Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 10:42 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
since we are all dreaming here, here is mine 2 cents.

seth you are a pro driver, the adjustability is important to you as track / road condition changes.
but for non pro or even some pro's, adj anything is bad.
sure some ppl know if things are not right, but they dont know enough to get it right or fixed.
i am not much of a driver, but we rode on some sophisticated ohlin MTB shox long ago when i rode.
even the very top riders was fidgeting with it. there's a theoretical advantqage when it's right, but rarely does anyone gets it right. even with ohlin engineers there, with different rider pref, to get it right on ONE course, it would take a whole day, and this is with just ONE rear shock.
I get what you are saying but I don't think these type of adjustments are that bad. My thoughts on the adjustable traction control would be user selected and tuned down compared to a race system until you get to all off. When the dial says 0 then you have 0 intervention. I don't see most guys messing with it but it really inst' that much harder to do than what we currently have with the two step system.

For the adjustable bars I don't see this as a reality and most guys would never touch them. My thoughts on this would be for the serious track guy, like Trak car or yourself, then you could do some fine tuning of the car throughout the day to which suits your driving style. The adjustments would be easy so you don't have to pull the CL wheels off the car to make the changes. It wouldn't be like tuning shocks with some clicks which can really send you in the wrong direction fast. And to me this is a better usable tool and marketing strategy than doing rear steer like they are now. Be the first to implement the coolest track setup and make it a part of your marketing since Lambo beat Porsche to active aero.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I didn't notice the steering locking (even with key removed) - does it on yours?
Hmmm... I think so. Gotta check when the snow is gone. (At least I did not have any problems when switching wheels.)

Can steering lock be market depending?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:45 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I would love to see a more simplified, motorsport inspired GT car come to market but I also know what we think of as motorsport inspired isn't what the general public wants. We can keep on dreaming though.
+1 But it is not like Porsche is selling millions of these cars.The cars targeted audience has grown up and matured and knows more about what they want from a GT3(RS): If they don't want a motorsport inspired hardcore car: Get something else. No big problem.

Anyway: Cockpit adjusted swaybars: How does that work: How do you adjust them?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:18 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Lotus has adjustable suspension and traction control on the Exige cup 430.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...w-first-drive/

This porsche, this is what I want. Make me a 911 like this, but hold the alcantara.

Or lotus please let me have a US road legal version. TYIA.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kobalt
+1 But it is not like Porsche is selling millions of these cars.The cars targeted audience has grown up and matured and knows more about what they want from a GT3(RS): If they don't want a motorsport inspired hardcore car: Get something else. No big problem.

Anyway: Cockpit adjusted swaybars: How does that work: How do you adjust them?
Here is how they are adjusted or position changed inside the cockpit of a cup car and here is the link to the system that was for sale from a Rennlist ad: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ontrol-fs.html

Since this is a blade type sway bar it would be fairly easy for a manufacturer to add some type of servo on the end of the blade adjustment of the bar so the bars can be adjusted with a switch in the dash. They could even do the changes to the bars in the computer settings screen on the dash just like we have to set Pit Lane Speed. This way the car is stationary when the changes are made and not accidentally changed while on track.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
Lotus has adjustable suspension and traction control on the Exige cup 430.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...w-first-drive/

This porsche, this is what I want. Make me a 911 like this, but hold the alcantara.

Or lotus please let me have a US road legal version. TYIA.
Yes this is exactly what we need. Preset levels of slip dialed in by a control on the dash. This isn't a save your *** TC but one that you can dial in as you get comfortable with the car. On my RS there are times where I woudln't mind have a little bit of TC turned on, like coming out of Turn 7 at Road Atlanta, but the TC that Porsche currently gives us is either all on, slightly on, or all off. The either all on or slightly on is too much intervention for the majority of the track. If there was a couple more positions to choose from I could get turn 7 dialed in and not be limited in the other spots on the track.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:16 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,279 Likes on 612 Posts

Seth and Mooty - I love the discussion and see both sides. I'd love the DIY sway bar adjust. Set mine at one past medium rear and one from full stiff in the front. For TCS I actively hit buttons all the time - even in my Cayenne SE-Hybrid I hit active charge while coasting to lights. In my LT I switch ESC OFF for some corners or mid session once tires are greasy and I want to drift one or two corners.

Mclaren has the best systems for this so far with the adjustable yaw / Variable Drift Control.

But I think porsche has on or off only because of liability. They know people will track, and they know a certain % of us as a buying group are hardcore and know how to handle the car and a % is new money poser crowd that will 100% PLOW INTO PEOPLE AT CARS AND COFFEE.

"My jeans were too skinny" = porsche not sued
"My sways were full stiff and nobody at chicago dolphin's favorite dealer told me how this TCS/ active diff dial worked" - porsche sued

Reality is that Porsche expects you and I to have a pit crew with air guns for track days to adjust our cars. If we are going for full time attack.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can’t people just let others do what they want with their car?

i track some vehicles and some i dont

i also take my kids to a random cars and coffee with some vehicles and others not

Old 12-21-2017, 01:27 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,279 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
Can’t people just let others do what they want with their car?

i track some vehicles and some i dont

i also take my kids to a random cars and coffee with some vehicles and others not
Listen I am all for everyone getting everything they want but my point is that some jabroni will sue porsche when they crash their adjustable suspension car. Porsche had to settle a lawsuit for two people driving 100 mph in a 40 zone with 8 year old tires who were drifting the car in a business park.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:03 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

They settled for PR reasons. Nothing more.

