A free and fair market is open to all investors. This is a closed system: where insiders buy assets on the cheap and re-sell to the general public; an oligopolistic situation. Classical liberal economists would argue that the cars should be sold at fair market initially, to any potential buyer who has the funds to purchase. That could or should be determined at auction. An open market solution is not the case here: most people who had $200k to spend on a 911R would have been frozen out of the market. Also, if Porsche's goal was to maximize revenue, they should have been sold at market price. If their goal was to put cars in the hands of enthusiasts, then they should not be resold within a certain time frame.

Given, the only way I could afford a 911R (at sticker) is if I sold my house and lived in a van. With that said, the engineering and design that goes into these cars was performed to put a smile on a driver's face, not to line an insider's wallet.
Old 05-01-2017 | 09:24 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Once somebody buys an item (in this case a car) they are free to do with it whatever they want. When you try to impose your desires on their purchase i have a problem with that. Sure I think these cars should be driven but hey they bought em, I didn't. End of story.
Old 05-01-2017 | 09:26 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by pitt911
disagree
It's a bit different, these type of cars are an emotinal object, for a lot of people.

My 2 cents in this are pretty clear, the 918 guys that are flipping them, because they just don't care for the car but are passionate about the brand and can get one, I say "Why not?" or the guys that got one, enjoyed it, saw how the market was and put it to sale on the premise "if it sales, great, if not, doesn't matter, will enjoyed it regardless".

The ones that I ****ing hate, are the professional flippers, 'brokers'/guilds, those fcks are the ones that take the allocations and some don't even care for cars or know anything more than the car will be valuable.

These are the c+nts, they don't care about cars or driving, just the quick buck.
Old 05-01-2017 | 09:27 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gago1101
but this sickens me. I don't like people who try to take advantage of others.
Don't be ridiculous. You can't take advantage of the unwilling.

If I own a car, I can do whatever I damn well please with it.

Quick Reply: Poll: Profiting off 911 R lack of availability: right or wrong?