Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Your 991.2 GT3 Dealer List Position Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 08:15 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The following is true for all and I mean all. At some point in your life you would of bought your very first Pcar, now some of us have bought many more than just their first. As a new first time buyer of any or most specialty cars there will always be some buying pains, this is just normal. Walk into your dealer or should I say any dealer, be upfront, honest and talk to them in a serious manner, then see where it goes from there. We all had to start somewhere. Best of luck to all you first time buyers out there, just be patient.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:31 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I've tried to "establish" a relationship with 2 dealers around me and both ignored me so screw them. I was honest with both and told them that I would never buy a non-GT from them but that I would refer them other customers. They both knew I wanted to buy an RS and would even be willing to pay a small mark-up but all I got was crickets. I do have deposits down at 2 midwest dealers so we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I've tried to "establish" a relationship with 2 dealers around me and both ignored me so screw them. I was honest with both and told them that I would never buy a non-GT from them but that I would refer them other customers. They both knew I wanted to buy an RS and would even be willing to pay a small mark-up but all I got was crickets. I do have deposits down at 2 midwest dealers so we'll see how it goes.
It's a function of the free money economy which has been going on longer than people's memories stretch. Soon, you'll be walking into a dealership and they'll be very very nice to you again. "Relationships" with dealers work like this.. You spend a lot of money with them without so much as asking for a free keychain. Then you prove that you have the ability and will to continue doing so. Then they sell you cars at their original price without a discount and you say thank you and they say you're welcome. If that's not your idea of a "relationship".. then don't play. I can't afford to play that game and it's not my idea of a relationship even if I could.

Last edited by CAlexio; 11-11-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:21 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
If someone uses the phrase "establish a relationship with their dealer" one more time, I will throw up.

Why is it so challenging for some people to understand the below simple, logical, irrefutable points:

1. Some of us can "only" afford 1 car every 10 years
2. You are not "spoiled" by your dealership nor are you "lucky". You make your dealership money. I do not because of point #1.
3. Your salesperson will laugh at you to be put on a list because of point #2.
4. Your salesperson will call you when the new GT is available because of point #2.
5. You do not have a fabulous dealer. See point #2.
6. Your relationship is not "mutually benefiting" to the dealership. In fact it is not a relationship at all. You make the dealership money. See point #2 yet again. It is singularly benefiting. You have justified you are a beneficiary because you are "allowed" to give money in exchange for a product.
7. Being an "*******" to a dealer will rarely prevent a car from being purchased. See point #2 over and over again.

Finally, in a last ditch effort, please give some clarity from someone who actually understands #1, used to be subject to #1, is no longer subject to #1, how anyone will get an allocation?

If the dummy answer is PAG will produce 10 times what they did previously, therefore, #2-#7 do not apply, then I can accept that.
Your answered your own question in #1. Cars that are considered desirable by dealers will always be allocated that way. Look what Ford decided to do with the Ford GT.

However, there is always the possibility that you stumble into good luck and get the car at the price you want when you want.

You clearly stated you don't buy a lot of cars from your dealer. Do you not think someone who buys multiple cars a year should be ahead of you? This is a business.

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
This is a ridiculously short-sighted perspective.

Don't you realize that your dealer is 'fabulous' to you because you are loyal to them and give them a bunch of money? Or are you just trolling?

There are some here that have built a long-lasting relationship with P dealers and have bought many cars from them, I'll call them 'Old Money'. Old Money don't need to be on lists because they either have a 918 or their dealers know them and offer them the newest and best to them first. Old Money fail to realize that there are many people out there that do not have a long-term relationship or buy a bunch of cars from a P dealer, I'll call these people 'New Money'. The only option for New Money (without getting screwed on high markups) is to get on a list and hope for the best or wait for the very end of the production cycle (which no one really cares to do). Hence, this is why lists exist in the first place, to put some order in place for New Money folk.

Take myself for example... I am in my 20s and only owned a few M cars but never a Porsche, let alone a GT car. I do not really have relationships with dealerships. But, I am now financially comfortable enough to buy a GT3 - so what should I do? Should I walk into some fabulous Porsche dealership and ask for a new GT3? No, because they would laugh (have laughed) at me and told me their VIPs get them first. So I emailed around and asked what dealers could potentially get me a GT3 at MSRP and one said I was the first to inquire, so they put me on the list. Now there are 10 people on the list. That's how the New Money do it. Back on your pedestal you go.
You should check your attitude in your "new money" shoe box.

