Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Allocation Premium

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

The .1 GT3 and the GT4 were not only offered to me at MSRP on one occasion but on two other occasions at $5k off of MSRP (in the case of the GT3). I did not buy either (that's a whole 'nother story).

Anyone who is patient and not stupid with their money will get this car at MSRP. On the other hand, I firmly believe we should implement a solution like our friends up north and not allow > MSRP sales.

Why is a car any different than buying any other product? It has a sticker price and you pay it; done, move on.

Has anyone here paid above MSRP for a TV or a refrigerator or a sound system or a pair of jeans or an iPhone ... the list goes on. Most likely not.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by k997

Anyone who is patient and not stupid with their money will get this car at MSRP.
That's not what's happening here in Nashville. Maybe because we only have one dealer? They just sold a new RS above sticker. Wish I lived somewhere where people got these cars for under MSRP. (I paid a $2K premium on the GT4 for example.)
Old 02-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
That's not what's happening here in Nashville. Maybe because we only have one dealer? They just sold a new RS above sticker. Wish I lived somewhere where people got these cars for under MSRP. (I paid a $2K premium on the GT4 for example.)
I'm with ya, but I guess it really depends on the ethics of the dealer and perhaps because you only have one to work with. I'm guessing if you expand to Evansville or any other direction within 2 hours of where you're based, you will hit other P-dealers that will work with you.

I live/work across three of the most expensive cities on the east coast (NYC, DC and Miami) and am well aware of all the dealerships within both tri-states and south Florida.

You will get the car at MSRP, all it requires is patience.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:22 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
...or even sometimes, LESS.
8% off on a .2 c2s for my friend,
Old 02-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
You're right. I hope you get your wish and pay Market value for all your cars. I will pay MSRP.

Happy Friday!
Point missed. Again.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:29 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Point missed. Again.
Yes, precisely..
Old 02-03-2017, 03:40 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Anyone who is patient and not stupid with their money will get this car at MSRP.
And if you don't, just move to something else. But as long as there are folks with the 'I got to have it now at any cost' mentality (and the money to back that up), plus greedy dealers, it won't stop. I'll never be part of that game (even if I had money to burn, just like Jay Leno did with Ferrari), but don't have a problem with the practice. Part of capitalism.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I mentioned this in the other thread, but the majority of first round of GT3 allocations will be nothing more than flipping exercises. My guess is that the premiums that will be asked will be $30k-$40k over initially. That number will keep coming down as more and more allocations are released. I predict that allocations in sometime in early to mid 2018 will be sold at or near MSRP.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:25 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I mentioned this in the other thread, but the majority of first round of GT3 allocations will be nothing more than flipping exercises. My guess is that the premiums that will be asked will be $30k-$40k over initially. That number will keep coming down as more and more allocations are released. I predict that allocations in sometime in early to mid 2018 will be sold at or near MSRP.
Totally get that and probably correct.

But practically speaking how does one pass on an allocation and then hope the same dealer will offer one again at a lesser number? Seems if one opts to pass the likelihood is that dealer will be done with that potential victim. No? I'm asking because I've only gone through this one time on the GT4 and premiums persisted all the way until the end of the run. I happened to get mine sort of mid way thru and got a very low premium ($2K) on a car on the boat.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:24 PM
MS7044
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I passed on a gt4 allocation in the first round and got one in the second. Both were at msrp I passed the first time as I was a bit too busy to deal with it. I understand why people get on all the lists. As discussed earlier everyone has a different way to approach this. My personal view is a dealer may honor a list but they all have special clients who never have to be on a list and never have to place a deposit (even after ordering unless it's a very odd order configuration). Looking at the state of how porsche is run from a holding company level that looks across all VW brands and seeing some some odd indications like the fact that porsche got a few RSs into mainland china for direct sale from their dealers (this is a pure money play) very late (now) I agree with Trojan that we will see a lot of .2 GT3 so just be patient. Let's just hope if they do manual they don't require wing delete to get it.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:32 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by MS7044
I passed on a gt4 allocation in the first round and got one in the second. Both were at msrp I passed the first time as I was a bit too busy to deal with it. I understand why people get on all the lists. As discussed earlier everyone has a different way to approach this. My personal view is a dealer may honor a list but they all have special clients who never have to be on a list and never have to place a deposit (even after ordering unless it's a very odd order configuration). Looking at the state of how porsche is run from a holding company level that looks across all VW brands and seeing some some odd indications like the fact that porsche got a few RSs into mainland china for direct sale from their dealers (this is a pure money play) very late (now) I agree with Trojan that we will see a lot of .2 GT3 so just be patient. Let's just hope if they do manual they don't require wing delete to get it.
If the manual only comes in a wingless car, I may have second thoughts buying it. I'm just a wing type of guy.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:37 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I disagree. More than likely, the .2GT3 will be the last of the NA Porsche's. Buyers will be scrambling to get their hands on one to keep. I am sorry I sold my .1GT3 after a 1 1/2 years of ownership. MY .24S Targa doesn't compare for passion, rawness and the sense of occasion when driving it.

That said, paying a premium is not something I would do. My relationship with the dealer is the premium I paid for early allocations of GT models.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:17 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

I doubt the .2 GT3 will be the last NA motor.. Logic would indicate that if any car is to have the last NA porsche motor, it would likely be badged an RS.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt the .2 GT3 will be the last NA motor.. Logic would indicate that if any car is to have the last NA porsche motor, it would likely be badged an RS.
....or a special limited edition numbered GT type car, something like the 4.0
Old 02-06-2017, 04:25 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

^^^ I would guess you are half correct. 1.2 GT3 will not be the last NA big P. I predict a Club Sport or some other special named/badged car (RSR?). At least I hope so, b/c I'm saving my pennies for this car.

Cheers/B

Quick Reply: Allocation Premium