Sponsored by:

Allocation Premium

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I think I will show myself out of this thread.

Me too! Started at the very bottom of this thread, and somehow got sucked in!
Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Yeah, I took the bait.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Dealers do not set the Prmiums. Us idoot Consumers help set it for them. If no one would pay mark-ups they would not exist. Lets wait and see the specs and reviews before we get too excited. It has to be really good enough for me to trade my GT4, which I love.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Porschmich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimmy-D has it right. Just don't pay the mark up. How many cars would the
flippers buy if they could not make a profit? All the cars that have 100 miles with
the excuse of I have no room for the car etc. etc. At least come out and say I only
bought the car to make money. They would all still have them and would not do it again this round if we did not pay the mark up. So if you paid over you are part of the problem.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Try and get a couple thousand GT3 buyers to all agree and not pay over MSRP. You can't even get guys here to agree on a car color or transmission.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:28 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 232 Posts

Paid MSRP for my gt4. Do not plan on paying more than MSRP for .2 GT3. Paid slightly over for the GT3 RS but was not happy about it
Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 PM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

I have never chimed in on one of these (MSRP and markup discussions), but I feel compelled to tell my story, and draw some conclusions based on mostly fact and some opinion. This also supports my new year’s resolution to try to post more and add value to the group, this one only meets the post more side, as there is no new info here.

1) I have purchased 4 GT cars in the last 6 years, not a lot by this board’s standard, but more than one or two. (fact)
2) I have paid exactly MSRP for all of them from the two dealers I have worked with. (fact)
3) I was never asked to pay over MSRP, and it was never raised. They never tried to convince me that I was getting a break or a good deal.(fact)
4) One fell in the PTS window, I took the place of a person who had to pass, it really wasn’t my car, I was Johnny come lately, when they called me, they did not ask for an extra dime. (fact)
5) I know several individuals who have purchased GT cars from these individuals, zero of them paid under or over MSRP, all of them paid exactly MSRP.(fact)
6) Right now I am in good shape for a GT2 RS, provided in does not have a numbered plate, then, like the 911 R, 997 4.0, etc., etc., Under that scenario, probably dead in the water. (Opinion)
7) This time (GT2 RS) the dealer did not even take the deposit, I filled out the paperwork and he said, “don’t worry about it”.(fact)

Conclusion, and I have by best and thickest flame suit on, my opinion is that many Porsche dealers have character, and have the same business approach many of us have with our own businesses, or would have as it pertains to the customers (Same as I am sure CJ will have). Some are opportunist of the worst kind, as such, there is no way to predict how far they might go. (example: PTS Turbo Cab that’s for sale in the $300’s posted on this board). To paint them with the same brush is not reality. Those with character and customer values are predictable, the opportunist behaviors are not predictable, and never will be.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:21 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I try and keep it simple. Whether you pay under, over or at MSRP, do so and don't worry about what anyone else is doing. Take care of your own house b/c nobody else will.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:43 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

^^^ Bingo, I think people see value differently. One may pay MSRP, and wait because time is not an element. Next guy my pay over suggested retail price to have it now because time has move value than the dollars. The two tatics are neither wrong or right, and I have learned in business never but your purchasing values in another mans wallet. I'm sure many on this board buying a RS is 10% of their income anually, and if they pay a premium I'm sure they will recoup that in some other business deal and call it the price of doing business.