Jeep has sway bar disconnects on the rubicon. Of course, they limit you to low range to do it.

Personally I think the all nannies off button will go the way of the dodo soon. All off on a base 911 is not really all off already. In that sense, a dial down **** is safer. All off is much more of a liability issue to me than adjustable sway bars or suspension (a lot of suspensions are adjustable already).

Maybe CJ can add a lotus franchise to his stable and do some lobbying to get me a road Exige cup 430. It was a sad day when my local dealer went away.

Honing in on my perfect GT3RS:
​​
6MT
adjustable suspension
traction control ****
CF panels
titanium exhaust
Optional AC
optional radio with two speakers
optional carpet or rubber mats
optional sound insulation

Oh wait, that’s the Exige cup 430
Old 12-21-2017, 02:23 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 417 Posts

Adjustable bars and variable traction would be nice. Maybe we get the latter since AMG broke the seal with the GTR. All I really want is lighter weight. Not just a battery and wheels, but stripped out bare bones interior. Look at an F40. Yes you need to keep bags and other required safety devices, but dump the power everything, leather and insulation. Comes with a free set of custom earplugs. Check one box, not pick and choose Starbucks style. Any color you want as long as it's white. No deviated rubber dash and TC **** in exterior color. They could do it.

PS. If they want to limit production... Waiting list would be built based on most track miles in P GT cars over prior 1-3 years.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Lol make that man head of marketing.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Seth and Mooty - I love the discussion and see both sides. I'd love the DIY sway bar adjust. Set mine at one past medium rear and one from full stiff in the front. For TCS I actively hit buttons all the time - even in my Cayenne SE-Hybrid I hit active charge while coasting to lights. In my LT I switch ESC OFF for some corners or mid session once tires are greasy and I want to drift one or two corners.

Mclaren has the best systems for this so far with the adjustable yaw / Variable Drift Control.

But I think porsche has on or off only because of liability. They know people will track, and they know a certain % of us as a buying group are hardcore and know how to handle the car and a % is new money poser crowd that will 100% PLOW INTO PEOPLE AT CARS AND COFFEE.

"My jeans were too skinny" = porsche not sued
"My sways were full stiff and nobody at chicago dolphin's favorite dealer told me how this TCS/ active diff dial worked" - porsche sued

Reality is that Porsche expects you and I to have a pit crew with air guns for track days to adjust our cars. If we are going for full time attack.
Legit question for you on your comment about Porsche thinking about liability on having an adjustable system. How do companies like McLaren, Lamborghini or Ferrari (Yes I used the F-word in the same sentence at McLaren) get away with having an adjustable TC system but Porsche is worried about being sued? My reason for asking is I have seen more Ferraris and Lambos in videos crashing into crowds than I have Porsches. I do understand the fear from the lawsuit in the Paul Walker case. To me it is sad that a car company has to worry about how a car is going to be used once it is outside of their control especially a performance brand like Porsche.

Since I haven't really said what I would like in a GT RS road car in the future here are my specs:

Must weigh 3000-3050lbs wet
4.0L motor with 500-550 hp in NA trim and a 8500-9000 RPM redline
Forego carpet for floor liners/mats similar to Ferrari on the 360 Stadele/430 Scuderia
Manual or PDK but go with a LTW clutch/flywheel combo
Definitely a rollbar like Europe
Wheel size similar to Cup Cars so we get get decent track tires
Alcantara interior with leather optional
Rear suspension is cup style without any gimmicky motors. Do like the 996/997 where cup car parts would also fit on the cars if the owner desired and offer them an upgrade of motorsports parts
Sport fixed buckets only
Manual roll up windows
LTW windows from the Carrera T
Make the RS the track/street version of the GT3

And make it a limited number since we know the market for this spartan a car is small. Give preference to owners who actually keep, track or drive their GT cars and have a history of doing so. If dealers are worried about us owners making money on the car after we buy it then put a clause in the contract that it is a lease or we can't sell for a certain period of time.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:45 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Legit question for you on your comment about Porsche thinking about liability on having an adjustable system. How do companies like McLaren, Lamborghini or Ferrari (Yes I used the F-word in the same sentence at McLaren) get away with having an adjustable TC system but Porsche is worried about being sued? My reason for asking is I have seen more Ferraris and Lambos in videos crashing into crowds than I have Porsches. I do understand the fear from the lawsuit in the Paul Walker case. To me it is sad that a car company has to worry about how a car is going to be used once it is outside of their control especially a performance brand like Porsche.
because 70% Porsche guys drive better

and because other 30% worried about resell don't drive them at all
Old 12-21-2017, 06:22 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Listen I am all for everyone getting everything they want but my point is that some jabroni will sue porsche when they crash their adjustable suspension car. Porsche had to settle a lawsuit for two people driving 100 mph in a 40 zone with 8 year old tires who were drifting the car in a business park.
Yup, most jabronis (love that term btw) say that want this hardcore streetable car with all these track car gadgets and things but then once they get anything close to that they will be the first to b1tch and moan about things like it being too loud, too low, too stiff, too bumpy, no back seat, etc, etc, etc. Hell I'll be the first to admit that even though I love all winged Porsches and am as big of a nutter as can be, I still want power windows, mirrors, navi, bluetooth, full leather, cup holders, and most importantly A/C in all my GT cars. I want a "gentleman's" streetable track car.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS