Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you, or anyone else, buy a .1GT3 Now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vodavoda
So I should email PAC? Guess I should have checked with you before posting. Why don't you give me your email and I'll contact you before posting any opinions to make sure they coincide with yours and you can OK the post before it's submitted?
annoyingrennposts@gmail.com

Or just use common sense is always another option.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Nothing personal meant... More just a rant aimed at PAC and the manner in which they are/aren't addressing this issue which directly impacts desirability and . 1's place in history ... In addition to the observation that . 2 GT3 even with ADM's is not a bad deal IMO. Market comments are speculation which simply is just that, speculation, not prophecy. Obviously ruffled a few feathers unintentionally.
What more do you want them to do? They are replacing and fixing any engine failures, even with track use. What more can you ask for? They aren't going to replace every engine when it's clear that only a handful experience failures. You want an official press release that details all potential problems with the car to make everyone feel better? Good luck with that. All cars have their issues, and those issues always get blown out of proportion by the internetz. Perception rules. Reality is ignored. Happens every time.

History? Really? I had no clue I bought some landmark historical car. I thought I bought a car to enjoy on the track and nothing else. Who cares how this car will go down history. You must be joking.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:58 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

OP,

Most people on RL knows about the pros and cons about the 991gt3!

What you stated has already been beaten to death.

Same as most issues with 996gt3/997gt3 has been covered.

I totally understand that it can be a difficult decision to buy a gt3! So much to factor in. Not all of us can chunk up $150k and laugh when the engine blows up out of warranty.

But, the truth is. These cars are not cheap to own. We have just seen a lucky stretch over the last 3-4 years where some have been lucky to use for free or even make a little money on these toys.

That won't continue. If you buy 991.2gt3 at $30k over you just have to factor that into the depreciation curve.

If you buy a 991.1gt3 at -$20k msrp you've actually done pretty good.

All new engines have issues. The Mezger was around for 30 years. Took a while to get it right. And still saw some issues late in its life.

The 3.6l Mezger is one of my favorite engines. 60k miles and probably 25k on track. Doesn't leek a drop of oil and has never been opened.

If Porsche offers a gt4rs with the 991.2gt3 engine, 4.0l, 8500rpm 450hp engine with PDK/MT I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Reliability.

This new 4.0l engine has to prove itself before we can start talking about better than 991.1gt3 3.8l.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:05 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Or just use common sense is always another option.
hmmm.... well I'm glad you chose to spend your time to read these posts, as no one forced you to, and then even after you deamed the topic idiotic, you chose to invest more time and obviously lots of common sense in your succinct replies. I do apologize for hurting your feelings. I do hope you'll forgive me as that was not intentional but solely a result of lack of common sense, which as it turns out, is not so common.

This thread has run its course. Cheers
Old 04-28-2017, 11:06 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

997rs4.0 - you have a US 996RS? a unicorn for sure...
Old 04-28-2017, 11:40 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Porsche 991.1 GT3 ownership. If you have to ask why, you are unlikely to understand the answer.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,686 Likes on 2,336 Posts

1. every gen of porsche has issues. get used to it.
2. ppl worry a lot about warranty running out. dont worry, just fix it. it's just money
3. .1 GT3 is fine. .2GT3 , i always ask this question, if you werent' able to buy a new .1GT3 at msrp, chances are you will not be able to get a .2GT3 at msrp. so if you dont mind paying $20k or more, they yes, .2GT3 is better, the next car is always better.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:30 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Got any details on the warranty extension? Cost? So for example if I were to buy a used .1 then could I extend the warranty from Porsche?
In the GCC and some other markets it is pretty straight forward to get an extended warranty from porsche. The cost for an annual extension is around USD$1700. You can keep extending annually till the car is very old indeed as long as no modifications are done to car.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:17 AM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol. Lots of feelings in this thread
Old 04-29-2017, 10:16 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Can someone throw the garage out , it stinks
Take the op with it .
Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

These are expensive non-collector cars, so they're not cheap to own. Especially if you drive them. Extra especially if you track them. If that prospect is daunting, buy a cheaper car, or buy a collector car and don't drive it.