I hope all get the car they want, but really care less if someone paid more or less than suggested retail ......... you have to feel good about your deal. If the dealer offered us all cars at -20k not sure there would be a position the dealer is under charging the customers?? The market will be set by the consumers, and the consumers have shown open wallets for now which could change hell who knows.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:49 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I think it would be better if they just did away with MSRP on these types of cars. Have Porsche just charge the dealers a consistent invoice price for the base car and each option and then let each dealer set the price at whatever they want for their given market. Let the market determine the market clearing price, just like it does in the secondary market. Eliminates the flippers, gets the cars to the people who value them the most and, theoretically at least, gets the dealers the best price possible on each car.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:55 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I think it would be better if they just did away with MSRP on these types of cars. Have Porsche just charge the dealers a consistent invoice price for the base car and each option and then let each dealer set the price at whatever they want for their given market. Let the market determine the market clearing price, just like it does in the secondary market. Eliminates the flippers, gets the cars to the people who value them the most and, theoretically at least, gets the dealers the best price possible on each car.
Problem with that is that people in CA will end up paying more for their cars than people in the midwest because there's too much stupid money in CA. How about do what dealers in Canada do and only be able to sell at MSRP? If the buyer doesn't sell the car back to the dealer within a certain time then they get blackballed from future GT car purchases for flipping.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:57 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by indianam3
I have never chimed in on one of these (MSRP and markup discussions), but I feel compelled to tell my story, and draw some conclusions based on mostly fact and some opinion. This also supports my new year’s resolution to try to post more and add value to the group, this one only meets the post more side, as there is no new info here.

1) I have purchased 4 GT cars in the last 6 years, not a lot by this board’s standard, but more than one or two. (fact)
2) I have paid exactly MSRP for all of them from the two dealers I have worked with. (fact)
3) I was never asked to pay over MSRP, and it was never raised. They never tried to convince me that I was getting a break or a good deal.(fact)
4) One fell in the PTS window, I took the place of a person who had to pass, it really wasn’t my car, I was Johnny come lately, when they called me, they did not ask for an extra dime. (fact)
5) I know several individuals who have purchased GT cars from these individuals, zero of them paid under or over MSRP, all of them paid exactly MSRP.(fact)
6) Right now I am in good shape for a GT2 RS, provided in does not have a numbered plate, then, like the 911 R, 997 4.0, etc., etc., Under that scenario, probably dead in the water. (Opinion)
7) This time (GT2 RS) the dealer did not even take the deposit, I filled out the paperwork and he said, “don’t worry about it”.(fact)

Conclusion, and I have by best and thickest flame suit on, my opinion is that many Porsche dealers have character, and have the same business approach many of us have with our own businesses, or would have as it pertains to the customers (Same as I am sure CJ will have). Some are opportunist of the worst kind, as such, there is no way to predict how far they might go. (example: PTS Turbo Cab that’s for sale in the $300’s posted on this board). To paint them with the same brush is not reality. Those with character and customer values are predictable, the opportunist behaviors are not predictable, and never will be.
You are lucky that you don't live on the west coast. I've tried to establish relationships with 3 dealers and they basically told me to beat it. Too many vampire dealers here in CA.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:52 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
^^^ Bingo, I think people see value differently. One may pay MSRP, and wait because time is not an element. Next guy my pay over suggested retail price to have it now because time has move value than the dollars. The two tatics are neither wrong or right, and I have learned in business never but your purchasing values in another mans wallet. I'm sure many on this board buying a RS is 10% of their income anually, and if they pay a premium I'm sure they will recoup that in some other business deal and call it the price of doing business.

I hope all get the car they want, but really care less if someone paid more or less than suggested retail ......... you have to feel good about your deal. If the dealer offered us all cars at -20k not sure there would be a position the dealer is under charging the customers?? The market will be set by the consumers, and the consumers have shown open wallets for now which could change hell who knows.
The problem are those that buy as investment. Paying over and then coming on here to "protect" their investment. My car is so unique, production numbers are very low, they won't make any anymore, etc,etc. That gets boring. Once the market correct itself all of those will be gone. Porsche GT cars are not interesting anymore.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:57 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
The problem are those that buy as investment. Paying over and then coming on here to "protect" their investment. My car is so unique, production numbers are very low, they won't make any anymore, etc,etc. That gets boring. Once the market correct itself all of those will be gone. Porsche GT cars are not interesting anymore.
I hope that investors/speculators/flippers move on to something else like real estate or stocks. Leave the cars for us folks who will drive and track them.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by indianam3
I agree there are some good reputable dealers who want to build long term relationships with their customers, but even the good ones are under pressure as they see other dealers making large profits through mark ups and they feel they are leaving money on the table - something most businesses in any industry would not do. the market is changing and the dealerships need to react. I would rather see Porsche raise their prices to market value and at least have a consistent price rather than playing the dealer lottery every time an allocation is available - my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Allocation Premium