Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose weight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the years I spent w/o a radio in my Clubsport conditioned me not to miss a stereo , but I must say I'd NEVER consider dropping the A/C . The CS only got used in the spring and fall because it was so miserable in the summer . I dropped the radio knowing it would be the last US car I could get with a hole in the dash . I'd go for the Bose in a GT3 - maybe it adds 4 or 5 lbs ?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

The optional BOSE® Surround Sound System has been specially developed for the 911 models and is optimally tuned to the specific interior acoustics of these particular vehicles. The audio system features 12 fully active loudspeakers and amplifier channels including a patented 100-watt subwoofer integral to the vehicle bodyshell. This fully active system setup enables each individual loudspeaker to be optimally adapted to the vehicle interior and transforms the 911 GT3 into a fast-moving concert hall. Total output 555 watts.

To me having an active loudspeaker implies that there is an amp for each speaker. That would add weight. Not sure how much but maybe enough to be in Archimedes's dump range.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

The little weight will not affect the feel / performance of the car.

Some guys will tell you < 30 pounds is a life or death thing - in that case buy a cup car.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
If a stereo is holding back from winning the DE , fill the tank to 3/4 and drive naked
With the Grateful Dead blasting.
Winner!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm debating this as well but tipping the scales at barely 140, I don't think I need to worry about the extra weight of the Bose.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

So true. I'm not walter Rohl by any means.

To be honest I think its' crazy when people do AC or radio delete on their GT cars, because AC is so nice to have, and you only lose 18 lbs with the radio delete, and I would miss the radio and the navigation.

I'm likely wavering because I'm not an audiophile and I don't use my radio half the time anyway, (listening to engine), but when I do listen to the radio/ipod, I want to enjoy it.

The .2 GT3 hits all the boxes for me, with the new engine, new electronics, downforce, etc. so despite the fact that the 2. GT3 will be my 5th Porsche in 8 years, I plan to keep this car for a decade so I won't deprive myself of any options I might enjoy for ten years.

(Although my friends and family don't believe this is my last Porsche for a decade.......)
Drifting ,
I think it's more a cost consequence than weight for us , if you enjoy listening to music Probably a huge improvement over the present sound
package plus( which is really pretty weak ) than there's value
myself I order all the tech upgrades even though I may not utilize
i.e. online services never used , sport chrono track app never used .
navigation rarely , to me , being in the car is the destination I really don't
want get there because then I have to get out of the car .
but to your point a 500watt stereo must have mass
and likely this new .2 a keeper NICELY TWEAKED
Cheers , no intent to demean your thread ,
Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I'm of a firm mind with my sports cars that less is more. It's not all about weight, whatever. Less is more. If you're really, really going to daily the car, it's your primary ride, go for whatever makes it a better daily.

But I daily a cayenne diesel with Bose, cooled seats, heated seats, blind spot warning, lots of nice leather, full sunroof, etc.

It's cushy and nice. But not my sports car.

If I don't get an allocation and end up buying 2nd hand I won't buy a car with these options.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently drove Cayenne with Bose sound system and I was really underwhelmed. Worse than HK in X5.
Keep in mind that on top of that GT3 has minimal isolation so I believe this system will be total waste of money. Any system cannot perform well without proper car preparation.
In regards to weight saving it all depends from which point you start. GT3 can weight 100kg less than the same GT3 with plenty of options.
Add PCCB, buckets and titanium exhaust and skip things like roll cage, front lift, Bose and the difference is already over 100kgs. That is a huge difference for 1400ish kg car.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:42 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At the end of the day, this is a road car, and it's positioned to be the perfect blend between road and track as Porsche would say. So whether you are getting a Bose or not, it's not going to matter except to you. This is not a Formula 1 where the driver has to worry about the Eggs he ate in the morning. Enjoy the car, whether you loaded it up, or have it as a stripper. At the end of the day it's not gonna matter except to you, enjoy it.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
The optional BOSE® Surround Sound System has been specially developed for the 911 models and is optimally tuned to the specific interior acoustics of these particular vehicles. The audio system features 12 fully active loudspeakers and amplifier channels including a patented 100-watt subwoofer integral to the vehicle bodyshell. This fully active system setup enables each individual loudspeaker to be optimally adapted to the vehicle interior and transforms the 911 GT3 into a fast-moving concert hall. Total output 555 watts.

To me having an active loudspeaker implies that there is an amp for each speaker. That would add weight. Not sure how much but maybe enough to be in Archimedes's dump range.
An active system just means there aren't passive crossovers. It means there is a digital processor for eq and crossover points. It probably ises a single digital amp and separate processor. I'm guessing under 5 lbs. The speakers are probably pretty light too. My guess is that the full system with subwoofer is probably 20 lbs more than the stock system.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
An active system just means there aren't passive crossovers. It means there is a digital processor for eq and crossover points. It probably ises a single digital amp and separate processor. I'm guessing under 5 lbs. The speakers are probably pretty light too. My guess is that the full system with subwoofer is probably 20 lbs more than the stock system.
Having seen your lair, I would take your word on this as gospel.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

I notice you are a current owner of a GT3 so you are no doubt intimate with all the noises that a GT3 makes both in the city and especially on the Hyway at a steady cruise in 7th where, due to its shorter gearing, its revving around 1,000 rpm higher at any given speed compared to a regular 991.

So amongst all this noise, how anybody can hear any music at a so-called acceptable "audiophile" level is beyond me. IHMO, the BOSE system, or indeed even the std music system, is a waste of time and money in a GT3. I listen to the engine.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:27 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this would make a better job than any dedicated system in a car like GT3:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HK...3da2fed2e39ff0

And it should fit the cup holder!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:17 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Not a resident expert on acoustics, other then to note that a vehicle cabin is somewhat more complex then a concert hall. But isn't a premium sound option somewhat wasted when the car is designed to intimately share engine and gearbox noise along with road noise? Its not that good a system to cancel these noises out other then to perhaps generate better quality sound at higher volumes ?

So maybe the question is do you like your music loud ? Its probably the only time when you would notice the difference above the road and car noise interference.

So I vote to save the $ and weight... In mine I was tempted to delete entirely but I miss the navigation and rear camera option if I do so.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always play my radio on mountain drives so would get the Bose myself. If the engine occasionally drowns out the radio so be it. 9K seems to make the radio better sometimes. More is more for me.

Quick Reply: Bose weight?