Post a pic of your "new money GT3" when and if it arrives.

I am sure many of the new buyers who so desperately want the GT cars now, want it only because of the perceived value, i.e. possible investment bulls...t
Old 11-11-2016, 12:21 AM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
You should check your attitude in your "new money" shoe box.

Post a pic of your "new money GT3" when and if it arrives.

I am sure many of the new buyers who so desperately want the GT cars now, want it only because of the perceived value, i.e. possible investment bulls...t
Not sure if I'm the one with an attitude here. But what you wrote sounds pretty pretentious. Maybe you're just frustrated. I was just clearly trying to articulate why dealer lists exist to someone who doesn't get it.

It's funny how you know very little about me and automatically throw me in the 'investment' mindset buyer just because I'm new at buying a GT car, that is too classic but I won't fire back because I'd rather this thread not spiral into bimmerpost.

And yes, I will post pics of my GT3 whenever I get one and it will be awesome.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:24 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,124 Likes on 5,271 Posts

Lists are for amateurs.

I just get pictures of the GM's wife in the nude.

Allocation offered, and accepted.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:34 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I just get pictures of the GM's wife in the nude.
Finally this thread is getting good!
Old 11-11-2016, 07:15 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Not sure if I'm the one with an attitude here. But what you wrote sounds pretty pretentious. Maybe you're just frustrated. I was just clearly trying to articulate why dealer lists exist to someone who doesn't get it.

It's funny how you know very little about me and automatically throw me in the 'investment' mindset buyer just because I'm new at buying a GT car, that is too classic but I won't fire back because I'd rather this thread not spiral into bimmerpost.

And yes, I will post pics of my GT3 whenever I get one and it will be awesome.
Again, you are too blind to see the tone of your posts.

You are the frustrated one.

I get the cars you are wanting without being a number on any lists. Have fun on your waiting list
Old 11-11-2016, 10:20 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get the cars you are wanting without being a number on any lists. Have fun on your waiting list
This is the way I see it. As I mentioned in my earlier post, there certainly are some customers who do not need to be on any list and still get mostly what they want. This takes time but most had to start at some time.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:35 AM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Nothing wrong with my tone, you are just a sensitive person. This is typical of someone of entitlement (not always the case though).

But you're right, you probably can get the cars I want more easily than I can, but hey, life is not the same for all of us so I am not complaining - merely stating the reality I live in while you boast yours, and for this I pity you.

Anticipation of the GT3 and whether or not I will get one has its own level of amusement for me, too. If I knew I was going to get everything I wanted and didn't have to really try then it would take away from the experience.

Also, not sure how you have managed to spiral this into something detestable. I sure hope other GT owners I meet are more encouraging to the 'new guys' getting into this type of car.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:00 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Once again you show that you have no ability to recognize your ignorance.

I had originally responded to your post below and will highlight the statements you made that started this waste of time.

The entitlement issue is all you. I work hard, I pay, I drive, very simple.

You need to understand it is business and dealers aren't there to make friends, it revolves around money.

Good luck.

This is a ridiculously short-sighted perspective.

Don't you realize that your dealer is 'fabulous' to you because you are loyal to them and give them a bunch of money? Or are you just trolling?

There are some here that have built a long-lasting relationship with P dealers and have bought many cars from them, I'll call them 'Old Money'. Old Money don't need to be on lists because they either have a 918 or their dealers know them and offer them the newest and best to them first. Old Money fail to realize that there are many people out there that do not have a long-term relationship or buy a bunch of cars from a P dealer, I'll call these people 'New Money'. The only option for New Money (without getting screwed on high markups) is to get on a list and hope for the best or wait for the very end of the production cycle (which no one really cares to do). Hence, this is why lists exist in the first place, to put some order in place for New Money folk.

Take myself for example... I am in my 20s and only owned a few M cars but never a Porsche, let alone a GT car. I do not really have relationships with dealerships. But, I am now financially comfortable enough to buy a GT3 - so what should I do? Should I walk into some fabulous Porsche dealership and ask for a new GT3? No, because they would laugh (have laughed) at me and told me their VIPs get them first. So I emailed around and asked what dealers could potentially get me a GT3 at MSRP and one said I was the first to inquire, so they put me on the list. Now there are 10 people on the list. That's how the New Money do it. Back on your pedestal you go.

Nothing wrong with my tone, you are just a sensitive person. This is typical of someone of entitlement (not always the case though).

