Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 10:04 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
So this confirms all with 991.1GT3, 991 GT3RS and 911R have engines with insufficient oiling capacity for long term longevity?

It doesn't make sense. Porsche took 3 years to work that out? They increased oil pressure, replaced pumps, redesigned filters and added oil lines to The above cars during 3 years production but then moved on to DLC coatings so the oiling can't be the only changes on these engines.

I'm betting valve train gear re design?

Frank and Andy said the major difference is the oiling system. If they changed any other parts the 2 would considered those minor changes.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Frank and Andy said the major difference is the oiling system. If they changed any other parts the 2 would considered those minor changes.
Thanks. So major change is oiling. Id be very interested to see if the Cup car uses DLC coated cams and followers.

The press release mentions integrated centrifugal oil system. i assumed this was bad translation for integrated electronic fuel pump. This is a difference between the prior Mezger Cup engine and the new DFI engine for sure. Its also a feature of the DFI MA17X engines in the current GT3/RS/R. Then there was mention of changes to reducing "foaming". Again poor translation and I suspect issues to reduce oil spume from cavitation. Again the MA17X engines had a newly developed (from racing department so it was said in the technical sales literature at the time) oil "scrubber". basically a baffled wash board pre sump to reduce oil spume. So although perhaps new to the Cup DFI engine compared to prior Mezger, again no new technology there.

Dont get me wrong, Ive stuck with the 991 GT3 as much as anyone here, but if Im honest and I play devils advocate I have to say that in teh last three years of defending PAGs engineering prowess and being constantly taken aback by the poor management of solutions to issues that should never have been in the first place Im gradually developing a healthy perspective of sceptisism.

Lets just say the "Marketing Speak" doesn't wash with me any more. I don't care what Ralph says, AP, or Ann the cleaner, I NEED to know or feel myself that a significant revision has been made in the next GT3/RS engine to allow me to to feel that my security blanket isn't going to be ripped away from me again. I think I need to wait for more information.

P.S. If I were a new MY17 GT3 Cup customer having previously owned a 991 GT3/RS etc and having experienced valve train issues - and PAG said to me they have "doubled the maintenance interval" for this new engine......well lets just say id be telling my mechanic to stick to 50hr intervals till other teams had proven the reliability "in the wild".

Don't get me wrong, I love my Porsche but Im not as green as I was 3.5 years ago!
Old 10-01-2016, 08:34 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Are you in Paris? You saw the oiling changes in detail? Was Frank W. there to explain them if so?

Frank and I have both been in Atlanta this weekend for the IMSA series. Met him in COTA a few weeks ago and he has been very forthcoming, really nice guy.

They had a preview for the cup car two nights ago including the new engine on a stand at the Chateau Elan. Pics don't attach from my RL phone app otherwise I'd post. There is some new style carbon fiber (like the new r8 or Huracan) on the rear of the car.

Also, as a tidbit- PFS now will finance cup cars.

Anyone want to go race next year?
Old 10-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

Dont get me wrong, Ive stuck with the 991 GT3 as much as anyone here, but if Im honest and I play devils advocate I have to say that in teh last three years of defending PAGs engineering prowess and being constantly taken aback by the poor management of solutions to issues that should never have been in the first place Im gradually developing a healthy perspective of sceptisism.

Lets just say the "Marketing Speak" doesn't wash with me any more. I don't care what Ralph says, AP, or Ann the cleaner, I NEED to know or feel myself that a significant revision has been made in the next GT3/RS engine to allow me to to feel that my security blanket isn't going to be ripped away from me again. I think I need to wait for more information.
Welcome to the dark side...

P.S. If I were a new MY17 GT3 Cup customer having previously owned a 991 GT3/RS etc and having experienced valve train issues - and PAG said to me they have "doubled the maintenance interval" for this new engine......well lets just say id be telling my mechanic to stick to 50hr intervals till other teams had proven the reliability "in the wild".
Exactly. There's a huge gap between theory and application.

I'm skeptical that the new motor is somehow stronger or more robust than the outgoing Mezger, which if anything was overbuilt. We know Mezger Cup motors regularly run to 100hrs without significant power loss. It strikes me that there's a lot of marketing "wiggle" room in where you draw the line on recommended rebuilds. But happy to be proven wrong on this.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Moondog4224
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clarity?

