Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:03 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cleaning lady reports production start of September.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:04 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Two rubber (or carpet) mats for the floor, no sound insulation, 964 RS style door panels, cup style dash (just the top and basic gauges), minimum number of airbags legally required, no AC, no cruise, no radio, no power locks, no power windows, no storage compartments, lots of CF body panels, basically a lotus Exige cup but a Porsche.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:47 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,279 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Two rubber (or carpet) mats for the floor, no sound insulation, 964 RS style door panels, cup style dash (just the top and basic gauges), minimum number of airbags legally required, no AC, no cruise, no radio, no power locks, no power windows, no storage compartments, lots of CF body panels, basically a lotus Exige cup but a Porsche.
Straight up going to steal your car while you're at the mall.

No power lock?? Slim Jim+ magic cup spec = chop shop
Old 12-20-2017, 03:45 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Straight up going to steal your car while you're at the mall.

No power lock?? Slim Jim+ magic cup spec = chop shop
What’s a mall? Anyone see the video of the spoofed keyless theives? Nothing is safe (well my cars are locked in a garage at my houses and work which is as safe as it gets).. Anyone with a tow truck can steal anything and pretty much all cars have some sort of immobilizer built in even if they have manual locks.

Seriously, I would buy that car in a heartbeat. I am hoping lotus comes back to the US beyond the Evora (which I never liked). There was something right about those cars (even if the oil cooler line made me have to swap the motor in the Elise .... somehow I don’t think I will be able to find a used GT3 motor for $1500 like I did with the lotus and, you know, they were unsafe at any speed without nannies).

Old 12-20-2017, 03:54 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

What’s a mall? Anyone see the video of the spoofed keyless theives? Nothing is safe (well my cars are locked in a garage at my houses and work which is as safe as it gets).. Anyone with a tow truck can steal anything and pretty much all cars have some sort of immobilizer built in even if they have manual locks.

Seriously, I would buy that car in a heartbeat. I am hoping lotus comes back to the US beyond the Evora (which I never liked). There was something right about those cars (even if the oil cooler line made me have to swap the motor in the Elise .... somehow I don’t think I will be able to find a used GT3 motor for $1500 like I did with the lotus and, you know, they were unsafe at any speed without nannies).

I'd buy that if it had a navi, A/C, and full leather options.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:07 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I’d prefer it not have a full cage. But the rest I can deal without. A cheap in-dash radio and a couple speakers would be nice though. I am tempted to do carpet delete.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:03 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

buyers Will cry because no rear seats

because they have kids..
Old 12-20-2017, 09:03 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd like to add 1 (and maybe a second) thing to the .2 RS wishlist:
-1- TC in stages with rotary dial like AMG GTR
maybe -2- SC switchable in stages
Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Ok so consensus recipe:

HOW TO BAKE THE PERFECT RS

Easier to DIY
Easier to change pads (see above)
Way more spartan interior
Wings and things for downforce
Adjustable ABS/ Bias (adds money but awesome)
Stripped of all sound deadening (go deaf, smile at wife no idea what she is saying)
Exhaust that can alternatively pass sound at hippie tracks or rip 104dB for Buttonwillow
Harness bar comes with it
Harnesses come with it
Thin fenders, bumpers and hood/deck.
Super lightweight (ac yes but no other comforts necessary)
Lightweight rear glass-- plastic

Issues:

Cost > current escalation due to increased Motorsport content (bars, harnesses, abs, brake Bias, Ecu remap: Wet, Mist, Dry, Qualify maps)

Running costs:
PFC cup rotors are heaps cheaper than pccb but you will roast them every few months.
What will engine life be?
Hardcore hub/axles have to be replaced regularly
Same with suspension components: revalving shocks every 3k Miles etc

I do not see cockpit adjustable bars ever happening on a street car.
Couple of things I think could easily happen on a street car version of this, adjustable ABS/TC and cockpit adjustable bars. I'll start with the easy one.

