Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ask Chaosoul's Magic 8 Ball

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017 | 10:59 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Seems like the UK and US markets are undersupplied with GT cars.

I can understand why the RHD market gets less cars because of the complicated and more expensive production.
Is US DOT cars more expensive for Porsche to make?
We all know that we can't get Clubsport package because of US lawyers. But, is there anything else complicating and making production of US cars more expensive?
I think I remember one of the car magazines doing a comparison of US and European safety regs. I believe one of the differences was that the US expects a higher level of padding of hard elements inside the cockpit such as the A-pillars, just in case folks have a crash and aren't, umm, wearing a seat belt.

I can't remember the source, or even if I just dreamt this. I think this is what Judge Judy calls 'hearsay'
Old 05-04-2017 | 11:21 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Chaosoul - many, many thanks for sharing your insights. You're an asset to RL and the Porsche enthusiast community at large!

Question: any further intel you can share on the recent rumors of the Touring Package? Back seat? Wing? Still MT?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can find in that magic 8-ball of yours...
Old 05-05-2017 | 12:44 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Why doesn't USA get the folding bucket option?
Old 05-05-2017 | 03:36 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Chaosoul - many, many thanks for sharing your insights. You're an asset to RL and the Porsche enthusiast community at large!

Question: any further intel you can share on the recent rumors of the Touring Package? Back seat? Wing? Still MT?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can find in that magic 8-ball of yours...

No problem, thank you for the kind words.

Sorry, no concrete information for you guys on Touring package.

Originally Posted by mass27
Why doesn't USA get the folding bucket option?

It didn't pass the aesthetic test

I was told it was because of the height adjustment. DOT is pretty strict on that. There are many funny concerns, for example, you see the US spec 918 LWB on GT4 and RS have a leather piece in the middle of the carbon seat belt pass through but European versions don't. That piece serves as a headrest for people too short, basically like people under 4 feet 10 or something. DOT is concerned of shorter people's head banging on the hard carbon during like abrupt movements.
Old 05-05-2017 | 03:51 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaosoul
I was told it was because of the height adjustment. DOT is pretty strict on that. There are many funny concerns, for example, you see the US spec 918 LWB on GT4 and RS have a leather piece in the middle of the carbon seat belt pass through but European versions don't...
This agrees with what I've been told as well- the US spec seats are significantly different (and heavier) due to safety regs. Note that in Europe the seats are called LWB or "Lightweight Buckets Seats". The heavier US seats are called "Full Bucket Seats" and add a few pounds. So the common LWB abbreviation used around here is technically incorrect for US spec cars...
Old 05-05-2017 | 12:43 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Chaos,
Any word if lightweight battery will be offered??

Going along with DOT, would radio (rear view camera) delete be legal? I just might like to do so!
Old 05-05-2017 | 12:45 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petevb
This agrees with what I've been told as well- the US spec seats are significantly different (and heavier) due to safety regs. Note that in Europe the seats are called LWB or "Lightweight Buckets Seats". The heavier US seats are called "Full Bucket Seats" and add a few pounds. So the common LWB abbreviation used around here is technically incorrect for US spec cars...
I wonder what makes up that extra few pounds? The leather pads in the middle of the belt passthrough area can be removed and its weight is negligible.
Old 05-05-2017 | 08:00 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Chaosoul, what's your best guess/opinion on how long GT cars will remain NA? Do you feel the GT3 would stay NA longer than the RS or would they both go to turbo together?
Old 05-05-2017 | 08:29 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
Chaos,
Any word if lightweight battery will be offered??

Going along with DOT, would radio (rear view camera) delete be legal? I just might like to do so!

It doesn't seem like lightweight battery will be offered for the normal GT3

It also doesn't seem like it will be possible for PCM delete or rear camera delete. Since you need the PCM for the camera, and the camera will be required due to new US regulation.

Originally Posted by bronson7
Chaosoul, what's your best guess/opinion on how long GT cars will remain NA? Do you feel the GT3 would stay NA longer than the RS or would they both go to turbo together?

Anything more than 2 years out again I don't have concrete information as mentioned. I don't like to guess. I know the current people leading the GT department would like to hold GT3s NA as long as possible, but its not always up to them. They will always have pressure from the top regarding emission, cost, performance numbers, that they can't ignore. Management changes as well, and so does executives.
Old 05-05-2017 | 09:25 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

With the new Michelins now on the .2GT3, will there be a new version of Dunlops also offered like there was on the .1?
Old 05-06-2017 | 04:35 AM
chaosoul
Pro

With the new Michelins now on the .2GT3, will there be a new version of Dunlops also offered like there was on the .1?

Old 05-07-2017 | 10:52 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Default Racing Yellow paint depth..

Racing Yellow used to be PTS.. Is the paint thicker (more coats) than compared to it's standard counterparts?
Old 05-07-2017 | 02:13 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Racing Yellow used to be PTS.. Is the paint thicker (more coats) than compared to it's standard counterparts?
I believe RY came aboard in 2014 to replace Speed yellow as a standard yellow colour for the 911's. The only time it was half considered PTS was for the 991 GT3RS only if you were granted a PTS allocation earlier but didn't want to wait the extra time for a true PTS. I believe Miami blue and Black were the other 2 offered to expedite your PTS wish. Where's Eduardo?
Old 05-07-2017 | 02:16 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

I believe RY came aboard in 2014 to replace Speed yellow as a standard yellow colour for the 911's. The only time it was half considered PTS was for the 991 GT3RS only if you were granted a PTS allocation earlier but didn't want to wait the extra time for a true PTS. I believe Miami blue and Black were the other 2 offered to expedite your PTS wish. Where's Eduardo?
Ah. thank you for the clarity.. I must've read incorrectly.
Old 05-07-2017 | 02:36 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Had lunch with dealer principle recently and it seems PCNA made it clear to dealers that they need to offer allocations to GT car owners and those locally at sticker. Any other info. On this "edict"? I'm locked for my .2RS!!

Quick Reply: Ask Chaosoul's Magic 8 Ball