Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparing 991.2 GT3 with prior R/RS models shows .2 superior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Definitely PDK is better than Mclaren/Ferrari shifters. Smoother, feels faster, and the automatic shifting algorithm seems more intuitive.. always knows what gear to be in... the other two don't so much.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Comparing the .2 GT3 to the .1 RS or R

Originally Posted by Perimeter
If everything that is being said in this review about the .2 GT3 is true (faster PDK, 200 RPM higher revving, better 4.0 engine, newer MPSC2 tires) then how come the .2 GT3 is still slower than the .1 RS. Somebody must be drinking cool aid out there in the review world!
Old 05-01-2017, 01:36 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
If everything that is being said in this review about the .2 GT3 is true (faster PDK, 200 RPM higher revving, better 4.0 engine, newer MPSC2 tires) then how come the .2 GT3 is still slower than the .1 RS. Somebody must be drinking cool aid out there in the review world!
rs mechanical grip (track width, add'l tire patch) and better aero
Old 05-01-2017, 04:33 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
I believe the RS weights less too.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

We have yet to see if it is slower than the .1 RS
Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Originally Posted by GT345
I believe the RS weights less too.
Marketing.

Why is it so inconceivable of a concept that there exists a product that costs more money yet isn't as good as the less expensive NEW product. But, for fear of the silly consumer getting sad, the less expensive NEW product is not quite as good.

The .2GT3 is better than the .1RS. in 95% of areas. The .2GT3 is better than the .1RS for 99% of the people who want/own a GT car.

In regards to the RL community and certain attitudes, vitriol, bragging; there has been this absurdly irrational phenomenon over the past several years where GT cars not only do NOT depreciate, but you can drive them for 2 years and sell them for what you paid. This has given the false illusion that they are some magically created piece of metal not subject to the laws of other pieces of metal. This bolsters the dogma of current GT owners, predominantly GT RS owners.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:47 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 635 Likes on 304 Posts

RS owner here. I like the .2GT3 and would buy a manual one to complement the RS. Waiting for .2 RS to see what that is like. We don't know about the new motor. Besides that it (the PDK version) is just a normal .2 update to my eyes.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:47 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I can see how current owners get upset with these kind of threads. Totally understandable.

Actually went back and checked who started this thread and the "market glut" thread.
(IMO a little in your face threads.)

Both users, one fellow RL actually been quite active here before. But, These threads are started with an intent to stir the pot which is no fun.

We all come here to read and share our experiences with these amazing cars.
To say one car is better than another is so subjective. We all like different things. I like the look of one thing and the feel of a different compared to someone else.

We will never agree on everything and probably shouldn't on a public forum. Would make it very boring.

Very fortunate to drive and own some of these amazing cars. Let's enjoy it in good health.

I'll personally go back and see who started a certain thread before replying. It's kind of hard on the app but hopefully worth it.
On of these recent threads got killed very fast with dog pics. That might be a good way to do it.

Wishing everybody a great day with many happy miles.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,228 Likes on 608 Posts

The car you have in your garage and the next one you can afford are the best two cars for you.

Buy what you can afford.

Track what you can afford to repair/replace.

Porsche keeps evolving and making cooler cars.

Even the coolest cars have occasional jerk owners.

Even the coolest cars have soft market conditions sometimes.

The best cars are yet to come.

The old cars smell better and make you tingle and make your hairs stand up.

A car is not classic until it's out of warranty at the very earliest.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
The .2GT3 is better than the .1RS. in 95% of areas. The .2GT3 is better than the .1RS for 99% of the people who want/own a GT car.
You must work for Porsche and got to drive one of these .2 on a track... I assume you also own a .1RS as well to make such a bold statement.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,686 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Marketing.

Why is it so inconceivable of a concept that there exists a product that costs more money yet isn't as good as the less expensive NEW product. But, for fear of the silly consumer getting sad, the less expensive NEW product is not quite as good.

