991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'll just leave this here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017 | 09:01 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

It helps to be driving in a country where drivers actually understand the only proper thing to do in passing lanes is actual passing as well as no speed limits of course.
Old 02-06-2017 | 09:11 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

At 300 kmph is still too dangerous, even on the autobahn.
Old 02-06-2017 | 09:52 PM
beetleything
Racer

Yes - Autobahn madness.
Old 02-06-2017 | 10:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I drove on the autobahn and went about 130 mph. It was pretty safe actually, as there were probably no other Americans on the road.
Old 02-06-2017 | 10:06 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

I'm not trying to defend stupid driving in any way, but it is a little funny to note the differences in reaction to a video that was shot on the Autobahn versus on a freeway somewhere in the states. One legal, one not. Both very dangerous. Obviously legalities aren't the only difference as we can see in the video.. drivers actually know to stay in the right lane, but I think you have to have a little bit of a death wish to do this anywhere on a public road.

Not that I'm adverse to someone else doing it and posting a crazy video on Youtube... lol
Old 02-06-2017 | 10:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by tonymission
I'm not trying to defend stupid driving in any way, but it is a little funny to note the differences in reaction to a video that was shot on the Autobahn versus on a freeway somewhere in the states. One legal, one not. Both very dangerous. Obviously legalities aren't the only difference as we can see in the video.. drivers actually know to stay in the right lane, but I think you have to have a little bit of a death wish to do this anywhere on a public road.

Not that I'm adverse to someone else doing it and posting a crazy video on Youtube... lol
Yeah Tony very few here think this was a good idea, but thank god the gopro was running.
Old 02-06-2017 | 10:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
At 300 kmph is still too dangerous, even on the autobahn.
Going over 300 kph was really not dangerous enough, so let's go over 300 kph at night. Crazy stuff. Thank god it is on video.
Old 02-06-2017 | 10:29 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

I am rather baffled by what I see as a serious misunderstanding in this thread about the speed of colors. With all due respect to Bronson7, who hands down has to be the most gentlemanly blogger in RL, let's see.

It is just basic physics. Lighter colors, as we all were taught in grade school, reflect more light. Thus 911 cars in white , yellows etc. reflect a lot of light. No argument there. Now here is the crux of this argument: When light reflects of a 911, the mass of the reflected light, in fact colliding photons, slow down the car since the photons represent an opposing force. Bear in mind that this has to be true since the exposed frontal area of a 911 exceeds by far the rear ( I mean just look at the size of the frunk cover vs. the engine cover, which one is larger? Really, no argument).

On the other hand darker colors, which in fact absorb rather than reflect light, don't have that disadvantage. Actually one could argue by the same circular logic that the absorbed mass, in fact, pushes the car rather than slow it down. Although, granted, darker colored cars would be heavier from the mass of the absorbed photons the difference is negligible. Want proof? Just ask yourself how much do you weight when you are in a darker place vs. a well lighted one? The same, right? Therefore, the evidence is clear, black cars not only have to be faster, they are definitely hotter. Enough said.

Well now that we have put to rest the speed of colors conundrum we should turn our attention to....well forget that one,

DISCLAIMER - my GT3 is black and my knowledge of physics is on par with my ability to correctly predict Lotto numbers. .icon107:
Old 02-06-2017 | 11:21 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

^^^ That, I truly enjoyed with a good laugh. Thank you.
Old 02-06-2017 | 11:39 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Racing yellow is, indeed, the fastest. I have a SY 968 but the video I tried to post is too blurred to see anything. Reminds me of my fastest lap down the Mulsanne at 3AM.
Sorry. Next time I will take a passenger with a better camera.
Old 02-07-2017 | 11:39 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Just in time
When light reflects of a 911, the mass of the reflected light, in fact colliding photons, slow down the car since the photons represent an opposing force.
But photons are massless... however, the do exert a force which is how solar sails work. Therefore the best color for straight line speed is a dark front and light rear.
Old 02-07-2017 | 11:52 PM
Leica 993
Racer

The GT3 is simply amazing.
Old 02-08-2017 | 12:05 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
But photons are massless... however, the do exert a force which is how solar sails work. Therefore the best color for straight line speed is a dark front and light rear.
I stand corrected. See my knowledge of physics is indeed limited. But I do know photons have momentum, thus I do like your color combination, although I would not ride a car like that even if it is the fastest. Maybe we can settle for gray as the fastest color?

Indeed, the notion of photons used for propulsion is being studied actively by many as a solution to long distance space travel. Maybe we can adapt it to racing. Flux capacitor anyone?
Old 02-08-2017 | 12:07 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
The GT3 is simply amazing.
^^^ This
Old 02-08-2017 | 08:49 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Great post "Just In Time" ... LOL

Quick Reply: I'll just leave this here...