Sponsored by:

Allocation Premium

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^there is an easier solution.. Have the dealers sell at only MSRP, which would be their fixed price. It works...
Edit: In the US or course..
How does that work if the market clearing price is above MSRP, the supply is constrained and dealers dole out the cars to VIPs first? That's exactly what leads to flipping, which then leads to market euphoria and lots of cars sitting out there on the secondary market unsold because everyone wants to make a killing.

If you want these cars in hands of people that will drive them, you need to charge a price that does not allow for a quick return to be made on a flip. As long as that exists, you will have the situation we have now.

The only way your approach works is if the cars are available to everyone equally, which we know will never be the case.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:54 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
How does that work if the market clearing price is above MSRP, the supply is constrained and dealers dole out the cars to VIPs first? That's exactly what leads to flipping, which then leads to market euphoria and lots of cars sitting out there on the secondary market unsold because everyone wants to make a killing.

If you want these cars in hands of people that will drive them, you need to charge a price that does not allow for a quick return to be made on a flip. As long as that exists, you will have the situation we have now.

The only way your approach works is if the cars are available to everyone equally, which we know will never be the case.
It works for an entire country north of you.. Perhaps it's because of the situation in parts of your country .. Where I live, they sell at MSRP .. fixed price for GT cars. If selling a used vehicle, some try and set price at MSRP or higher. MSRP cars with low mileage sell quickly. The owners who got caught up in this +MSRP craze in the US are sitting on their cars. I don't know anyone willing to buy those cars at a markup. So speculators, flippers are being burned here.
I don't think anyone was left out of the 991.1 GT3/RS or GT4 market here, unless they chose not to purchase or were really late to the table. But I would bet $ those are far and few..

Go Canada!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

It works for an entire country north of you.. Perhaps it's because of the situation in parts of your country .. Where I live, they sell at MSRP .. fixed price for GT cars. If selling a used vehicle, some try and set price at MSRP or higher. MSRP cars with low mileage sell quickly. The owners who got caught up in this +MSRP craze in the US are sitting on their cars. I don't know anyone willing to buy those cars at a markup. So speculators, flippers are being burned here.
I don't think anyone was left out of the 991.1 GT3/RS or GT4 market here, unless they chose not to purchase or were really late to the table. But I would bet $ those are far and few..

Go Canada!
What do you mean, 'it works' in Canada. It 'works' there because it's the law. And it doesn't stopping flipping secondary market flipping there either, just the economy doesn't allow the same price pressure. The U.S. is a different market, with way more buy side pressure.

And in other parts of the U.S., if they were selling GT3s and RS's entirely at MSRP, I can guarantee you that some of those cars were being flipped. The dealer premium and flipping issue isn't constrained to California. Look at the cars for sale all over the U.S. It's everywhere. It's not a California thing. It's a market thing. Demand > Supply, price pressure is upward. MSRP selling just puts a lot of that premium in the flippers' pockets instead of Porsche AG or the dealer network. Dynamic pricing coupled with ample supply would eliminate it immediately.

And plenty of cars got sold in the U.S. at markup. Lots.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

What do you mean, 'it works' in Canada. It 'works' there because it's the law. And it doesn't stopping flipping secondary market flipping there either, just the economy doesn't allow the same price pressure. The U.S. is a different market, with way more buy side pressure.

And in other parts of the U.S., if they were selling GT3s and RS's entirely at MSRP, I can guarantee you that some of those cars were being flipped. The dealer premium and flipping issue isn't constrained to California. Look at the cars for sale all over the U.S. It's everywhere. It's not a California thing. It's a market thing. Demand > Supply, price pressure is upward. MSRP selling just puts a lot of that premium in the flippers' pockets instead of Porsche AG or the dealer network. Dynamic pricing coupled with ample supply would eliminate it immediately.

And plenty of cars got sold in the U.S. at markup. Lots.
What a used car sells for is irrelevant... They are used...
The point is that dealers here sell @ MSRP. A FIXED PRICE. Period. No need to complicate things.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^there is an easier solution.. Have the dealers sell at only MSRP, which would be their fixed price. It works...
It sure does.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Why doesn't Porsche have this problem with the street Carrera's? They aren't lining up to buy those. Sitting on lots now.

