Sponsored by:

The call of the next great Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
After driving all the 991 variations..... 991.1 Carrera, .1 Turbo S, .1 Targa, .1GT3, .1RS, .2 base, .2 4S, .2TurboS, I can say for me the one item that rattles the most in the entire car is the steering column casing in plastic.

Few of them had steering column in leather and they did not have rattle problems.
but there is plastic underneath the leather no?.. do you think the leather holds everything in place quietly? (PS.. cleaned out my inbox, can receive messages again)
Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
interesting.. why is that? those are my two favorite extras. have you had a bad experience with the leather over time?
No. I am just at the point that I like to spend my money on other upgrades now. I like the leather upgrade and when you are sitting in the driver's seat I can see the nice stitching ect. but the dashboard you enjoy more from outside the car when looking in. I like the PCCBs better because to me I can feel the difference. So- as I get older I am more interested in Performance items and less in some of the other things I view as less important.

When I go on the Porsche site and build the .2 GT3 I check almost all the Performance boxes. I now skip over the Dimming mirrors/ lighting package and extended dashboard ect ect. There comes a point where I just trade off certain upgrades to get to my desired price. If not - you can just get stupid on all these upgrades.

Hey - do not get me wrong. I have one of the highest optioned GT4s - because I got stupied and in the end I look at what is really important to me and what is not And i love those freakin PCCBS. No dust at all and they just are so confidence inspiring

Also - here in the Midwest it is cooler more often and after your done washing my car my brakes no longer rust
Old 04-13-2017, 07:14 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but there is plastic underneath the leather no?.. do you think the leather holds everything in place quietly? (PS.. cleaned out my inbox, can receive messages again)

Yea the casing rattles because of its looseness as it comes together.

If you press one hand against the plastic casing (for those without the option) the rattle will stop. I suspect the leather holds it tighter and softness of leather absorbs vibration essentially like putting a human hand on it
Old 04-13-2017, 07:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

...softness of leather absorbs vibration essentially like putting a human hand on it
What poetry you speak...

So you're a Californian Porsche poet who didn't know it.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^but can he make it rhyme all the time
Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 PM
chaosoul
Pro

What poetry you speak...

So you're a Californian Porsche poet who didn't know it.

yea I'm a CPP

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
No. I am just at the point that I like to spend my money on other upgrades now. I like the leather upgrade and when you are sitting in the driver's seat I can see the nice stitching ect. but the dashboard you enjoy more from outside the car when looking in. I like the PCCBs better because to me I can feel the difference. So- as I get older I am more interested in Performance items and less in some of the other things I view as less important.

When I go on the Porsche site and build the .2 GT3 I check almost all the Performance boxes. I now skip over the Dimming mirrors/ lighting package and extended dashboard ect ect. There comes a point where I just trade off certain upgrades to get to my desired price. If not - you can just get stupid on all these upgrades.

Hey - do not get me wrong. I have one of the highest optioned GT4s - because I got stupied and in the end I look at what is really important to me and what is not And i love those freakin PCCBS. No dust at all and they just are so confidence inspiring

Also - here in the Midwest it is cooler more often and after your done washing my car my brakes no longer rust

Those new dimming mirrors on .2 tho.... so good
Old 04-13-2017, 07:43 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Uh no. Just my gestalt of the appearance of GT3s that came with some or none of those options. I looked at GT3s with and without all of these options before ordering mine.
To me it looks right the way I described above. Totally subjective, YMMV.
However, this forum is about sharing opinions, is it not?
You missed my winking emoticon I think. Now on to the facts, the leather interior option actually covers a lot of the dash- more than most people realize. My dash is leather all the way up to the horizontal defrost vent band, with both the area around the speaker enclosures leather and the passenger airbag cover leather too.

What the extended leather dash option does is cover the dashboard end trims ( visible only when door open), dashboard upper section center air vent, dashboard upper section center trim right to the windshield, defroster panel, and side defroster vents in smooth-finish leather with decorative stitching.