Adjustable ABS/TC: This has mainly been a motorsport only system but we are starting to see it added to other cars. Look at Mercedes in the AMG GTR, although I think it is only a 12 position TC switch. Porsche has a two stage TC/Stability Control option. Porsche already has this on the GT3R, which I know is a motorsport version but my point with this is the technology is already there. I feel that the thinking in the past has been this isn't the type of system that consumers are ready for and there may still be some truth to this but I don't see it as something that couldn't be done very easily in the GT3 and GT3 RS. Spread the cost of development out over the 5000 GT units produced and the cost added to the car is minimal.

Cockpit adjustable bars: This one is more of a stretch than the ABS/TC but I do feel it can be done and consumers of the GT cars would find more value in this than the motorized rear steer the GT cars currently have installed. Again this is hypothetical talking but I would think that the technology is there to do this with the push of a button. Since Porsche has the adjustable toe in the rear powered by a motor why couldn't they do this with a simple set of blade style sway bars. Give the user 5 presets with the push of a button on the dash and off you go. Yes it would be more complex than the current bars used on the car but the same could have been said for the adjustable toe in the rear too. Most people wouldn't use the adjustment that much other than to play with it but this to me is a more usable solution than engineering an active adjustable toe setting in the rear suspension of the car. Cost would be similar to the rear toe so eliminate it and add the adjustable sway bars. This would keep the cost the same/similar to what the current marketing engineering in the car.

It is understandable that Porsche is in the business to sell cars so bits like this don't add the hype to marketing side like some of the other bits the cars come with. They do have to make a car that can be driven on the street as well as it can be driven on the track. The car is full of compromises but ones that don't sacrifice the fun on track. That is why we don't see solid bushings in the suspension and plastic windows. These items put more noise in the cabin than most consumers want and they wouldn't buy as many GT cars. It is interesting that when Porsche made the 996 GT3 available for the US market people were buying them up and then trading them in very soon afterwards. The salesman I bought mine from in 2005 said most of the guys who bought them from the dealership would come back in complaining of the loud road noise, the harsh suspension and the stiff clutch in the car. The next generation of GT car in the US was just a bit softer with more options and comfort items available, aka sunroof. With every generation this gets more and more true. The GT cars now are more of a daily driver type than the GT cars in the past. Even the elusive 4.0 is more of a comfortable, daily driver than the 996 GT3. I would love to see a more simplified, motorsport inspired GT car come to market but I also know what we think of as motorsport inspired isn't what the general public wants. We can keep on dreaming though.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,707 Likes on 2,342 Posts

since we are all dreaming here, here is mine 2 cents.

seth you are a pro driver, the adjustability is important to you as track / road condition changes.
but for non pro or even some pro's, adj anything is bad.
sure some ppl know if things are not right, but they dont know enough to get it right or fixed.
i am not much of a driver, but we rode on some sophisticated ohlin MTB shox long ago when i rode.
even the very top riders was fidgeting with it. there's a theoretical advantqage when it's right, but rarely does anyone gets it right. even with ohlin engineers there, with different rider pref, to get it right on ONE course, it would take a whole day, and this is with just ONE rear shock.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz

because they have kids..
LOL. I'm crying because I don't have one!!!!
Old 12-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
LOL. I'm crying because I don't have one!!!!
Kids or seats?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

I don't understand Porsche not putting AC and PDK in the new CUP cars anyway, it would be a minimum requirement for me.
CUP cars should be stripped RS anyway.. Like the GT4CS but without the half baked motor.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz

because they have kids..

you have kids?
Old 12-20-2017, 01:19 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

My perfect RS. It definitely can be accomplished.

1. Lighter, 3100 lbs with pdk and 3050 with a manual
2. 5 lugs instead of CL
3. Full alcantara and CF interior
4. Manual option
5. 540hp 4.0L, 9000 rpm redline
6. US clubsport package

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS