Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017 | 03:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also think it will be a 4.0L, but I don't see the necessity to de-tune it (much, maybe 495 looks better?) in order to be slower than the current RS. There is plenty of precedent for a newer generation GT3 being faster than a previous generation RS. One guy I trust suggests that the 991.2 GT3 PDK-S will be faster than the 991.1 RS at the Ring - the more slippery aero suggests a higher top speed and possibly faster acceleration runs that include high speeds (i.e. 0-200kph). Not saying this will definitely happen, but no reason it can't...

I think there are only 5 seconds separating the official Porsche Ring times of the GT3 and RS (7:20 vs 7:25, despite RS's time being estimated due to speed limit, right?), so >5 sec improvement over the last GT3 gets us there (with more power, more torque, better aero, sticker tires, improved PDK, and better suspension than 991.1 GT3 this seems totally reasonable)...
Old 01-14-2017 | 03:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by GrantG
I also think it will be a 4.0L, but I don't see the necessity to de-tune it in order to be slower than the current RS. There is plenty of precedent for a newer generation GT3 being faster than a previous generation RS. One guy I trust suggests that the 991.2 GT3 PDK-S will be faster than the 991.1 RS at the Ring - the slipperier aero suggests a higher top speed and possibly faster acceleration runs that include high speeds (i.e. 0-200kph). Not saying this will definitely happen, but no reason it can't...

I think there are only 5 seconds separating the official Porsche Ring times of the GT3 and RS (7:20 vs 7:25, right?), so a 5 sec improvement over the last GT3 gets us there (with more power, more torque, better aero, sticker tires, and better suspension than 991.1 GT3 this seems totally reasonable)...
I agree that the 991.2 GT3 could be faster than the 991.1 RS, or very close. If they detune, it might be more for the marketing hp and torque numbers more than anything else. And I personally don't mind giving up some performance if that's traded for a big gain in reliability and durability (which would have added value if the car is offered with manual).
Old 01-14-2017 | 03:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:03 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Great to hear the 4.0L is winning races and doing well.

As to roll cage for U.S. cars do GMG, CMS, bbi, use proper support similar to the factory cages????
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Some of the VIP guys just came from a European driving event where they were given some info, one of them is my cleaning lady who I haven't hung out with in awhile so I've been devoid of any updated info. I'm now in South Africa for the week to do some driving days at Kyalami and got to reaffirm the answer which I posted a long time ago regarding GT3. It will have the race proven 4.0 from gt3R, which has already been matched happily to the manual and is ready to go. all this "don't upset the R customers is purely in the minds of some Rennlist guys". No answer on LWFW which is really the only big ??? We still have. Fingers crossed for that.
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:06 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I also think it will be a 4.0L, but I don't see the necessity to de-tune it (much, maybe 495 looks better?) in order to be slower than the current RS. There is plenty of precedent for a newer generation GT3 being faster than a previous generation RS. One guy I trust suggests that the 991.2 GT3 PDK-S will be faster than the 991.1 RS at the Ring - the more slippery aero suggests a higher top speed and possibly faster acceleration runs that include high speeds (i.e. 0-200kph). Not saying this will definitely happen, but no reason it can't...

I think there are only 5 seconds separating the official Porsche Ring times of the GT3 and RS (7:20 vs 7:25, despite RS's time being estimated due to speed limit, right?), so >5 sec improvement over the last GT3 gets us there (with more power, more torque, better aero, sticker tires, improved PDK, and better suspension than 991.1 GT3 this seems totally reasonable)...
True, but remember, RS Ring time was apparently in the wet and from what i remember reading should have been about 5 seconds better in better conditions. I would be surprised if .2GT3 is equal in aero ro RS. Will be heavier too. With MT definitely off the pace on track.
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:12 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Some of the VIP guys just came from a European driving event where they were given some info, one of them is my cleaning lady who I haven't hung out with in awhile so I've been devoid of any updated info. I'm now in South Africa for the week to do some driving days at Kyalami and got to reaffirm the answer which I posted a long time ago regarding GT3. It will have the race proven 4.0 from gt3R, which has already been matched happily to the manual and is ready to go. all this "don't upset the R customers is purely in the minds of some Rennlist guys". No answer on LWFW which is really the only big ??? We still have. Fingers crossed for that.
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:18 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Thank you. Any word on this wing delete business? I want my manual car with a wing.
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Nope, just what I posted is all info I had. Nothing new but after I originally posted that months ago, there has been some opposing info from good sources so it left me doubting what I'd heard, not to mention doubting basic logic (you can't get more power out of an NA engine at lower revs, and we had already reached a specific power output limit with the 3.8L at 9k).. so, was good to hear confirmation.
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:27 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Nope, just what I posted is all info I had. Nothing new but after I originally posted that months ago, there has been some opposing info from good sources so it left me doubting what I'd heard, not to mention doubting basic logic (you can't get more power out of an NA engine at lower revs, and we had already reached a specific power output limit with the 3.8L at 9k).. so, was good to hear confirmation.
I agree with your logic 100%. But where does that leave the next GT3 RS?
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:45 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

I checked my sources again today and also got confirmation of 4.0L.

There is also something very special coming. The rumours about a certain car linked back to a particular 997 are true.
Old 01-14-2017 | 06:52 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2017 | 07:18 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I checked my sources again today and also got confirmation of 4.0L.

There is also something very special coming. The rumours about a certain car linked back to a particular 997 are true.
speedester? gt2rs? club sport? What? Why don't you stop acting like a 14 year old teenage girl hiding her boyfriend from her parents
Old 01-14-2017 | 07:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

delete
Old 01-14-2017 | 09:48 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

I also think it will be a 4.0L, but I don't see the necessity to de-tune it (much, maybe 495 looks better?) in order to be slower than the current RS. There is plenty of precedent for a newer generation GT3 being faster than a previous generation RS.
I don't understand why the 4.0 needs be "de-tuned" at all for it to go in the .2 GT3. Is there any reason why the current 4.0 in the RS and R has reliability issues?

If it is a 4.0, wouldn't it be precisely the same current engine in the RS and R, thereby producing the same HP and TQ.

Whoopsy, I know you referenced the different generations (2A) of each GT motor, but would that also affect HP and TQ output OR just make them more reliable by changing specific components?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update