All of those extra dash areas covered with leather bits and more decorative stitching can end up looking very overdone, not purposeful and very "cars and coffee."

The addition of leather around the steering column is hardly what pushes the stitched leather look over the edge from proper sports car to showpiece. Interestingly, neither the extended dash leather nor the leather steering column is an option on the RS without resorting to CXX options- that says something I think.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:45 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

#yolo for sure. Congrats on the order. Porsche is a huge drug, and I'm hooked. I started signing money over to Porsche with my first the GT4. Now I'm in deep.

I'm hoping to capitalize on the 991 market once you big dogs move on to the 991.2. But I'm still torn. I love the GT4, but I've always wanted a GT3.

I could surely stretch for a 991.2 GT3 payment of some sort if A) My wife didn't want to murder me B) My wife didn't want to murder me.

But the 991.1 GT3 used is a good deal.

Anyway - congrats on the build. Just about how I would make one. I love GT silver. (Rhodium too).
Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinon
Will add leather interior, will definitely look in person at the time of finalizing order. Is the Lift of good use or can be left out?
Congrats on your allocation. Enjoy.

Lift is much debated. I think it depends on your intended use, your driveway and area where you live. I've had two GT cars w/ it and three w/o. I could leave or take it. Current car doesn't have it and don't miss it.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea the casing rattles because of its looseness as it comes together.

If you press one hand against the plastic casing (for those without the option) the rattle will stop. I suspect the leather holds it tighter and softness of leather absorbs vibration essentially like putting a human hand on it
Nothing worse than rattles, drives me nuts, (funny how we hate interior piece's that rattle but love the rattle of a tranny). I have the leather casing and love the looks.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Interestingly, neither the extended dash leather nor the leather steering column is an option on the RS without resorting to CXX options- that says something I think.
It does. It says that the RS is supposed to be a more stripped down pure track car than the GT3, which straddles two worlds as a track-ready beast, that you can still drive to the office if you want to.

Thus, ordering less additional leather is more appropriate for the RS, than the GT3, and so less leather options are even available for the RS, than the GT3.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-13-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:24 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

.2 with a MT. Love it.

Have fun playing with the different options.

Absolutely agree with the full leather option.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
Nothing worse than rattles, drives me nuts, (funny how we hate interior piece's that rattle but love the rattle of a tranny). I have the leather casing and love the looks.
It does not rattle- some times your key chain can brush up against the plastic.

I have gotten the leather column on my last to Porsches and looks great. Every one must find the builds that make them happy. I have built enough to understand what I want. To each their own.

Seeking advice is fine but go to the dealership and look at some 911s to get an idea. Asking us nuts will only reap each individual's personal build
Old 04-15-2017, 04:38 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
It does not rattle- some times your key chain can brush up against the plastic.

I have gotten the leather column on my last to Porsches and looks great. Every one must find the builds that make them happy. I have built enough to understand what I want. To each their own.

Seeking advice is fine but go to the dealership and look at some 911s to get an idea. Asking us nuts will only reap each individual's personal build

the non-motorized non-leather-wrapped steering column rattling is a known common problem on 991.1 to 991.2. We've tried to get to the bottom of this many times, like literally taking every thing out of the car, including floor mats, cigarette lighters, and driving the car in the nude. Taping Teflon and squeezing foam pads into various places etc. None worked better than just putting pressure on the steering column with your hand.

That being said, not all 991 had this problem, some are plastic and non-motorized and have never seen this issue. Although, we have not seen one with leather steering column have this issue.

Also that being said, you're right, its each to their own. Some people literally will not hear it. We once had multiple people in the car, and one person just can't hear it even though everyone else is hearing it. Also to some people they can bear the noise etc. Not saying this will happen to everyone if you don't get it, you still have a decent chance to get one with no issues. Just see what's more important to you.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:18 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is my build.

Any suggestions or must haves?

Between GR and GT.

September build, delivery before Christmas. PDK only.

Big decision, should I wait for a 6 speed allocation?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The call of the next great Porsche