Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone really sure of what the new 991 GT3 and RS are going to be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 06:19 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Allusions of engine reliability because it's "GT3R derived" appear misguided. Ask the privateer teams whose cars have self-immolated and see what they tell you?
Old 09-11-2016, 01:37 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Special edition GT3RSR could be the last NA, or it could be the intro to turbo GTs...
Old 09-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
That's wishful thinking man. Who'd want to buy a 9K-rpm motor that breaks? Besides, some have stated the car actually accelerates faster short-shifting it anyway. Peak power is at 8,250, is it not? A few hundred more rpm would provide plenty of overrev. Porsche probably just wanted bragging rights with the 9K limit, but backfired big time. They didn't have to reinvent the wheel making a heavier and bulkier valvetrain with a lot more moving parts just for a few hundred rpm more. Will be interesting to see if they go back to the Mezger design, or they keep d*cking around with the current one until it works as customers expect.
You need to check your facts. The theads at RL reflect only ONE case of an engine that broke, as in terminal. All other in the Replaced engine thread are CEL issues related to wear but none of them have "broken." So far PAG has owned up to that and has either replaced or rebuilt every single engine under warranty. We need to chill out.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 150 Posts

^ Pretty sure the original stop-sale and replacement campaign was a result of broken engines. And fire, if memory serves.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:52 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
You need to check your facts. The theads at RL reflect only ONE case of an engine that broke, as in terminal. All other in the Replaced engine thread are CEL issues related to wear but none of them have "broken." So far PAG has owned up to that and has either replaced or rebuilt every single engine under warranty. We need to chill out.
I think many of us old timers here are still sour about Porsche pretending the M96 and its derivatives didn't blow up or that the 997.1 GT3's didn't have oil leak issues or that the coolant pipes didn't blow apart and kill a few good people.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:43 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ Pretty sure the original stop-sale and replacement campaign was a result of broken engines. And fire, if memory serves.
Yes on two cars of 785.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I think many of us old timers here are still sour about Porsche pretending the M96 and its derivatives didn't blow up or that the 997.1 GT3's didn't have oil leak issues or that the coolant pipes didn't blow apart and kill a few good people.
I am on the same boat. I maybe as old as many here and having been around these cars since the 356. No car is bullet proof. My M97 still works beautifully and I always have had in the back of my head the IMS issues. I do agree that the engine in our 991.1 GT3s should last longer prior to rebuild, but calling it broken for me is a stretch.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:35 PM
JSA
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Could not agree more.

Porsche gave us a 125 hp per liter N/A motor that runs on pump fuel. That's like Chevy selling a 875 hp LS7 with a 100,000 mile warranty - that will NEVER happen. But Porsche does it and stands behind it with an incredible warranty and I read plenty of posts on this forum blasting them.

People need to chill out.

Quick Reply: Is anyone really sure of what the new 991 GT3 and RS are going to be?