Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

evo Car of the Year 2016

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

No way the ACR or the GT350 will even get on the list considering you can't buy either car in the UK or Europe.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:05 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkyglenn
Not sure why the 911R is even viewed as a production car. Seriously. No one can buy it.

That should be the very first qualifier. If it can't be purchased by a member of the public it shouldn't be qualified.
I definitely agree with that
Old 08-18-2016, 11:41 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkyglenn
Not sure why the 911R is even viewed as a production car. Seriously. No one can buy it.

That should be the very first qualifier. If it can't be purchased by a member of the public it shouldn't be qualified.
Agreed.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:55 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

when does this test come out?

what about motortrend drivers car award? that's usually done end of summer
Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
when does this test come out?

what about motortrend drivers car award? that's usually done end of summer
Evo test will come out around the holidays later this year; Motor Trend test is already over with, will probably be in the magazine in a month or two.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:59 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by modernbeat
Having gone through the Focus RS in depth (see the linked threads above), my personal opinion is that if you ever want to take your car to the track, avoid the Focus RS. If you just want to misbehave on public roads, it's probably the car for you.

Ford hyped all the equipment and capabilities of this car to no end. But every piece we look at has huge compromises, or fakes the experience. I predict this will be one of the highest depreciating cars in this decade.
WOW, I had no idea. I read through the break-down, very informative since I've been toying with the idea of an RS as an around town car - but now matter how fun to drive, from an engineering standpoint, I could not bring myself to do it now after having seen the guts of the car.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
WOW, I had no idea. I read through the break-down, very informative since I've been toying with the idea of an RS as an around town car - but now matter how fun to drive, from an engineering standpoint, I could not bring myself to do it now after having seen the guts of the car.
You guys are far too paranoid. Its a sub 40K USD 5 door econo compact car built in Germnay that has won many accolades as a "fun driver car" and is quick at a Boxter on road or track.

If you are worried about the Focus RS engineering then stay away from the latest GT3/RS IMO.

Its early days, US buyers have not been as kind on the car as UK & ROW, but I think thats cultural in part as the RS is a "UK car" historically and the size and format better suit the European taste.

The tuning market already have these cars up to 400 HP and 4.0s to 62mph but I think thats a step too far without mechanical fortification. However the new Mounttune 375 bhp tune upgrade is Ford Warranty accepted and from what Ive read performs reliably so far on road and track.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:25 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

C7 Corvette Grand Sport?
Old 08-19-2016, 01:34 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You guys are far too paranoid. Its a sub 40K USD 5 door econo compact car built in Germnay that has won many accolades as a "fun driver car" and is quick at a Boxter on road or track.

If you are worried about the Focus RS engineering then stay away from the latest GT3/RS IMO.

Its early days, US buyers have not been as kind on the car as UK & ROW, but I think thats cultural in part as the RS is a "UK car" historically and the size and format better suit the European taste.

