Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: If prices were exactly the same for a .1RS as a .2GT3 which would you buy?
.1RS
47.73%
.2GT3
52.27%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: .1RS or .2GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:38 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
It's funny everyone choosing GT3.2 gives several reasons why. Those taking RS don't give any.
Very True...

Also the biggest reason is because they want MT, but last I checked clutch plates are not covered by warranty's but transmission is.

Also I can only imagine how many people will over rev and possible hurt the engine when a PDK has nothing to worry about.

Now DME reports for these MT .2s will make the difference if someone is going to buy that car or not on the resale market and if they plan on tracking it at all there is a very high chance they will over rev by accident.

I am willing to bet a lot of people have not taken this into consideration when wanting a manual.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 AM
eco
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help guys, what would you get? A brand new 991.2 GT3 or a slightly used, similarly spec'd 991 GT3 RS (1500km mileage) priced about 6.5% cheaper than the new 991.2 GT3? Our local dealer is pricing the new .2 gt3 more than what the .1 RS sold for when it was bnew...talk about dealer markup!!!

Thanks!

Last edited by eco; 05-02-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by eco
Help guys, what would you get? A brand new 991.2 GT3 or a slightly used, similarly spec'd 991 GT3 RS (1500km mileage) priced about 6.5% cheaper than the new 991.2 GT3? Thanks!
Sorry,

We can't help you! Both are amazing. One you can drive today. (RS). 991.2 you have to wait.
Looks are personal.

Good luck with your decision. Can't really go wrong.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:20 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eco
Help guys, what would you get? A brand new 991.2 GT3 or a slightly used, similarly spec'd 991 GT3 RS (1500km mileage) priced about 6.5% cheaper than the new 991.2 GT3? Thanks!
I can summarize in advance: the RS guys would get the RS and the .2 guys would get the .2. 50% chance the RS for sale is being sold to get the .2, but that doesn't matter.

Get what the gut says to do. If you want to keep it for a long time the RS may be the better collector piece, but they're both awesome cars so that's a great predicament to be in. Congrats.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I'm actually flabbergasted what this board has come to lately. Prior to being a Porsche owner I was 100% BMW, and a friend suggested I try a Porsche 911. So I tested the 911S new model changed with the 7 speed manual box, and I hated the power delivery compared to previous M cars all lines. Took me awhile to appreciate the high revving Porsche motor, and hence I learned to drive the car properly. 1.5 years later I got a MSRP allocation, and spec' d my first GT3 albeit my most expensive car purchase I was like damn it better be good. Oh my god it was great so I was hooked!

Ok, exactly two years later I got a RS and guess what I said damn this is good which was my purchase last October. I never did a list no crazy market ups .......I met some really cool dealers at a social event, and we actually talk often and not just when I want a car. We go to sporting events, and do things outside of cars as we have simiular business interest. I have bought my three Porsche's from different dealers, and all have become friends well let's say two of them .... no games no drama. I said before I turned down a .2 allocation one because I love my RS, and I want someone to get the car that really wants it/will use my goodwill on a .2RS

Ok, here's where I'm going all the things I learned about these cars most of it was from good owners on this board who really post the history of Porsche, and what ownership has meant to them. Now the bad when you start discussing prices the pissing contest starts, I have a tip for you go ask your co-worker to see his pay check or several of them for that matter and let us know how that works out? There are many people that buy these cars, and it's less than one months pay check ............why should they care about MSRP nor should they be ridiculed for being foolish. They could easily ridicule the guy who just compromised his child's college fund on a car ......different ways to spin it boys. I feel blessed to have own the last two GT cars, and met good people and dealers in the process. That's what the board was about when I joined several years ago, and now it's a hot mess who has the better Porsche .......guys there're all Porsche's and the next will always be better if not they would be out of business right? If you have to justify what you paid for the car or didn't my guess is you shouldn't have purchased my two cents this morning. Thanks to all that have contributed to my Porsche experience the last 4 years I'm a fan for sure. Lately, the appearance of many post makes Porsche owners look like egoistical kids yelling who has the best toy! But in person many of you wouldn't behave this way in a real face to face conversation I bet.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 AM
eco
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the inputs, I was initially going for the pre-owned RS, but after seeing the reviews for the mk2 gt3....
also looking at the RS as more of a collectible argument, isn't it that the RS production numbers are more than the gt3? How can it be more collectible if there are more units in the streets? Are there less RS resellers?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Who knows what is a collectible and what is not- it is a dart throw.

I do not collect cars anyway. I drive them and when I get bored I trade and buy another one.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eco
Thanks for the inputs, I was initially going for the pre-owned RS, but after seeing the reviews for the mk2 gt3....
also looking at the RS as more of a collectible argument, isn't it that the RS production numbers are more than the gt3? How can it be more collectible if there are more units in the streets? Are there less RS resellers?
I think you'll be thrilled either way.