In regards to the RL community and certain attitudes, vitriol, bragging; there has been this absurdly irrational phenomenon over the past several years where GT cars not only do NOT depreciate, but you can drive them for 2 years and sell them for what you paid. This has given the false illusion that they are some magically created piece of metal not subject to the laws of other pieces of metal. This bolsters the dogma of current GT owners, predominantly GT RS owners.
it is not inconceivble but it is the power of mkt.
we manufacture "stuff" ... same identical "stuff" i mean IDENTICAL... when our factory put the label on, the price changes. i cannot tell you what we make or sell to. but that's just say, some are sold at $35 while the IDENTICAL item is sold at $350 or more at a different store.

the price and the "perceived" or "real" benefit / value of a product is completely irrelevant to it's price. it's what makes u happy.

we have clients that would pay thousands if i put urine in Louis XIII bottle and get drunk, while if i put that congnac in a beer bottle, they feel cheated. it's their money, they bought their version of happiness. why wake them up from a good dream. if one pays $5000/oz of red dirt and put on some bread as if they are caviar, hey, go for it. is caviar really better than dirt? to me, yes. to another, maybe not. and i cdertainly will not stop that person from his enjoyment of red dirt. so if some feel 1rs better than .2 gt or vice versa, who cares.

oh on a well known and rather $ bar soap. about 15 years ago, they had a barrel vault shaped bar soap in very nice tiffany colored plastic box for women. you know that SAME formulation is made for man but in a rectangular box for less money. they ARE the same stuff. you try to tell your wife she should save a few bucks and buy the man version in the rectangular box and tell her they are the same thing. i am absolutely certain you will be castrated on the spot. whatever floats the consumers' boat, let it ride.

well, porsche marketing is good. so just let it be.

====> but with regard to your stmt about some ppl think GT cars do not depreciate and one can drive for free. i see the same. and i find that strange. all my GT are driven and i ALWAYS lose money when i sell it. for me it's (again, using the Louis XIII example), i used it, drank it. i need to pay for it. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.... maybe free dessert, but lunch wont be free.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:40 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Mooty, two more examples about the power of marketing - Diamonds, and Wine. Porsche marketing is at a rookie level when compared to Diamonds, and Wine.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:42 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
it is not inconceivble but it is the power of mkt.
we manufacture "stuff" ... same identical "stuff" i mean IDENTICAL... when our factory put the label on, the price changes. i cannot tell you what we make or sell to. but that's just say, some are sold at $35 while the IDENTICAL item is sold at $350 or more at a different store.

the price and the "perceived" or "real" benefit / value of a product is completely irrelevant to it's price. it's what makes u happy.

we have clients that would pay thousands if i put urine in Louis XIII bottle and get drunk, while if i put that congnac in a beer bottle, they feel cheated. it's their money, they bought their version of happiness. why wake them up from a good dream. if one pays $5000/oz of red dirt and put on some bread as if they are caviar, hey, go for it. is caviar really better than dirt? to me, yes. to another, maybe not. and i cdertainly will not stop that person from his enjoyment of red dirt. so if some feel 1rs better than .2 gt or vice versa, who cares.

oh on a well known and rather $ bar soap. about 15 years ago, they had a barrel vault shaped bar soap in very nice tiffany colored plastic box for women. you know that SAME formulation is made for man but in a rectangular box for less money. they ARE the same stuff. you try to tell your wife she should save a few bucks and buy the man version in the rectangular box and tell her they are the same thing. i am absolutely certain you will be castrated on the spot. whatever floats the consumers' boat, let it ride.

well, porsche marketing is good. so just let it be.

====> but with regard to your stmt about some ppl think GT cars do not depreciate and one can drive for free. i see the same. and i find that strange. all my GT are driven and i ALWAYS lose money when i sell it. for me it's (again, using the Louis XIII example), i used it, drank it. i need to pay for it. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.... maybe free dessert, but lunch wont be free.
How sharp was the knife, and was it painful?

Last edited by MM3.9GT3; 05-01-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,686 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Mooty, two more examples about the power of marketing - Diamonds, and Wine. Porsche marketing is at a rookie level when compared to Diamonds, and Wine.
yes...

F
5c
D
Princess IDEAL cut

luckily wife is allergic to silver, gold, emerald, ruby, diamond, stainless steel, brass or any jewelry. i am lucky.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The car you have in your garage and the next one you can afford are the best two cars for you.

Buy what you can afford.

Track what you can afford to repair/replace.

Porsche keeps evolving and making cooler cars.

Even the coolest cars have occasional jerk owners.

Even the coolest cars have soft market conditions sometimes.

The best cars are yet to come.

The old cars smell better and make you tingle and make your hairs stand up.

A car is not classic until it's out of warranty at the very earliest.

Sounds poetic, deep and very true

Quick Reply: Comparing 991.2 GT3 with prior R/RS models shows .2 superior?