Sponsored by:

Front Lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:22 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Front Lift

I know the pros and cons have been discussed many times. My question is: is there a method to determine if I will scrape each time I drive into my driveway and garage.

I currently have a 2009 997.2 Carrera S with SPASM (so it's half an inch lower) than just PASM. I do not scrape the front either driving in our out of the garage/driveway. Can I extrapolate how much lower and further out the lip is on a 991 GT3 VS my current Carrera?

My driveway is the only area where I would potentially scrape. Therefore, spending $3,500+ on an option that I would potentially never use (assuming it does not scrape on my driveway) is a big deal to me.

I understand the easy answer is just get it and more likely I will be safe.

Easiest way is to find someone who lives in southern OC to drive over and test it for 1 minute, right before the lip scratches.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2016, 05:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I remember some pretty extensive drawings were posted on this forum two years ago showing departure and approach angles.. would be hellish hard to find them though. My personal experience was that no amount of calculation helped me, and one friend coming over with his car showed me how impossible my approach was (more of a high centering problem with a lateral sloping driveway).. so, find a nice friend here on Rennlist and have them come over.

If you DO have a steepness/approach issue though, it can be relatively easily solved with the Miriad of rubber ramps available online.

Good luck with the project.. that front lift definitely helps to some extent though.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I am in the camp of don't get one. You will scrape if not in your driveway it will be elsewhere even if you have a lifter.

That said, when I was selling my GT3 the first question was invariably does it have a lifter? Despite my arguments as to why it was not needed, I lost a few potential buyers because the lack of a lifter.

I will be ordering the .2GT3 this summer or fall and I will include a lifter.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:31 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Only way is to have someone with a GT3 test your driveway, I have the lift and wouldn't buy one without it. I have a Bendpak HD9 car lift with the 48" ramps and without front lift it scrapes (don't ask me how I know...)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I am in the camp of don't get one. You will scrape if not in your driveway it will be elsewhere even if you have a lifter.

That said, when I was selling my GT3 the first question was invariably does it have a lifter? Despite my arguments as to why it was not needed, I lost a few potential buyers because the lack of a lifter.

I will be ordering the .2GT3 this summer or fall and I will include a lifter.
Nick- if I recall you got rid of your last GT3 because you never had time to drive her- you going to drive this one?
Old 12-11-2016, 07:33 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with 991GT3 is it sits low AND long front overhang.

The places that you think you might drive in you definitely won't.

Driving day to day is a different story and I don't care if I scratch the lip or not. Its a cheap replacement but without the lift I would be very limited where it comes to places I can access, park and even entering some roads with speed curbs.

I would say get one.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

To test this I built a wood simulator made of three pieces. See amazing drawing below.

Made sure I got the right height from ground to lip in front and the equivalent in the rear and the proper distance between the wheels.

Warning: You look like an idiot when you do the test drive

If you try this, please post picts

Old 12-11-2016, 11:10 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

Kobalt, now you've got me curious! Just to confirm everyone, isn't the rear slightly taller on a GT3RS, therefore the overall angle would be slightly different on GT3 vs GT3RS.

If the front lift was like 2", then this would be a much easier decision, as I have read that some people with the lift still scrape at times. That must be frustrating.

Anyone in OC?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by mass27
Kobalt, now you've got me curious! Just to confirm everyone, isn't the rear slightly taller on a GT3RS, therefore the overall angle would be slightly different on GT3 vs GT3RS. If the front lift was like 2", then this would be a much easier decision, as I have read that some people with the lift still scrape at times. That must be frustrating. Anyone in OC?
RS has a different rake so angle would be different. The ride height might also be different.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Nick- if I recall you got rid of your last GT3 because you never had time to drive her- you going to drive this one?
Good question!

I think this time I will give it a fair chance. What I really want is the .2GT3RS but doubt they will build it. I'll buy the .2GT3 and turn it in if they build the RS version. I turned down an allocation for an RS after I sold my GT3 in February. At the time, it was common knowledge that a .2GT3 will be produced.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:05 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Has it occurred to others that it could be cheaper to have your driveway apron torn up and re-poured in new concrete with a shallower grade?

Having said that, the front lift is a good option to have. I know my GT3 would scrape without it on my own driveway (and many other places like speed bumps and entrances into some retail parking lots, etc.). The lift has never caused me any problems and none of us are good enough drivers to feel whatever extra weight it adds.

FWIW, my GT4, which has no lift option but rides slightly higher than GT3 without lift engaged, scrapes on my driveway lightly unless i enter or exit very slowly and at an angle. Meanwhile, my prior 981 Boxster S on standard Suspension (not PASM) never scraped no matter what. Long story short, just because your old 997 doesn't scrape doesn't mean the 991 GT3 won't scrape. It probably will.

Lastly, this is more about how scraping it all the time makes you feel and potentially resale, not the relatively low cost of replacing a damaged GT3 front lip spoiler, which others have correctly pointed out can be considered disposable by comparison.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
My driveway is the only area where I would potentially scrape.
Think again. It's a big world out there. With lots of unexpected dips, bumps and what-nots.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:06 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lapis
Has it occurred to others that it could be cheaper to have your driveway apron torn up and re-poured in new concrete with a shallower grade?
The issue is not the driveway but the curb, and you can't alter it because it belongs to the municipality.

Some people use these even with lifts:

Old 12-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Slightly OT:

As a European I'm kind of curious why the driveways in US (Parts?) are so steep?
Old 12-12-2016, 08:19 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Slightly OT:

As a European I'm kind of curious why the driveways in US (Parts?) are so steep?
The driveway or the section toward the road? That last section is called street gutter and it's for rainwater flow. If you're talking only about the driveway it's because houses that feature basements are built at a higher elevation.

Quick Reply: Front Lift