Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS 991.2 NOV/DEC build secured

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 PM
SteveFrench
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How many pts colors are there? I'm foreign to this. Can you just flip through a book of hundreds of colors? Do you have to pick from only the ones they offer? These crazy colors remind me of the old MOPAR days.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:35 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=SteveFrench;14147757]How many pts colors are there? I'm foreign to this. Can you just flip through a book of hundreds of colors? Do you have to pick from only the ones they offer? These crazy colors remind me of the old MOPAR days.[/QUOTE
PAG paint to sample is actually a list approved colors. An example of a true paint to sample would be matching your wife/girlfriends purse to the color of your car.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:05 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFrench
How many pts colors are there? I'm foreign to this. Can you just flip through a book of hundreds of colors? Do you have to pick from only the ones they offer? These crazy colors remind me of the old MOPAR days.
PTS is a misnomer. You can choose from a large list of approved colors that Porsche has and now keeps semi-secret. A dealer or Porsche NA will share the list with you if you get an allocation with PTS.

You can request colors not on the list but no guarantee they will approve. They have to "test" first, which can take many months.

Most of the colors on approved list are previously used colors on Porsches of yore, or are lifted from other car manufacturers' lists of colors, by request of Porsche PTS buyers. Some are crossovers from Audi/VW (Nardo gray, Nogaro blue, for example).
Old 04-30-2017, 01:11 AM
Garydose
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

226 / Chartreuse / Lind Green (lindgrün)

Old 04-30-2017, 07:03 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
I am proud to announce with the help of a good friend I was able to secure a PTS build, NOV/DEC. I am leaning Viper Green or Mexico Blue. I have enjoyed my 991.1 since day 1 and still smile every time I take her out, but the 991.2 has some nice upgrades in addition to resetting the warranty along with getting an awesome color too. Thank you my friend, this wouldn’t be possible without you.
Signed
“ your little brother from another mother”

Congrats! Are you in Europe or ROW?

Just to clarify no one in US currently can have a confirmed PTS build. I still know of 918 VIP customers and VVIP customers who are asking like daily about if they can secure PTS allocations and the answer is likely, but no guarantees on anything. It seems like some brokers and customers are saying they secured a PTS allocations when its just the sales manager or whoever was talking to them was pretty confident that they can get them one.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:22 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFrench
PAG paint to sample is actually a list approved colors. An example of a true paint to sample would be matching your wife/girlfriends purse to the color of your car.
Originally Posted by Lapis
PTS is a misnomer. You can choose from a large list of approved colors that Porsche has and now keeps semi-secret. A dealer or Porsche NA will share the list with you if you get an allocation with PTS.

You can request colors not on the list but no guarantee they will approve. They have to "test" first, which can take many months.

Most of the colors on approved list are previously used colors on Porsches of yore, or are lifted from other car manufacturers' lists of colors, by request of Porsche PTS buyers. Some are crossovers from Audi/VW (Nardo gray, Nogaro blue, for example).

Technically Paint to Sample (PTS) you can paint it in any color in the world you want with one caveat: it has to be approved.

Depending on what car you're looking to PTS (911, Cayman, Panamera, Macan) they have a different list of colors that are approved. For example, there is currently 120+ colors approved by PAG for 911 PTS. If you choose an already approved color, the process will go much faster, and a good chance of getting it done.

You can however try to paint your Porsche in a non-approved color. If its a color from a different auto brand that no one has painted before, or you just want to send in a paint sample to match. However, this is a lengthy process that goes through feasibility testing. From what I've seen, it can go into feasibility testing for months to more than a year, and still have a high chance of getting not approved in the end. Yes, I have seen a car didn't get delivered till well over 1 year of its original allocation month.

I'm sure Eduardo will agree with me on this. If you're trying to PTS your GT3 or RS, don't try to PTS a non-approved color. Most likely you will miss your ability to get PTS, and probably miss your chance to even get a car at all. The PTS window for GT3 and RS are extremely small, and there really isn't time for you or them to wait months for a color to go through approval, and just miss the window altogether completely. If you want to buy a regular Carrera or Turbo, and you have no problem of waiting or being denied, by all means try to PTS a non-approved color. But for low production vehicles like the GT3 and RS, pick a PTS color that is already approved.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:09 AM
Impi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would have been amazing if PTS was available on all limited production run cars....why only allow a fortunate few to choose from the "120 approved" colours
Old 04-30-2017, 08:25 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your allocation. Best of luck with the PTS also.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:16 AM
SteveFrench
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Technically Paint to Sample (PTS) you can paint it in any color in the world you want with one caveat: it has to be approved.

Depending on what car you're looking to PTS (911, Cayman, Panamera, Macan) they have a different list of colors that are approved. For example, there is currently 120+ colors approved by PAG for 911 PTS. If you choose an already approved color, the process will go much faster, and a good chance of getting it done.