Yes, production numbers were weirdly high for the RS this time, but I argue it's still a great investment because a) it has the RS moniker, and b) it is visually distinctive as a model (and in a way that's nicely done). The visual distinction matters when it comes to collectability.

On the .2 GT3 side you've got the manual angle and motorsports engine which will make it collectible in its own right.

Always hard to know definitively because models also matter in the context of what came before them and what came after. We don't know the 'after' part for either model, yet.

Hey, you're not buying a Maserati, so you'll do great either way!
Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by COTA1
While new to this forum, I'm not new to Pcars for the past 10'ish years.

I love all of them. Gt3, RS, GT4, etc...and I've owned all of them. No rotten apple in the bunch.

If I landed from mars and opened up this forum I'd think Porsche is a terrible car. I don't think I'll probably stay active here too long based upon the testosterone fest that I've been reading, but for the love of god guys at least like the brand and encourage and enable.

Why the hostility towards RS owners and vice versa against non-RS owners? I see there are a few consistent posters that have a severe bias either way, but my god I might as well be in the BMW forum. You guys bash Porsche more than other car forums do.

Quit the di*k measuring and acting like little kids.

Newbies POV...I digress.
Spectacularly well said.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

They will all be collectibles one day when they all go FI
Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

W
If I landed from mars and opened up this forum I'd think Porsche is a terrible car. I don't think I'll probably stay active here too long based upon the testosterone fest that I've been reading, but for the love of god guys at least like the brand and encourage and enable.

Why the hostility towards RS owners and vice versa against non-RS owners? I see there are a few consistent posters that have a severe bias either way, but my god I might as well be in the BMW forum. You guys bash Porsche more than other car forums do.

Quit the di*k measuring and acting like little kids.

Newbies POV...I digress.
When a new GT arrives there will be a generational war, it's Rennlist Standard Operating Procedure. There were even those who would rather have a 996 GT3 than a 997 GT3 eons ago. Think of it as infotainment.

I have a 997.1RS because it looks better than a .2, that's it. Driven 964 RS Americas going for over $100k now. Those chasing the last .1% will come and go new cars enter the picture, but an RS is an RS.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:49 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL - fair enough and makes sense. I'll try and think of this as Netflix moving forward--pure entertainment.
Going to the PCA/BMWCCA DE next week? Once on track no one cares what Porsche they're driving, all this bs just evaporates, it's beautiful.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:25 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I'm actually flabbergasted what this board has come to lately. Prior to being a Porsche owner I was 100% BMW, and a friend suggested I try a Porsche 911. So I tested the 911S new model changed with the 7 speed manual box, and I hated the power delivery compared to previous M cars all lines. Took me awhile to appreciate the high revving Porsche motor, and hence I learned to drive the car properly. 1.5 years later I got a MSRP allocation, and spec' d my first GT3 albeit my most expensive car purchase I was like damn it better be good. Oh my god it was great so I was hooked!

Ok, exactly two years later I got a RS and guess what I said damn this is good which was my purchase last October. I never did a list no crazy market ups .......I met some really cool dealers at a social event, and we actually talk often and not just when I want a car. We go to sporting events, and do things outside of cars as we have simiular business interest. I have bought my three Porsche's from different dealers, and all have become friends well let's say two of them .... no games no drama. I said before I turned down a .2 allocation one because I love my RS, and I want someone to get the car that really wants it/will use my goodwill on a .2RS

Ok, here's where I'm going all the things I learned about these cars most of it was from good owners on this board who really post the history of Porsche, and what ownership has meant to them. Now the bad when you start discussing prices the pissing contest starts, I have a tip for you go ask your co-worker to see his pay check or several of them for that matter and let us know how that works out? There are many people that buy these cars, and it's less than one months pay check ............why should they care about MSRP nor should they be ridiculed for being foolish. They could easily ridicule the guy who just compromised his child's college fund on a car ......different ways to spin it boys. I feel blessed to have own the last two GT cars, and met good people and dealers in the process. That's what the board was about when I joined several years ago, and now it's a hot mess who has the better Porsche .......guys there're all Porsche's and the next will always be better if not they would be out of business right? If you have to justify what you paid for the car or didn't my guess is you shouldn't have purchased my two cents this morning. Thanks to all that have contributed to my Porsche experience the last 4 years I'm a fan for sure. Lately, the appearance of many post makes Porsche owners look like egoistical kids yelling who has the best toy! But in person many of you wouldn't behave this way in a real face to face conversation I bet.
Can we make this post a sticky on the first page.

I'm also amazed with the change of tone on this board.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:48 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by eco
There are less RS then GT3.

They also only made the 991 GT3RS for one year 2016, where the GT3 was made over 3 years 2014-2016.

Not sure why you think there are less GT3 then RS
Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If you want PDK then 991.1 GT3 RS.

If you want a manual then 991.2 GT3.

Pretty simple.

Quick Reply: Poll: .1RS or .2GT3