Sponsored by:

Purchase .1 GT3 or wait for .2... indecision...advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Norcal_GT3
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
1-Very small percentage of .1s have issues. To get the most exact number, do a search for a fellow named macca, and then send him a PM.

2-my understanding is that its very hard to get an extended warranty through Porsche on a GT3, that you bought privately. Some dealers won't even do it on their own cars.
Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with archimedes, while the 997 GT3s certainly offer a different driving experience compared to 991s, the 991 GT3s are definitely more attractive cars cosmetically.
Originally Posted by tstafford
When I bought my GT3 I gave this some thought and decided I didn't care about it. What happens, happens. The car is amazing and if it burns up on the track the likelihood is Porsche will stand behind it. Regardless - cross that bridge when I come to it.

If one thinks that this issue would continue to be on their mind. Each time they turn the key they would wonder. Then I think passing on the .1 GT3 is the right move. The car is designed to be hammered on the track. If fear of an engine failure lingers in the mind it probably ruins the experience. And at that point, what are you buying?
Agreed and the factory has found that the majority of these impact the top end only and do not require engine replacement. The likely repair should one encounter the misfire issue is a top end rebuild to G spec. Worst case, you have to pay for this outside of the warranty period if you don't buy an extended warranty. It would be difficult to justify given the small percentage of cars affected but I wonder how much it would cost to do the top end rebuild as a preventative measure?
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK... no longer indecisive... Here's my plan:

The SB GT3 I've been after is not going to work out... condition not as represented by seller... getting kind of tired of sellers describing cars as "Flawless" only find out once decent pictures are taken or a PPI done, that the car is peppered with rock chips and poor paint protection film application. The definition of Flawless: (adjective) without any blemishes or imperfections; perfect.; anyways, off my soapbox and onto my plan:

1. I've decided to continue my pursuit of a private party '15 or '16 GT3.
2. Expanding color choice to include silver in addition to the SB.
3. Not going to compromise on must have options of: 18-way seats, front axle lift, extended leather, and adding heated seats to the must haves.
4. Going to purchase and extend warranty through EasyCare.
5. Drive it for a couple years, then move up to the .2 GT3 or the RS.

Not in a rush, since should be more .1's coming online once the .2 is released. So if you're slotted to get a .2, keep me in mind before getting waxed on trade-in value!!!

Thanks again to all for helping me get this sorted out!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 PM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Comes down to this.

Are you guaranteed a .2GT3?

If so - then wait.

If not - enjoy the .1GT3. It is under warranty and maybe that will help you negotiate a .2 in the future. But it all depends on you Transmission preference. If you want a Manual grab a GT4 and play the same scenario out
agree if for sure in allocation position why not wait ? Yeah new engine could have issues but given the last go round I bet not. Guessing they tests this all day long. Why buybpossible issues.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:30 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
OK... no longer indecisive... Here's my plan:

The SB GT3 I've been after is not going to work out... condition not as represented by seller... getting kind of tired of sellers describing cars as "Flawless" only find out once decent pictures are taken or a PPI done, that the car is peppered with rock chips and poor paint protection film application. The definition of Flawless: (adjective) without any blemishes or imperfections; perfect.; anyways, off my soapbox and onto my plan:

1. I've decided to continue my pursuit of a private party '15 or '16 GT3.
2. Expanding color choice to include silver in addition to the SB.
3. Not going to compromise on must have options of: 18-way seats, front axle lift, extended leather, and adding heated seats to the must haves.
4. Going to purchase and extend warranty through EasyCare.
5. Drive it for a couple years, then move up to the .2 GT3 or the RS.

Not in a rush, since should be more .1's coming online once the .2 is released. So if you're slotted to get a .2, keep me in mind before getting waxed on trade-in value!!!

Thanks again to all for helping me get this sorted out!
Confused as to what you are no longer decisive about? Now considering Silver? Were you just 'tire kicking' up to now?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:48 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Confused as to what you are no longer decisive about? Now considering Silver? Were you just 'tire kicking' up to now?
Nope... But was limiting search to Sapphire blue only, now adding silver as an option ... Indecisive about purchasing .1 due to misfire issues and waiting for . 2... (see original post and responses). I guess you could call it kicking tires if that's what you mean by my scheduling 2 PPI's and having 2 cars come up short.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 AM
RSA_27149
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't pass up a car if it has LWB seats on an otherwise perfect spec. I'm sure you can find people willing to trade for 18-ways.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:58 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Nope... But was limiting search to Sapphire blue only, now adding silver as an option ... Indecisive about purchasing .1 due to misfire issues and waiting for . 2... (see original post and responses). I guess you could call it kicking tires if that's what you mean by my scheduling 2 PPI's and having 2 cars come up short.
I guess I assumed that if you were having ppi's done, then you had decided to buy a GT3 (which it sounds like you had).
Old 02-28-2017, 02:19 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Yes.... I am going to buy "the right one"
With the . 2's coming soon, hoping the supply of . 1's will increase... Time will tell... The search continues in the meantime
Old 02-28-2017, 07:19 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA_27149
I wouldn't pass up a car if it has LWB seats on an otherwise perfect spec. I'm sure you can find people willing to trade for 18-ways.
For sure. And they'll pay to swap. But LWB GT3 are rare - at least ones that can be bought are rare.

Quick Reply: Purchase .1 GT3 or wait for .2... indecision...advice appreciated