Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: If prices were exactly the same for a .1RS as a .2GT3 which would you buy?
.1RS
47.73%
.2GT3
52.27%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: .1RS or .2GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Haha poll for this...

Let's take numbers :
-in the real world where I live,there are dealers and human beings salesman that sell you at MSRP for being a decent customer.
-2.GT3 is 150K $ if you buy it for the performance it comes with...179K $ loaded or 150K $ moderate will drive and sound the same.
-RS is 190K $ moderate if you get it at MSRP. That's 40K $ according to my math. And it's used!
-.2 GT3 you punch the warranty card March 2018 through March 2022. RS card has been punched for more than a year now.
-manual vs pdk it ends there! No contest...

Now if you're getting .2 GT3 or have .1 RS...keep'em as much as possible. Enjoy them! Get your money's worth. Buy extended warranty,do not keep these cars out of warranty unless they're a write off to you in case something major goes. It's not all about engines and transmissions,cars these days are made of plastic junk,computers controlling everything and expensive parts will fail.
Yes, exactly. Well said!
Old 05-01-2017, 07:29 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I believe a similar spread will remain.

I think they can get more out of this new engine so expect at least 525 ponies and more mid-range torque, possibly 9200 redline, and some fu-fu dust to give you all a boner
Considering AP mentioned that they have more hp from just lower resistance of the internals, plus the increased compression ratio, 12.9 to 13.3, one can assume the .2 gt3 is the detuned version of upcoming 991.2 gt3rs. Jimmy is right on the mark with about 525, +/- 5hp.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:29 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by COTA1
See answers above. I take it you don't like the RS and that's okay. But I would be careful about broad strokes of all owners.

I'm new to this board, but I see from several threads there is a love/hate with RS owners it seems.

Isn't this a Porsche forum? Shouldn't people be happy for whatever Porsche one owns?
Theoretically yes.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I think you missed the sarcasm in Mass' post, but you'd have to understand the history between those two Rennlisters to easily get it.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:35 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
There he is. Let me help you out again.

1. Anyone who bought an RS did so for bragging rights because they got lucky and made more money than they deserved.
2. Anyone who paid over MSRP got taken advantage of.
3. The .2GT3 is better than the .1RS even at the same price.
4. The .1RS is overpriced by 40K. If you paid over MSRP, see point #2
5. Once the engines start failing in the .1RS, then PAG will announce the true HP of the .2GT3 which is around 530HP.

In conclusion, people got ripped off by about 80K for an outdated, slower, uglier car with a functional ironing board.

I think I'm supposed to conclude with a "just saying" and a
Very witty post.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

This poll is way closer than I expected. Wow!!!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

.2 for me only b/c of the looks. It was difficult enough for me to buy the .1gt3, let alone an RS, b/c of the wing. I think lot's are voting b/c of history says an RS is an RS for one reason only, it holds it's value better. Let's take that out of the equation and where are we? If they both held the value equally the same, then what?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

But that IS part of the equation. You can't keep taking this or that out...other wise we'd all think a Hyundai is a great car all of a sudden
Harder to ascertain with the latest RS.

They made a fair few, and that certainly affects the supply side economics.

Add to that the fact that they had to drop the redline with the 4.0, and then were able to get back to 9K with the 4.0 in the .2 GT3.

Add to that the fact that the .2 GT3 (rather than the Rennsport version) got the racing engine, and I'd argue Porsche muddied the waters on this one. More than usual.

It will always be a fantastic car and a target for collectors forever, but I'm not sure value is such a sure thing relative to other great P Cars.

Just an opinion - not bashing. Important thing is it's a stunner of a car and anyone would be thrilled to have one.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Put me down for a R-*****'f'ing-S!

For the manual Homers, all the shifting in one place.

Okay, youtube wants a house visit instead of a hotlink.

Last edited by consolidated; 05-01-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:33 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never been able to tell the difference between 8800 and 9000, but that's because I have not tried both. I think if I were Lewis Hamilton good it might, but for my 3-4 track weekends a year (or even 10) I'd be ok with 8800.

Either way like you said, different strokes...all good.

Everyone in a Porsche and not a McLaren is happy time
Honestly, the speed with which this thing will wring out I'd be lucky to manually shift within that last 200. It's massively academic, but the point was about value, and random academic points affect the values of cars. They always have.

Personally, I'm looking for the sound through the second half of the rev range... That's what I'm excited about. The last 200 will be a nit, relatively speaking.

Yes, all these are great Porsches - the best of the best - and that is the most important point.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:29 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

.2 GT3 over .1 RS because:

- manual
- top-end engine issue resolved
- get to order it the way I want
- more subtle styling = more practical to use regularly

agree with others that don't really care about the last 200rpm; it's academic.

Now, if you were gonna get PDK and main use is weekend track toy, then .1 RS for same price as .2 GT3 might make more sense. RS has more aero, bigger rear tire contact patch/grip, and great styling for that purpose. RS engine, while theoretically susceptible to same top-end engine issues, is at least a 2016 G engine so maybe not as worrisome.

Both great cars. Would be happy to own either (or both if funds permitted it).
Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
There he is. Let me help you out again.

1. Anyone who bought an RS did so for bragging rights because they got lucky and made more money than they deserved.
2. Anyone who paid over MSRP got taken advantage of.
3. The .2GT3 is better than the .1RS even at the same price.
4. The .1RS is overpriced by 40K. If you paid over MSRP, see point #2
5. Once the engines start failing in the .1RS, then PAG will announce the true HP of the .2GT3 which is around 530HP.

In conclusion, people got ripped off by about 80K for an outdated, slower, uglier car with a functional ironing board.

I think I'm supposed to conclude with a "just saying" and a
1. Its all about bragging rights. Well, almost all. Thats what a large part of ownership of these cars is about (some more than others) and why everyone is always chasing latest and greatest. I would say a very small percentage on this board can extract 100% from a 997.1 GT3 no less a 991GT3 but yet there they are comparing track times, weights, aero etc.etc....Lets be honest shall we. Its more bench racing than real "racing" for most. You'd be better off improving your track times going to a race school for $10,000.00 for a week than dropping two or three times that merely to get the latest and greatest.
2. Guys who paid over MSRP for an RS paid market at the time. I paid "market" for mine at the time. Market is still over MSRP for an RS. Will guys who pay over MSRP for the .2GT3 be overpaying? Nope. They will be paying market in most cases. Very few will land MSRP.
3. Define "better". Kinda subjective in many ways, no? Maybe a .2GT3 is or isn't a click faster at Laguna then my RS. It's still not "better" to me for many reasons.
4. So far the .1 4.0 is bullet proof. No reported problems that I know of. Many 991RS's have been seeing lots of track useage since early 2015 and driven HARD.. That's nearly 2 years now. Further, PAG was well aware of the 3.8 issues when the 4.0 was being developed. I kinda think they were going to make sure their marque' models i.e. the RS and R did not follow with the same periodic failures the 3.8 was exhibiting with the valve train. The .1 4.0 did see PAG Motorsport use in the 2015 GT3R which ran flawlessly in 2015. Overlooked fact. The Metzger was hydraulic valved The GT4 Club Sport is hydraulic valved. Motorsport. You want or have to have 9000 rpms then solids is your best bet. The multiple changes made to the 4.0 G and the rpm reduction back to the 8500 rpm limit (same as the 997 4.0) clearly were designed to avoid issues and so far seems to have been the what the doctor ordered.
However, it almost seems like you are hoping for .1RS failures or in fact confident they are coming. Seems like they would or will make you all warm and fuzzy inside. Kinda bush league if you ask me but hey, thats just me. Perhaps you have done a tear down of 991 4.0. Please let us know what you found.

I'm not a .2GT3 hater but the question was "even up" which would you chose. For $70K less I'd go with the .2GT3. The closer the price differential the more difficult it becomes to turn away the RS. Each of us has their own "uncle" point. Mine is at around $40K. At that point and lower I take the RS. Even up...the RS from every direction, 24/7 and twice on Sunday.

Being that you have already track tested both cars we await your track reviews and track times. Post up. Looking foward to the read.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Easy call

Performance
Styling
MT

.2 GT3...at MSRP
Old 05-02-2017, 02:33 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I owned a 991.1 GT3 and a 991.1 RS. Preferred the looks and lower stance of the GT3. Loved the 9,000 RPM. Loved the slightly better handling of the RS but didn't like losing straight line speed at COTA due to the increased downforce with resultant increased drag.
So, the 991.2 GT3 looks better than the RS to my eyes, will go faster in a straight line (Porsche says increased down force without decreasing drag, don't know how but assume correct, plus increased hp at speed due to ram effect), very decent handling when set properly and an engine that revs happily to 9,000RPM with (hopefully) fixed reliability issue, and the 991.2 GT3 is my preferred car. I am trying to get a later production car, PTS.
Great news Sam. I am right there with you also shooting for PTS not sure what color. Reminds me of 2014 GT3 fiasco
Old 05-02-2017, 04:25 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's funny everyone choosing GT3.2 gives several reasons why. Those taking RS don't give any.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:56 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

991.2GT3 all day long as it comes with MT. I am gonna practise heel&toe 2nd to 1st all day long at the mountains.
And at the track with that damn auto blip and left arm hanging out of the window to let everyone overtake me! I need to feel connected.

Sorry had to troll a bit

Quick Reply: Poll: .1RS or .2GT3