You can however try to paint your Porsche in a non-approved color. If its a color from a different auto brand that no one has painted before, or you just want to send in a paint sample to match. However, this is a lengthy process that goes through feasibility testing. From what I've seen, it can go into feasibility testing for months to more than a year, and still have a high chance of getting not approved in the end. Yes, I have seen a car didn't get delivered till well over 1 year of its original allocation month.

I'm sure Eduardo will agree with me on this. If you're trying to PTS your GT3 or RS, don't try to PTS a non-approved color. Most likely you will miss your ability to get PTS, and probably miss your chance to even get a car at all. The PTS window for GT3 and RS are extremely small, and there really isn't time for you or them to wait months for a color to go through approval, and just miss the window altogether completely. If you want to buy a regular Carrera or Turbo, and you have no problem of waiting or being denied, by all means try to PTS a non-approved color. But for low production vehicles like the GT3 and RS, pick a PTS color that is already approved.
Thanks for explaining that. When I hear "paint to SAMPLE" and then see the same 6-8 different colored GT3/RS's....it makes sense why someone who got one would not risk going for an actual custom color.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:54 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Congrats! Are you in Europe or ROW?

Just to clarify no one in US currently can have a confirmed PTS build. I still know of 918 VIP customers and VVIP customers who are asking like daily about if they can secure PTS allocations and the answer is likely, but no guarantees on anything. It seems like some brokers and customers are saying they secured a PTS allocations when its just the sales manager or whoever was talking to them was pretty confident that they can get them one.
A large dealership here in the US wrote in the buyers order
Paint to sample. When the window for PTS opens, my allocation is for PTS
Old 04-30-2017, 01:55 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bronson7
Congrats on your allocation. Best of luck with the PTS also.
Thank you
Old 04-30-2017, 02:02 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

"It seems like some brokers and customers are saying they secured a PTS allocations when its just the sales manager or whoever was talking to them was pretty confident that they can get them one.
chaosoul is offline Report Post "

I believe you are correct
Old 04-30-2017, 02:10 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Impi
It would have been amazing if PTS was available on all limited production run cars....why only allow a fortunate few to choose from the "120 approved" colours
Thank you
Old 04-30-2017, 07:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Over the years I have seen PAG offer "special colors”
but never seen greens offered. Can you remember
any greens being offered as a color anyone could order ?
Yes, many. But not in recent years.

In the 997 years, I believe PAG offered 'Forest Green Metallic'
'Dark Olive Metallic', 'Dark Teal Metallic', 'Malachite Green Metallic',
'Porsche Racing Green' & other greens (mostly dark metallics) as
'Special Colors'. The greatest 'green' of the period, of course,
was the 'RS Green', color code 2D8, which was specially formulated
for the gt3 RS, but also used later on the Limited Edition Cayman.
The Cayman R was also offered in 'Peridot Green Metallic'.

You have to go back to the early 1990's to when PAG last offered
a beautiful, solid color like 'Signal Green' (22S) as a no-cost standard
offering!

Of course, the golden days of vivid solid color offerings (with many
of them 'green') at Porsche is the early 1970's. Nothing before or
after ever equal the offerings of stunning colors that we saw in that
period! This was demonstrated in the colors chosen to paint the 911
RSR used for the IROC races in the United States:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...to-pts-44.html

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Did anyone notice 'Pink Shoe' on the list for feasibility?
Color code Y87. It ultimately rejected...so not approved. Was it
you that requested it, IrishAndy? I would have thought you be
more comfortable with this color:

Originally Posted by shaytun
Wait a minute, is UV even an option on the .2 GT3?
Originally Posted by shaytun
That's what I meant. They're allowing it as a PTS
for the GT3? I thought they would keep it a RS only
color.
Originally Posted by mooty
^ no, they also allow lava, which was RS launch color
'Lava Orange' was indeed the first of the special 991 gt3 RS 'intro/
communication/marketing' colors allowed to be used for both regular
991 & 718 models as a 'Special Color', not PTS. 'Lava' is now also
PTS on 991/718/Macan & Panamera.

But just recently 'Ultraviolet' was added to the PTS approved list for
any 991/718. Curiously, it had been approved as a PTS color for the
Macan for almost one year. So yes, nothing is 'sacred' to PAG as far
as colors go!

I'm sure Eduardo will agree with me on this.
If you're trying to PTS your GT3 or RS, don't
try to PTS a non-approved color. Most likely
you will miss your ability to get PTS, and
probably miss your chance to even get a
car at all.
Yes, Eduardo would agree with you on this!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Currently in Denver International
waiting for flight back to Scottsdale
after a 2 week trip to Europe
Old 05-01-2017, 02:25 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,227 Likes on 608 Posts

Just because the guy writes paint to sample in the comment box does not mean it is approved.

Although with audi it really is that easy.

Quick Reply: PTS 991.2 NOV/DEC build secured