Which only makes them using Gen 1.5 engines. Quite a bit away from the Gen 2 in the GT3R, GT3 Cup and Gen 2.5 91.2 GT3.
so to ask it differently.....
are you saying oiling system changed with 16 gt3.... but not enough to feel that is a fix vs what will come out in the 991.2?
Old 10-01-2016, 05:06 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 423 Likes on 251 Posts

Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When the .2 engine comes out maybe Porsche will offer us a RL group buy. LOL
Old 10-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

A lot of the confusion lies in that we compare each GT model to the next; GT3 to GT4, then to RS, then to R, then GT2/RS, etc.. However, when Porsche drafts a press release; they only compare the specific model vs. the prior version of that specific model; so when they say "re-designed" motor, etc; they are only talking about vs. the prior version of exact car. So for example: they may say in press release of .2 GT3 that motor is completely re-designed, etc. but that is vs. the 991.1 GT3, and could be same exact motor as in the RS/R with some minor changes, etc. It's not a lie when comparing to prior 2014 GT3, but it is also not something new, as most of those design changes were rolled out in subsequent other models (i.e. RS and R).. so they get the marketing hype of claiming "all new" without lying, but in reality, it's only new to that specific model.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I remember back to when I signed up for this forum after having placed a deposit on a 991.1 GT3, that the 9a1 engine was announced that all the meztger-fans cast doubt on it as it wasn't proven on the racetrack yet. I didn't know enough to comment but I didn't understand their skepticism.. I figured if Porsche put into production then it must be tried and tested right? After all.. they're PORSCHE!

Having seen what owners of 991.1 gt3's have gone through over past 3 years, Now I understand the value of racing a motor, especially a high revving 9k rpm NA one. That lesson will stick with me always.

I'm sure one day Ill be the old man on the forums, and all the young whipper-snappers will be falling all over themselves to purchase the latest 20k rpm hybrid wunderkind whatever engine and I'll say... "I remember many many years ago an engine called the 9a1.. 9k rpm was a lot in those days.. " etc etc.

Anyway, as you were gents...
Old 10-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 356 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
I read somewhere that the 4.0 in the GT3 has redesigned heads with new oiling system. I guess thats what going in the 991.2 GT3 which hopefully is a permanent fix for the engine issues that plauged the 991.1 GT3.
Can you share where you read this?
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-02-2016, 06:01 PM
dane1984
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are some nice pictures and some technical stuff (on german):
https://chromjuwelen.com/de/network/...he-911-gt3-cup
Old 10-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

The gen 2 and up engines have a completely new oiling system that is different than the gen 1 series engines, it will not be retrofittable and for those that 'hope' it will, they will surely be disappointed.

The .1 GT3 engine was a gem that revs to 9k. On paper it is great but in reality it has some deficiencies. Porsche tried to correct them as they go and released the gen 1.5 RS engines. But that one also is not perfect. Once they realized what was wrong, and there is no hope is patching up the gen 1 engines, it's time to move on and get on with the gen 2s. The gen 2s are being raced as we speak and what Porsche learn there will be applied to the civilian's .2GT3 as gen 2.5 engines.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:06 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

The gen 2 and up engines have a completely new oiling system that is different than the gen 1 series engines, it will not be retrofittable and for those that 'hope' it will, they will surely be disappointed.

The .1 GT3 engine was a gem that revs to 9k. On paper it is great but in reality it has some deficiencies. Porsche tried to correct them as they go and released the gen 1.5 RS engines. But that one also is not perfect. Once they realized what was wrong, and there is no hope is patching up the gen 1 engines, it's time to move on and get on with the gen 2s. The gen 2s are being raced as we speak and what Porsche learn there will be applied to the civilian's .2GT3 as gen 2.5 engines.
If the .1 gt3 engines go after warranty, I really wonder if Porsche will do anything , knowing it's troubles and now somewhat realizing nothing can be done to properly repair it to the levels of the latest newer version?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

New motor
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2016, 10:11 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

^^^Where was this engine shown? It shows 2 side muffler delete.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Cup