This is a very deliberate strategy on Porsche's part. If blaming anyone, blame them. They can make as many as they want. They choose not to. Dealers only behave according to the market as do private sellers of their own cars.

Many people complaining about mark ups would be complaining if their car depreciated $20K the first year and another $15K year number two.

Start a petition and start writing letters to PAG and PCNA and tell them to ramp up production rather than have 1,000 pricing threads on RL that do ZERO and accomplish nothing other than make PAG feel like they're doing a great job with the master plan. They truly have he last laugh.

Not to mention!! The GT car allocations are used as dog treats to dealers for good behavior. PAG needs something to dangle over them to get them to do what they want. It's a deliberate plan guys! Dog does trick, dog gets treat. No treat? Dog lies down and just growls.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
don't worry
friend at DC will cause the second great depression. dealers will beg u to suck ***** and sell them at invoice

that's my story
Mooty tells it like it is
Old 02-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

What a used car sells for is irrelevant... They are used...
The point is that dealers here sell @ MSRP. A FIXED PRICE. Period. No need to complicate things.
Go back and read my posts. I'm talking about flipping, i.e., a buyer who purchases a new car at MSRP solely with the intention of reselling the car at a premium as a used car. By selling a car new at MSRP, when the market price is higher, attracts flippers and makes the market less efficient. I believe that eliminating MSRP entirely and going to dynamic pricing would eliminate the flipper resale element and make the market much more efficient, providing Porsche produces enough cars. In that situation, pricing would be determined based on true user demand and cars would be allocated to buyers much more efficiently. The current system just encourages flipping. There is no need for an MSRP on the GT cars.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 PM
chicos
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It wasn't long ago that even 997 GT3 RS were depreciating and air cooled Porsche's were a relative bargain. Some people were speculating Porsche wasn't going to sell out the 918, anyone could have walked in and bought one off the street.

Fast forward a few years and the 2023 GT3, GT4 and GT2 probably have wait lists already. It's getting harder and harder to get into the GT game, unless you want to pay a premium.

Last edited by chicos; 02-02-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 535 Posts

Delete
Old 02-03-2017, 04:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Would any of you guys (including me) who own an RS take MSRP for it from a non friend or relative?
Most of us would want market price for it.

Why is a dealer any different? He owns the car and is in the business to make money.

You can choose whether you pay it or not. Manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price is just that.
yes
it's dealers' car they can ask what they want
it's your money you can decide how to burn it.
but karma is a bitch. it will come back....

they will just eliminate MSRP.

it's a messy game
but we all like to play it some
Old 02-03-2017, 08:01 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Go back and read my posts. I'm talking about flipping, i.e., a buyer who purchases a new car at MSRP solely with the intention of reselling the car at a premium as a used car. By selling a car new at MSRP, when the market price is higher, attracts flippers and makes the market less efficient. I believe that eliminating MSRP entirely and going to dynamic pricing would eliminate the flipper resale element and make the market much more efficient, providing Porsche produces enough cars. In that situation, pricing would be determined based on true user demand and cars would be allocated to buyers much more efficiently. The current system just encourages flipping. There is no need for an MSRP on the GT cars.
You're right. I hope you get your wish and pay Market value for all your cars. I will pay MSRP.

Happy Friday!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:06 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
yes

they will just eliminate MSRP.

it's a messy game
but we all like to play it some
I honestly don't think that it's right.. Considering some of the stables you gents & ladies have.. Although it won't impact me, I feel for the enthusiasts who are left stranded playing these games.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

I honestly don't think that it's right.. Considering some of the stables you gents & ladies have.. Although it won't impact me, I feel for the enthusiasts who are left stranded playing these games.
Agree^

It's a dangerous game to play by the dealers. Within a couple of years we might have 5-7% interest rates and not so good times. Dealer that treated me well when times are good will keep earning my business.
Like Monty said

Karma is a bitch.

I would be extremely offended if someone asked me to buy a panamera when I came in to buy a gt3. That dealer would end up on Trojans list. 😂
Old 02-03-2017, 10:03 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will pay MSRP.
Happy Friday!
...or even sometimes, LESS.

Quick Reply: Allocation Premium