Sponsored by:

Allocation Premium

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:46 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
If people refuse to pay the premiums the dealers will sit on their cars. Just like they are doing with the 991rs at the moment.

Some dealers still asking $75k over for a 991rs. Makes for a beautiful bit of interior design in the showroom.
Exactly! It still floors me that individuals who can afford this car,willingly pay over MSRP.. That to me is a swift kick to the nuts..
Thank goodness I'm north of the border where P dealers aren't allowed to do behave in this manner.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
don't worry
friend at DC will cause the second great depression. dealers will beg u to suck ***** and sell them at invoice

that's my story
Well, he's definitely going to try to drive the market lower as soon as he can, which is a smart move politically and economically. I'm hoping it's second half of the year, right after he defunds Obamacare and removes the cap gains kicker tax. (And I'm pro-Obamacare, just not the way we're funding it.)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I think I will show myself out of this thread.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:55 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 540 Posts

when the 991.1 got released , one dealer asked for 30 k above so I said just forget it and did not shop around
a year later I got a 2015 at list
Old 02-01-2017, 12:56 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
This will be a whole new soap opera. Allocations should be tighter and premiums will surpass 991.1's by FAR. Porsche has tightened up all dealer allocations. They will milk this one out as much as they can. Dealers and PCNA.

Off the bat? Expect $25-$40K. Will settle into the high teens to $20K year # 2

Manual?? Yikes. Will be even higher.
It was my understanding from my dealer that PCA will increase supply and raise prices - they do not profit from the dealer markups?
Old 02-01-2017, 01:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
It was my understanding from my dealer that PCA will increase supply and raise prices - they do not profit from the dealer markups?

The mark ups are "gifts" and "perks" for the dealers.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I think I will show myself out of this thread.

Me too. It's all downhill from here!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:36 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I can't imagine $40k over sticker, as you're bumping up against the low end of the RS's out there and a low mileage .1 GT3 starts to look like a huge bargain. I think a base price of $155k, all in with premium, is as high as the GT3 will go, with the rare exception being the poor slob who gets taken by a dealer.
This makes sense to me and I hope it's right. I do think the .1 is going to be a bargain. At some price level on the .2, I'll just bail out and get a .1 with LWB and go from there. Serious first world problems here as I'm "stuck" with my 2014 with 18-ways. . . .
Old 02-01-2017, 05:24 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

GT4 is not comparable because it was really priced too low, so the premiums dealers were getting really just brought the price back into the true market range.

IMO, premiums on this car will depend on how Porsche prices it. If they just do a normal increase consistent with the rest of the .2 range (say into the low $140s), I can see the initial allocations getting GT4-esque $10-20k premiums initially. However, if they increase the base price into the $150k+ category, I don't see much room for premiums. I can't see people paying $165-175k base for a GT3. There's always another car and there's always someone who will want/have to sell their new GT3 six months after they bought it. Patience will be rewarded. At least that's what I'm telling myself to keep me interested in Porsche, because none of the normal model range hold any interest to me anymore.
^^^ This; Agree 100%
Old 02-01-2017, 06:03 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Porsche dealers routinely selling new cars over MSRP is poor business practice IMO.
Definite turnoff to the brand. Porsche should intervene.
I'd feel better if they increase MSRP, build enough cars to meet demand and disallow dealers from ****ing with new car pricing.
But if people with more money than brains continue to pay absurd dealer markups then I'm afraid this nonsense will continue.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:06 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Porsche dealers routinely selling new cars over MSRP is poor business practice IMO.
Definite turnoff to the brand. Porsche should intervene.
I'd feel better if they increase MSRP, build enough cars to meet demand and disallow dealers from ****ing with new car pricing.
But if people with more money than brains continue to pay absurd dealer markups then I'm afraid this nonsense will continue.
Why is it absurd to pay the dealer mark-up, but perfectly fine to pay over $500K for a used R? The dealer mark-up is no different than the used cars that routinely go above MSRP. It's just a matter of who gets the money - the dealer or the flipper. I'd rather pay the premium on a new car that I configure rather than a flipped car that I didn't spec and don't get to break in myself.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:19 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,814 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I'll bet anyone $10k that Porsche will build MORE .2GT3s than they built .1GT3s in a 2 year run versus 3 year run.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:19 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

GT4 is not comparable because it was really priced too low, so the premiums dealers were getting really just brought the price back into the true market range.

IMO, premiums on this car will depend on how Porsche prices it. If they just do a normal increase consistent with the rest of the .2 range (say into the low $140s), I can see the initial allocations getting GT4-esque $10-20k premiums initially. However, if they increase the base price into the $150k+ category, I don't see much room for premiums. I can't see people paying $165-175k base for a GT3. I reallllly want a .2 GT3, but that's where it gets stupid to me. There's always another car and there's always someone who will want/have to sell their new GT3 six months after they bought it. Patience will be rewarded. At least that's what I'm telling myself to keep me interested in Porsche, because none of the normal model range hold any interest to me anymore.
Agree.

Also, a lot of GT4's sold at MSRP.

Originally Posted by tstafford
Interested in the mark-up not advice that I shouldn't pay the mark-up. I know many people have a visceral reaction to the mark-up. I've come to accept it as part of Porsche 2017.
Originally Posted by tstafford
Why is it absurd to pay the dealer mark-up, but perfectly fine to pay over $500K for a used R? The dealer mark-up is no different than the used cars that routinely go above MSRP. It's just a matter of who gets the money - the dealer or the flipper. I'd rather pay the premium on a new car that I configure rather than a flipped car that I didn't spec and don't get to break in myself.
That didn't last long...
Old 02-01-2017, 06:21 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Can't disagree with your logic <tstafford> but it's rather unconventional in the auto industry to permit dealers from routinely setting prices. Price discovery normally occurs in the second-hand market.
Guess the issue starts with Porsche restricting supply? I don't know... don't have all the answers, just know that it rubs me the wrong way.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:23 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by BryanCO

That didn't last long...
Yeah, I took the bait.

Quick Reply: Allocation Premium