Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone really sure of what the new 991 GT3 and RS are going to be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 12:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
All of this talk of building a relationship with the dealers is off putting to me. Having dealt with new and used car dealers in my business for nearly 20 years I can tell you that I'd trust any dealer about as much as I'd trust ol' Hillary. Most are total one way douchebags. I want to buy a car not get into bed with them... or Hil for that matter.
i learned the hardway.
trust NO ONE.
with divorce rate so high in USA, one barely trust his wife why should one ever trust dealer?
Old 09-05-2016, 03:04 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-60 freak
Well I go to the charity events, pay for the track events, buy cars and give referrals to my local dealer and still had to take it in the rear for $30k over on my rs from a out of state dealer!
So basically there's no reason to even try and build a relationship with most dealers.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:21 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by calpolo17
Depositers hope to have right of first refusal when there is news. Sometimes dealers follow their list, sometimes they dont. General thinking is get on a list or be left with scraps with market adjustments. It's generally a modest deposit. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Dealer asked me for $26.6k (100k in local currency) for the deposit on the 911R which is now directed towards the 991.2 GT2RS as the country only got one R allocation. I have half that amount on the 991.2 GT3.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:36 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i learned the hardway.
trust NO ONE.
with divorce rate so high in USA, one barely trust his wife why should one ever trust dealer?
The downside is a bit higher with a divorce don't you think? Dealers aren't entitled to over half your ****...
Old 09-05-2016, 01:37 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
All of this talk of building a relationship with the dealers is off putting to me. Having dealt with new and used car dealers in my business for nearly 20 years I can tell you that I'd trust any dealer about as much as I'd trust ol' Hillary. Most are total one way douchebags. I want to buy a car not get into bed with them... or Hil for that matter.
I will take your comment and raise you. Can someone explain how "building a relationship with your dealer" has become defined as "purchasing a highly depreciating asset once a year, then giving it back to the dealer to purchase another highly depreciating asset."

Paying $2K a month (rough estimate of $24K depreciation a year) to a dealer is not the definition of establishing a relationship. Essentially every person who states that this is the best method to get an allocation on future GT cars is wealthy and can afford paying yearly depreciation.

Does this mean that if lowly me can "only" afford a $200K GT car once every 7 years means I shouldn't have the opportunity to purchase one new?

Please just be honest and say "I can afford to purchase a new car every 12-18 months and that is how I ESTABLISHED a relationship with my dealer."

Am I jealous? Nope. Just tell me my money is no good here.

Last edited by mass27; 09-05-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Whats this depreciation you speak about?
GT thread, not Pana thread..
Old 09-05-2016, 02:39 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Whats this depreciation you speak about?
GT thread, not Pana thread..
Not everyone buys their RS at list. All GT cars have some depreciation, my lowly GT3 is taking a long overdue hit now. Mass27's point is valid, what a silly term, "relationship"- more of an oxymoron when paired with the word "dealer".

Back on topic, the next gen except for manual transmission will be just a slight upgrade as others state. One thing for sure though, with the manual tranny and naturally aspirated it will put that "D" word into 991.1 and 997 GT3 prices.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Right. Everything over MSRP should be written off imidiately. If not you're gambling.
If we are talking about getting on the list and relation building with a dealer, I assume at MSRP. If over you don't have a relation.

Not coming down to who has the most money, rather coming down to having an honest dealer and get a deposit in early. And luck. If you managed that, you can have no depreciation since 2007. Even if you do, well below any other 150K plus car you could take to the track.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:13 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
I will take your comment and raise you. Can someone explain how "building a relationship with your dealer" has become defined as "purchasing a highly depreciating asset once a year, then giving it back to the dealer to purchase another highly depreciating asset."

Paying $2K a month (rough estimate of $24K depreciation a year) to a dealer is not the definition of establishing a relationship. Essentially every person who states that this is the best method to get an allocation on future GT cars is wealthy and can afford paying yearly depreciation.

Does this mean that if lowly me can "only" afford a $200K GT car once every 7 years means I shouldn't have the opportunity to purchase one new?

Please just be honest and say "I can afford to purchase a new car every 12-18 months and that is how I ESTABLISHED a relationship with my dealer."

Millionaires among Billionaires...
Old 09-05-2016, 03:27 PM
obdel#1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way too complicated to me.
I guess I am not wealthy enough or just not enough of a real "enthusiast" (or probably both) to just trust Porsche to produce something at a reasonable price that I am going to love and not be a dud.
Is anyone really sure that the next generation GT or RS is going to offer a manual transmission or even be normally aspirated?
Old 09-05-2016, 04:00 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I'm just a simple guy or can't figure out why so many are overthinking this and get so bent out of shape? A relationship with dealer does not mean you must buy a car every month or every year etc etc? In many cases it simply means you'll fulfill your commitment and you expect the dealer to fulfill its commitments within what they control (again transparency is name of game). You simply provide a deposit and remain loyal until they treat you otherwise....you are in control and make the calls. You don't like it then move on, try another store, go to different brand, or just don't buy but you control next step. This market craziness will come to halt in cars at some point. Many many great dealers exist out there and have a staff that understands how to respectfully treat clients, and many many many others do not. You can't control who is bad apple so stop with all the emotions. The industry and reputation management will at some point change the way in which Porsches are purchased in future but that time has not come yet so simply make your decisions based on what YOU can control which is where and when your money is spent. Many on rennlist have contacts with dealers you can do business with and be treated the way that might work for you. Is it frustrating being stuck with a crappy dealer in your area? Yes, of course it is then buy a Porsche out of market from another dealer and ship in....again you ultimately control the purchase with your yes and no's.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:15 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Maybe I'm just a simple guy or can't figure out why so many are overthinking this and get so bent out of shape? A relationship with dealer does not mean you must buy a car every month or every year etc etc? In many cases it simply means you'll fulfill your commitment and you expect the dealer to fulfill its commitments within what they control (again transparency is name of game). You simply provide a deposit and remain loyal until they treat you otherwise....you are in control and make the calls. You don't like it then move on, try another store, go to different brand, or just don't buy but you control next step. This market craziness will come to halt in cars at some point. Many many great dealers exist out there and have a staff that understands how to respectfully treat clients, and many many many others do not. You can't control who is bad apple so stop with all the emotions. The industry and reputation management will at some point change the way in which Porsches are purchased in future but that time has not come yet so simply make your decisions based on what YOU can control which is where and when your money is spent. Many on rennlist have contacts with dealers you can do business with and be treated the way that might work for you. Is it frustrating being stuck with a crappy dealer in your area? Yes, of course it is then buy a Porsche out of market from another dealer and ship in....again you ultimately control the purchase with your yes and no's.

+1^

Well said!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:16 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
This. I was pondering the same thing while I was suv shopping and wondering if a Cayenne or Macan might help with a GT3 allocation. Then, out of the blue my SA offered me an RS for $60k over msrp less than 6 months after picking up my GT4 and i think that answered my question.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:42 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
This. I was pondering the same thing while I was suv shopping and wondering if a Cayenne or Macan might help with a GT3 allocation. Then, out of the blue my SA offered me an RS for $60k over msrp less than 6 months after picking up my GT4 and i think that answered my question.
Did he also try to make you feel special that you got the opportunity to buy one for only $60k over MSRP?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:06 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by obdel#1
Is anyone really sure that the next generation GT or RS is going to offer a manual transmission or even be normally aspirated?
Nobody is 100% sure unless AP wants to chime in and tell us. Odds are in favour of both though. Both meaning in the GT3. Up in the air regarding the RS.

Quick Reply: Is anyone really sure of what the new 991 GT3 and RS are going to be?