Sponsored by:

The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

IMO :

CLs are stronger than in the 997 gen...no failures that I'm aware. They will remain the same. Same tightening and greasing procedures as well,that can't change...it's part of the procedure to do it correctly,engage the locking pin and set the proper torque.
No 5 lugs option. We want manual and pdk and now we want options in the wheel department as well?! It's not happening...they have to change too many things...wheels,hubs etc etc...they'll give you small GT department story/whatever...
PCCBs and $$$...well...if you have to ask...
Lift...the same...pretty unreliable.
New calibration for the electric steering and RWS for sure from what they've learned with the R.
6 speed,not 7 in the manual. I'm still hoping for LWFW but not holding my breath on that one.
AFAIK,all cars registered in the US as a 2018 model need to have rear view camera...so yes to that.
Newer gen of Cup 2s are coming I believe.

That's all I can think of right now..
Old 11-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

As stated above, new "nice to haves" will hopefully include:

LWFW from 911 R; even if not offered as an option (it was never an option on previous generations of GT3, and was standard on the RS) the part exists and can presumably be retrofitted

New Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires
Old 11-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Since we seem to know almost everything from a design perspective on the new car, i find the surprises related to potential (hoped-for) individual part upgrades to be more interesting. In no particular order, I'm hoping for the following.. which ones are wishful thinking and which ones are realistic?

-center locks: hopefully they come out with a Gen II, kind of like they did with PCCB's.. a lock which requires a much easier and more rational process for installing and removing wheels. Maybe a locking function so someone doesn't have to hold brake pedal down?.. or a no-grease hub?... or an easier locking pin for example? I think this would go a long way to making owners happy who have had to deal with these absurd devices.

-pccb: even longer lasting?.. or maybe making the option slightly less expensive, or with a cheaper replacement cost?

-front lift: even faster, or more importantly.. higher rising than the current option?

-sport chrono software: easier to use/integrate with iOS for download?.. maybe with the option for integrated cameras like on a mclaren?

-rear steering improvements.. greater angle of steer for low and fast speeds?

-some kind of underbody aero?
I think we'll see a couple of those. The RWS steering improvements for the 911R will likely make their way to the GT3. Also you should be happy to know that the front axle lift lifts another 10mm higher for the .2 cars, (40mm, instead of 30mm), which hopefully will help with your SF garage situation.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I think we'll see a couple of those. The RWS steering improvements for the 911R will likely make their way to the GT3. Also you should be happy to know that the front axle lift lifts another 10mm higher for the .2 cars, (40mm, instead of 30mm), which hopefully will help with your SF garage situation.
ha thanks!.. and as long as my fiancee' agrees to stay with me, we got that little issues solved as her garage has been nice and smooth entry for the Spyder.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:09 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Most of the first batch of GT3s will be sold to 918 owners under the VIP and the majority of those will be flipped looking for over MSRP...that's my prediction.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:18 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Adding this rumour to this thread (where it belongs) in case some people are not following the GT3/RSR engine thread so may have missed it.

I have been reluctant to talk about this as I am not sure that my info is true and I only like to make statements about future stuff when I know it to be really, really solid. I think I was the first to mention the 4.0l, manual option, etc back in March because I knew it was on the money.

More recently, I heard that the wing delete will only be allowed with the manual because it requires a diffuser which will not fit properly with the PDK. Something to do with not enough space because the 6spd box is different to the 7spd PDK.

But don't take this as read, I am trying to verify thru other sources. I am a bit doubtful.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:22 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

^That does not compute..... GT car with no wing?.. even the track car with diffuser, utilizes a wing..
Old 11-21-2016, 09:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^That does not compute..... GT car with no wing?.. even the track car with diffuser, utilizes a wing..

Same aero as the 911R. I'm sure the retractable spoiler and diffuser do the same job.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Same aero as the 911R. I'm sure the retractable spoiler and diffuser do the same job.
Right, and there is a new optional retractable spoiler on the Carrera now (some Sport aero package) that provides more downforce presumably, as it deploys with a much steeper angle of incidence. I would expect this to be part of the spoiler-delete package...
Old 11-21-2016, 10:03 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Adding this rumour to this thread (where it belongs) in case some people are not following the GT3/RSR engine thread so may have missed it.

I have been reluctant to talk about this as I am not sure that my info is true and I only like to make statements about future stuff when I know it to be really, really solid. I think I was the first to mention the 4.0l, manual option, etc back in March because I knew it was on the money.

More recently, I heard that the wing delete will only be allowed with the manual because it requires a diffuser which will not fit properly with the PDK. Something to do with not enough space because the 6spd box is different to the 7spd PDK.

But don't take this as read, I am trying to verify thru other sources. I am a bit doubtful.
if it means anything, my source mentioned the same thing, I just never bothered to post this. Reason is that Recently, i realized i was just over releasing any new info if i get it as it tended to just backfire and gets lost in all the rumors and silliness and conflicts with antagonistic people like FXZ (actually come to think of it.. basically just him). So i stopped posting info and just started just reading other people's info and asking questions.
But, now that you mention it, yes, that's what i've been told also. it's a bit disappointing if true as a gt3 with a wing and a manual is my wish.. but i guess one can always add the wing later and keep the diffuser.. (i'm sure this is a mortal sin of aero unbalance in someone's eyes ... but that's ok too ;-D )
Old 11-21-2016, 10:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
if it means anything, my source mentioned the same thing. Recently, i realized i was just over releasing any new info if i get it as it tended to just backfire and gets lost in all the rumors and silliness and conflicts with people like FXZ, so i stopped and started just reading other people's info. But, now that you mention it, yes, that's what i've been told also. it's a bit disappointing if true as a gt3 with a wing and a manual is my wish.. but i guess one can always add the wing later and keep the diffuser.. (i'm sure this is a mortal sin of aero unbalance in someone's eyes )

What he's saying is that a "wing delete option" will only be available in manuals. You will have a choice with only the manuals. Wing or no wing.

Don't worry, big wing will still live with the .2 GT3 Manuals.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
What he's saying is that a "wing delete option" will only be available in manuals. You will have a choice with only the manuals. Wing or no wing.

Don't worry, big wing will still live with the .2 GT3 Manuals.
That's the way I read it too. I think the .2 GT3 will come with a wing in both PDK and manual variants.

However, there will be a wing-delete option to make the car basically a 911R (without the R's lighter front fenders and roof). This wing delete option will be the same aero package as the 911R, with same front end and same rear diffuser, as the 911R, but as the rear diffuser was designed for a manual car, (911R), maybe it won't fit on PDK equipped GT3s, and wing delete won't be an option for PDK .2 GT3 customers.

This is also likely being done, so the non-purists, (the majority of 911 carrera owners who chose PDK), don't abandon the current 911 Carrera in huge numbers to try to get a wing-less GT3 with PDK instead of their current PDK Carreras.

This way Porsche can still offer a NA, manual, 911 for their purist customers, some of whom don't want a GT3 style wing, but the GT3 drivers who track their cars and/or prefer wings, can still have their GT3s with a wing in manual or PDK, while Porsche will continue to sell most 911s as Carrera turbos which will fulfill their emissions targets for the next few years.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-22-2016 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:36 PM
STG
Race Director

^^^ well said
Old 11-21-2016, 10:39 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

When dealers are told how many allocations they will be getting (which I assume would be right around Geneva) would that number be for immediate allocations, quarterly or yearly? And on average how long did it take from order locking on .1s to delivery in the US? 4 months?
Old 11-22-2016, 03:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

gt no wing
eunuch
i need to think

Quick Reply: The official 991.2 GT3 thread-latest pics,rumors,build specs