The only way someone is generally going to be able to buy one of these cars, drive it, and not take a depreciation hit, is if Porsche rapidly raises prices or sharply limits supply, but neither is going to happen.

Regarding the engine, as others have noted, there's the warranty, the failure rate isn't necessarily high, there's the possibility of extended warranty, Porsche may take care of owners after warranties end, and aftermarket options may become available to address any issues.

For people hoping for bargains on used .1 GT3's, go see if you can find a bargain. I wouldn't sell mine for less than $125K (sticker around $140K), despite over 20K miles on the car, and it's not for sale anyway, because the car is awesome and there's nothing else I'd rather have for a similar price.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Give it up dude. No one cares.

Go troll the GT4 forum for a while.

Better yet forget your so called '.2GT3 allocation' and buy a Corvette.

Since you like to quote Jamie:
[QUOTE=ATXGT3;14145701]"Why would you, or anyone else, buy a .1GT3 Now"

You are a very polite rennlister so let me be as well.
You are no. one potential member of verified GT3 owners forum. Go altogether verified owners and stroke each other at car and coffee events as most of you are not even capable of using 10% of this car. Yes, for you the engine will last forever. I am not sure about the seat bolsters though. How about that?

I don't see anything wrong with OP thread.
I will give you my point of view. I am an owner of 991.1 GT3 and am pissed off how Porsche is dealing with the problem. I also have 991.2 GT3 contract signed although not sure if I am ready to take the hit on reselling .1
I know already a few folks racing their cars and have engines rebuilt.
The warranty in EU is two years. You can extend it to 10 years but I see already Porsche playing tricks. How about bulletin dealing with extended warranty? I saw it at one dealer and it says if you have Clubsport option it means you have Porsche Motorsport equipment thus extended warranty cannot be issued. It is probably BS as I have CS package and already extended warranty. Other dealers never heard of it but it start to smell.
Another example is the manual that treats driving around circuits. For 2014 and early 2015 there is no clause about tracking your car and voiding the warranty. Not the case in later models. Another smelly thing to come.
Then explain to me why Porsche is not recalling all cars with E engines? Or even F As we know G has different oiling rail and some software tweaks on top of the DLC thing. It's fine to have the code and engine replaced but they are no longer replacing engines. Top part rebuild with potential damage from metals flying around the engine. Would you like to have such an engine?
Check mobile.de and see what GT3s are listed for. And they are stuck there.
My car is on sale and no one is interested so far. Of course I could sell it with a huge hit and get 991.2 but I am not really sure if it makes sense.
Will the 991.2 be bullet proof? I hope so but doubt at the same time. As I said earlier there are known problems with cylinder coating in regular 991s. So how about more sleeppery coating in the GT3? Why they gave up Metzger type cylinders? Savings ...
The bottom line is that it is only a stupid car. Gives a lot of smiles to me and I enjoy driving it. But all the points of OP are valid to me.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:12 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qbix
My car is on sale and no one is interested so far.
You certainly seem angry.

I don't know one .1 user that has had issues except a few here that tend to complain (and a few non-GT3 owners that just like to stir the pot).

Sorry to hear about your sale--maybe you have it over priced.

Good luck with sale. Take care.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:21 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Old 04-29-2017, 11:38 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

You certainly seem angry.

I don't know one .1 user that has had issues except a few here that tend to complain (and a few non-GT3 owners that just like to stir the pot).

Sorry to hear about your sale--maybe you have it over priced.

Good luck with sale. Take care.
Lol. So true.

The guys that are really upset right now are the ones that expected to drive the car for free.

I love the car, but I also think anyone asking near msrp is dreaming. Asking prices for these cars have been total pipe dreams.

When I put mine up for sale, people are going to post 'why so cheap?, 'is there a dead body in the frunk'?. No, my car is priced appropriately so it will actually sell and I hate playing the back and forth game.

Quick Reply: Why would you, or anyone else, buy a .1GT3 Now?