Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else want to join 58 GT Cars in the Mountains? :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:41 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I will be first from West Coast to come if a couple of others join.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:04 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
We need a west coast event like this! Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, COLORADO - oh the roads!!
Fixed for you!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I will personally drive my RS to the West if you guys get this rolling!

We've been talking about doing a West version of this. If someone wants to take the lead we can provide all the tech infrastructure, private forums, etc. Would LOVE to get that going!

And in the mean time... ship your car to Atlanta for Spring 2017!
I'll come too.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Great idea, I'll work with Sean on how they organized it and see what we can do to get something together for the west coast..
Oh yeah, a west coast event would be awesome. I can see some of us East coasters making the pilgrimage!

Ryan
Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

If any one is on the fence just do it. I PROMISE you will not regret it. This will be my 5th Smokies event in 3 years and it is not a short drive from Wisconsin. I have met some lifelong friends and the events are a blast. I never thought I would find a car event my wife would love. She has ZERO interest in cars but she enjoys the events as much if not more than me. She is even learning some PTS colors but she still hates Ruby Star. You can't win them all. LOL
Old 01-25-2017, 10:26 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I will personally drive my RS to the West if you guys get this rolling!

We've been talking about doing a West version of this. If someone wants to take the lead we can provide all the tech infrastructure, private forums, etc. Would LOVE to get that going!

And in the mean time... ship your car to Atlanta for Spring 2017!
Count me in. I'll be there.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm of course in as well. With so many of my friends who will be there, and new ones to make! Unmissable!

Last edited by Haku; 01-25-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Great idea, I'll work with Sean on how they organized it and see what we can do to get something together for the west coast..
Agree this would be a great idea. Something in Central California would make the most sense for the best roads and being centrally located to the most GT drivers in the West.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:47 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
If any one is on the fence just do it. I PROMISE you will not regret it. This will be my 5th Smokies event in 3 years and it is not a short drive from Wisconsin. I have met some lifelong friends and the events are a blast. I never thought I would find a car event my wife would love. She has ZERO interest in cars but she enjoys the events as much if not more than me. She is even learning some PTS colors but she still hates Ruby Star. You can't win them all. LOL
Thanks for sharing your experience. My wife is also not a car person, but I reluctantly talked her into it. She is willing to try, so hopefully she will walk away with a positive experience.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:08 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
I will be first from West Coast to come if a couple of others join.
How can you be first, if you are waiting for a couple others to join In all seriousness, we would absolutely LOVE for a few west coasters to get their cars on a truck and get out here for it. It would allow you to see how we run the event and get a head start on planning the West Cost version of this event. Plus, the roads are incredible!

Sean
Old 01-26-2017, 12:43 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Central location is important for participation, but one thing to consider is not just having "nice roads", but having the best ones. If you aren't familiar with this mountain range and the Tail of the Dragon... this is one of the most renowned roads in the country. 318 curves (!!!) over 11 miles and no intersecting roads to slow you down or add to the danger. It's legendary. If we went west, we need to have some "legendary roads" for sure. I know I've seen plenty of amazing pictures and videos on the west coast (or mountain region) so they do exist. Also helps to be able to make a donation to local LEO force... much of the local economy surrounding the Tail relies on all the drivers going up there. So while reckless driving is never condoned, a few miles over the limit with screaming exhausts is typically something where they look the other way. Not trying to push everyone away.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robmypro
Fixed for you!
How could I forget! Hope the engines wouldn't suck too badly at 7,000ft plus! Pike's Peak would be an epic picture op.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Bartron
Racer

Awesome!!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Bartron
Racer

Originally Posted by tonymission
Central location is important for participation, but one thing to consider is not just having "nice roads", but having the best ones. If you aren't familiar with this mountain range and the Tail of the Dragon... this is one of the most renowned roads in the country. 318 curves (!!!) over 11 miles and no intersecting roads to slow you down or add to the danger. It's legendary. If we went west, we need to have some "legendary roads" for sure. I know I've seen plenty of amazing pictures and videos on the west coast (or mountain region) so they do exist. Also helps to be able to make a donation to local LEO force... much of the local economy surrounding the Tail relies on all the drivers going up there. So while reckless driving is never condoned, a few miles over the limit with screaming exhausts is typically something where they look the other way. Not trying to push everyone away.
I've been on the Tail on two wheels before. It's a definite must do but I enjoyed the Cherahola much more. The Dragon can be hit or miss depending on how many users there are. Users vary as you can see if you check out any of the Tail of the Dragon photographer sites. Between the stunters, 'wanna-be MotoGP', entitled slow pokes and the 'illegal' big rigs that can't navigate the corners crossing both lanes it can be a tricky spot. I'm curious how you guys avoided some of these issues.

The west definitely has some fantastic roads and with lower population density and so many mountain byways it can be interesting as long as you avoid the forest rats (deer).

You guys have a super cool event going on in the Smokies and I wish I could someday attend. For the time being I live vicariously through your posts and instagram account and hope we get something organized on the west coast. Thanks to those enthusiastic about getting something going.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

How can we tempt you west coasters to participate in this years Spring Event???

Quick Reply: Anyone else want to join 58 GT Cars in the Mountains? :-)