Sponsored by:

Front Lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:19 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Don't get the debate here sometimes. Some call it a waste, and if that's the case don't buy it. I couldnt get me car out of my driveway if I didn't have a lift, and I would be reduced to where I can drive my car in my city. My house sits on a hill, and has a basement.
Imagine a world where money was scarce and we couldn't afford everything we wanted. I live in that world. $3,500 + tax is actually a lot of money for me. It becomes a complete waste of money if I never use it. The ONLY time I can envision using it is on my driveway, which I won't know if I need it until I own the car - circular reference in Excel

Furthermore, many have stated that even with the lift, they still scrape because the lift amount is such a marginal amount.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:24 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
i do believe this has officially become another "lift" thread. albeit unintentionally. ;-)

OK, let's discuss something that I haven't yet seen discussed.

1. Is PCCB worth the money?
2. Will the 991.2 GT3 be NA?
3. How much is my GT3 worth?

Old 12-15-2016, 07:28 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Imagine a world where money was scarce and we couldn't afford everything we wanted. I live in that world. $3,500 + tax is actually a lot of money for me. It becomes a complete waste of money if I never use it. The ONLY time I can envision using it is on my driveway, which I won't know if I need it until I own the car - circular reference in Excel

Furthermore, many have stated that even with the lift, they still scrape because the lift amount is such a marginal amount.
I hear you clearly and you're asking for input. My point is where some say it's a total waste, and that depends on where you live and drive. The answers you're receiving is relative to where people live, and if I didn't need it I would have never purchased.

It has worked for me, and I purchased again with my RS. By the way I have never scraped .......again it's needed for where I live so I had no choice. If you read all threads in the last two years on this it's about 50/50. Good luck all depends on needs .........
Old 12-15-2016, 08:38 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

I live in a major city and could not survive without a lift system.
I am not trying to be a ***** here, but if $3500 is alot, this type of car may not be affordable.
Ie: Consumables on these cars are quite expensive and one must be prepared for the inevitable.. -Poop breaks or wears out!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:07 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I hear you clearly and you're asking for input. My point is where some say it's a total waste, and that depends on where you live and drive. The answers you're receiving is relative to where people live, and if I didn't need it I would have never purchased.

It has worked for me, and I purchased again with my RS. By the way I have never scraped .......again it's needed for where I live so I had no choice. If you read all threads in the last two years on this it's about 50/50. Good luck all depends on needs .........
Agreed - My point is I don't know my need until I actually have the car. That is why I was trying to see if I could extrapolate a scenario based on my current 997.2 Carrera SPASM which doesn't scrape currently. Or to see if other people require it in OC where many driveways are steep because they build homes on top of each other and in elevation.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:12 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RealityGT
I live in a major city and could not survive without a lift system.
I am not trying to be a ***** here, but if $3500 is alot, this type of car may not be affordable.
Ie: Consumables on these cars are quite expensive and one must be prepared for the inevitable.. -Poop breaks or wears out!
You're not being a *****, but let's be clear. If someone can afford $150K on any item, someone can afford $154K on the same item. So, clearly, affordability is not the real issue. Nor is the weight. Nor is resale. Nor is the likelihood that additional electronic components are subject to wear.

The real issue, for me, is I don't like waste. I don't like purchasing anything that doesn't have value or use for me.

I think the right answer is to just check the box and if I need it, I'm covered. If I don't need it, oh well.

Thanks everyone for your input! I promise not to ask what is the BEST color on the GT3.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27

Thanks everyone for your input! I promise not to ask what is the BEST color on the GT3.
It doesn't matter what the best color is as long as it's PTS.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:06 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

The next guy may really want the lift and pass on a car without one. I scraped an '11 Turbo that had the painted front valence and really wished I had had the lift after it had to be repaired. I don't think Porsche would have spent the development $$ if they did not think there was a need and viable market for the lift.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Is it really an issue if it does scrape a little? My understanding is that the front (stock unpainted) lip is designed to be a wear item and is fairly easily and affordably replaced. I think the break-even point is quite a few front lips (nearly 20) before you reach the option price for the lift and even if you do buy the option, the lip is likely going to unexpectedly scrape occasionally anyway...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991GT3LIP.html
Old 12-15-2016, 03:31 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

op - if you don't like waste please also don't waste bandwidth

get the lift... thank us later
Old 12-15-2016, 04:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Is it really an issue if it does scrape a little? My understanding is that the front (stock unpainted) lip is designed to be a wear item and is fairly easily and affordably replaced. I think the break-even point is quite a few front lips (nearly 20) before you reach the option price for the lift and even if you do buy the option, the lip is likely going to unexpectedly scrape occasionally anyway...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991GT3LIP.html
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
op - if you don't like waste please also don't waste bandwidth

get the lift... thank us later
why is this topic so compelling? it's almost comical (all of us are, not saying about any individual) how we talk round and round and round.. and round the issue. it's like a poliitcal conversation.. we talk completely past each other without any memory or consideration for what's been already said. the man from SF talks about the hills, the man from florida talks about the flats, another one does the cost consideration on replaceable lips, another chimes in and says it's not about scraping, it's about times when you simply can't access an area without the lift... it's addicting.. reminds me of....

there must be a secret perverse pleasure we experience whenever this thread comes up each year.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:16 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

It doesn't matter what the best color is as long as it's PTS.
Nailed it...
Old 12-15-2016, 06:21 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

It's my fault - I thought I explained what I was trying to accomplish and why. I should have just kept it to myself and find a local OC person to test it out.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

why is this topic so compelling? it's almost comical (all of us are, not saying about any individual) how we talk round and round and round.. and round the issue. it's like a poliitcal conversation.. we talk completely past each other without any memory or consideration for what's been already said. the man from SF talks about the hills, the man from florida talks about the flats, another one does the cost consideration on replaceable lips, another chimes in and says it's not about scraping, it's about times when you simply can't access an area without the lift...
Sorry if I added to the absurdity. Just coming from a GT4 where lift was not an option and Porsche spared us from this dilemma
Old 12-15-2016, 09:12 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

I've also said, less options and less choice is a good thing. At least for neurotic people like myself.

Quick Reply: Front Lift