But you're right, you probably can get the cars I want more easily than I can, but hey, life is not the same for all of us so I am not complaining - merely stating the reality I live in while you boast yours, and for this I pity you.

Anticipation of the GT3 and whether or not I will get one has its own level of amusement for me, too. If I knew I was going to get everything I wanted and didn't have to really try then it would take away from the experience.

Also, not sure how you have managed to spiral this into something detestable. I sure hope other GT owners I meet are more encouraging to the 'new guys' getting into this type of car.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:10 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Once again you show that you have no ability to recognize your ignorance.

I had originally responded to your post below and will highlight the statements you made that started this waste of time.

The entitlement issue is all you. I work hard, I pay, I drive, very simple.

You need to understand it is business and dealers aren't there to make friends, it revolves around money.

Good luck.

it's a small world so I never meant to offend you. Let's enjoy in good health and keep it positive. No need to bang your head or think I am ignorant, I get it but being on a list is my only chance to get the 991.2 when it comes out. If I don't get it, maybe I'll buy something else.

Just called my dealer, still #1 and now there are 9 others on the list. Looks like there are a few others in the same boat as myself. For those that don't need a list, more power to you and hopefully I can get to that status some day.

It's Friday so have a good weekend everybody.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:23 PM
white rock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
How are we talking about "lists" for a car that doesn't even exist yet? Maybe I'm spoiled but I have a fabulous dealer (Hennessy) who gives out allocations based upon 1) Not being an entitled ******* 2) Being loyal to them 3) previous purchases / referrals 4) Other stuff, maybe?

They would look at me like I'm crazy if I walked in there and said I'd like to be put on a list for the GT3. I've never understood this. Build a relationship - when the car becomes an actual car, express your interest to purchase it, and if you've done 1-4 above correctly, you will get an allocation. I would actually not be surprised at all if my sales guy called me and just asked if i was interested in one.

If some dude came into any dealership now with no history and asked to be put on a list, I would not expect them to get a car before that dealers customers who have a long and mutually beneficial partnership. It's just not good business IMO.
Same experience with Hennesey as well.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:02 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

Ummmm - Hi I'm reality, have we met? Have you noticed the cars you own/have owned? Do you think that has nothing to do with why you continue to get more cars of that caliber without waiting? "Have fun on your waiting list?" That sounds conceited.

What I am still trying convey, although it appears to be futile, is how should a person who can only afford 1 GT3 every 10 years get an allocation.

I'll say it differently. There are many people who are not wealthy. There are many people who will never afford a Porsche. There are many people who can only afford 1 Porsche in a lifetime. There are many people who can only afford 1 Porsche every several years. There are many people who can only afford 1 Porsche every year. There are many people who can afford 100 Porsches over a lifetime. Now that we have established the wide variance of people and their buying power, the next is to establish that it is possible for a person in each of these categories are equally passionate about the Porsche brand. It is possible that the person who only can afford a Porsche once every few years is more passionate about Porsche/Cars than the person who can afford 100 Porsches. Therefore, how does a person in each of these categories buy one, especially a sought after one like the GT?

The answer is simple, yet escapes most people.

1. Wait
2. Get lucky (either financially or get an allocation from someone/dealer)
3. Pay a premium
4. Buy used
5. PAG changes it's model
6. PAG makes much more than demand
7. Economy goes down
8. Wealth shifting among the above categories

It's clear that their is a huge dichotomy between the haves and the have nots. Perhaps there is envy and jealousy. Perhaps the haves really love cars and it's their hobby/passion.

I am and will be in the category who can only afford a Porsche once every 10 years. I am pretty confident that will not change to be more frequent and will do my best for it not to change so it's less frequent.

I'm sure most of this is from frustration. Yes, I am frustrated that after 25 years of working, I am able to afford the car I have thought about for 20 years, yet the method to obtain this car is complicated, complex, and ambiguous.

Frustrated, but I do understand how and why. I also accept it. I have chosen Option #1 above.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:27 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

it's a small world so I never meant to offend you. Let's enjoy in good health and keep it positive. No need to bang your head or think I am ignorant, I get it but being on a list is my only chance to get the 991.2 when it comes out. If I don't get it, maybe I'll buy something else.

Just called my dealer, still #1 and now there are 9 others on the list. Looks like there are a few others in the same boat as myself. For those that don't need a list, more power to you and hopefully I can get to that status some day.

It's Friday so have a good weekend everybody.
Cheers!

Quick Reply: Post Your 991.2 GT3 Dealer List Position Here