The tuning market already have these cars up to 400 HP and 4.0s to 62mph but I think thats a step too far without mechanical fortification. However the new Mounttune 375 bhp tune upgrade is Ford Warranty accepted and from what Ive read performs reliably so far on road and track.
Did you read those articles? It's not really in the ballpark of how 40K cars are engineered. I didn't say it was a car that could not perform or was not fun to drive, I just said I'm shocked at the engineering for a 40K car (actually 50-60K to get one). I was a bit horrified at 5 bills for our minivan, it's a tin can - but it's more substantial at least than what I see there.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yip I read the full thread. Its a 37K road car the team on that article are trying to turn into a time attack and track hero. I bought mine as a daily driver (23.5% of the cost of my GT3 new). Its unfortunate the camber adjustment is limited and hard to access for the front axle but I see not reason to play with it for the road. The Rear Drive Unit is the only real concern the article highlights. Its the first time Ive read about this de coupling after a few laps on the track. No mention was made of that during the press launch on the track in Europe but I suspect a Texas summer and driving style may have been a factor. Chris Harris noted under-steer so it may well have been due to that very reason. If there is one weakness of the car its likely the RDU needs an aftermarket oil cooler to be reliable on track (keep the oil temps in the diff down so the diff ECU doe not revert to FWD). Im sure the aftermarket world or Ford themselves will have a solution for that before my car arrives in November. Other than that there were a few inaccuracies and failings in the article. The car under scrutiny was fitted with MPSS on the heavy road wheels. In our market its supplied on lighter weight forged alloys with MPSC2. Without entering debate I would never have put that car on the track with MPSS when MPSC2 for the car are available off the shelf. Also the cover over the inter-cooler was put there to reduce the efficiency of the inter-cooler as in colder climes its was creating condensation. The factory inter cooler was deemed too efficient. I think that's the first thing to remove. The aftermarket are already selling units with 50% volume increase which should keep charge temperatures in check and lower heat soak issues. Their ideal tyre width calculation for weight is a bit bizzare - in logic of reasoning if nothing else. They estimate the car should need a 358mm wide tire. Im not an engineer but i suspect theres a bit more than comparing it to other models for weight. Tyre pressure management protocol on their track days was intriguing too.

As I said its a 37K hatch back thats designed to be fun to drive on the road. Heck it even has a manual transmission for those the Luddites. The only cars I compared it with in the segment were the usual suspects (Type R Civic, Golf R, A45 AMG) and although it beat the majority of them in most measurable metrics the thing that interested me most was the driving experience. Almost every journalist from every publication I actually rate said it was more engaging to drive. I have a 991.1 GT3 for the track, I believe the Focus RS makes a nice dovetail to that for DD and road work. And its cheap to keep on the road. The brakes rotors are $200 each etc.

P.S. Of course I reserve the right to change my POV if the engine goes bang!
P.P.S. Im probably not worthy of a comment as I also have my name down for the Giulia Quadrifolglio Verde!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. I might have bought a GT350 instead of the Focus for 20K more but they dont sell those in RHD countries!
Old 08-19-2016, 07:17 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
P.S. I might have bought a GT350 instead of the Focus for 20K more but they dont sell those in RHD countries!
what s your impression on driven RS
i can t test it here but thinking to buy one
Old 08-19-2016, 08:02 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It won't be the M2 or Focus RS.

The M2 doesn't handle as well as the old 981 GTS and is about on par with current M3/M4 in the most favourable circumstances. The RS is all about hype - its actually a lot slower than most are aware of and the RDU overheats.

The problem the M2 (M3/M4) and RS have is weight - plain and simple, you can't disguise it. BMW and Ford took the easy route, power and torque to cover the weight and kluged around handling. A manual transmission doesn't make a car pure - its one of the great motoring BS statements and I have been able to heel and toe, flat shift for 35 years.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
what s your impression on driven RS i can t test it here but thinking to buy one
As stated earlier I have not driven one. There are 75 units coming to my market. Mine will be MY2017, goes into production next month. I am active on the UK Focus boards and a friend here has his delivered already (and loves it) and a few friends in UK with them. There have been a few thousand already delivered in UK.

I haven't heard a single complain on UK boards of RDU overheating but most are using them as a road car and daily driver.

I agree the FocusRS and M2 will not win ECOTY. And I agree they are too heavy. The Alfa Giulia QV is the same weight or lighter and larger...
Old 08-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
C7 Corvette Grand Sport?
While this car will not make the EVO list because it hasn't been released in Europe yet, it does interest me. In the right spec, it could be a nice track day companion to my GT3.

I have recently started thinking that I want to expand my track experiences to beyond just one car in order to prevent boredom creeping in and to make me a better driver. Not every car handles like a GT3. So when they announced this car, it got my attention. When it hits these shores, I intend to take a good look at it.

Quick Reply: evo Car of the Year 2016