Sponsored by:

Full XPEL Wrap and Paint correction

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:08 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Full XPEL Wrap and Paint correction

Brought the car to XPEL Austin to have the other half of it wrapped, they found that the current half (full front) is discolored. As they tear it off, the entire rear of the car is also discolored.
A professional detailed comes over on site to make the correction and remove the coating that the previous owner had added (not the greatest or smartest idea).
XPEL was kind enough to warranty the existing film and got me the detailer to get the work done professionally. A full week of work all together but well worth it!

Here is a link to my post on 6speed since I can't post pictures on here yet. you will be able to see the before and after shots.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...ml#post4548527
Old 08-12-2016, 12:02 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't understand, what was discolored?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:06 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
I don't understand, what was discolored?
There was a yellowish tint on the existing XPEL film and on the rest of the car. It was all over the clear coat. It looked pale, no shine to it at all.
When they took the front film off, the paint underneath it was nice, shiny and WHITE.
The detailer is working to remove the coating off and restore the color of the vehicle before it gets fully wrapped.
they spent 2 hours in it yesterday late, 6+ today and they still have to work on it a few more hours tomorrow to finish it up before they wrap it.
It was ugly!
The good thing is i am getting a paint correction out of it and no more swirl marks.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:11 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
There was a yellowish tint on the existing XPEL film and on the rest of the car. It was all over the clear coat. It looked pale, no shine to it at all.
When they took the front film off, the paint underneath it was nice, shiny and WHITE.
The detailer is working to remove the coating off and restore the color of the vehicle before it gets fully wrapped.
they spent 2 hours in it yesterday late, 6+ today and they still have to work on it a few more hours tomorrow to finish it up before they wrap it.
It was ugly!
The good thing is i am getting a paint correction out of it and no more swirl marks.
I see, like if a ceramic coating was applied over the film and the rest of the paint and yellowed?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:15 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

I see, like if a ceramic coating was applied over the film and the rest of the paint and yellowed?
That's pretty much what the tech has informed me. I get it that some coatings are made to protect the paint, but when the paint changes tint/color, you are not adding any protection, it is actually damaging it to say the least.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:35 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
That's pretty much what the tech has informed me. I get it that some coatings are made to protect the paint, but when the paint changes tint/color, you are not adding any protection, it is actually damaging it to say the least.
I just had a terrible experience with Xpel and their installer and I want to avoid film for now, I have been thinking about ceramic coatings but I don't want to waste time/money if there are risks involved.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:44 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

I just had a terrible experience with Xpel and their installer and I want to avoid film for now, I have been thinking about ceramic coatings but I don't want to waste time/money if there are risks involved.
I hear nothing but great things about these guys.
I stop by daily to watch the progress of their work.
What State/City do you reside in?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

I'm in the Washington DC area, there are great installers out there but not I'm my area.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:52 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

I'm in the Washington DC area, there are great installers out there but not I'm my area.
I would say NYC and NJ got one of the best in the country.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:47 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always ask what is the best way to do this. I mean I will want to fully prep the paint before Xpel wrap, like claybar and paint correction, but should I stop short of a sealant or ceramic layer? Will it have any effects or even affect the Xpel?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:08 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by sebearstian
I always ask what is the best way to do this. I mean I will want to fully prep the paint before Xpel wrap, like claybar and paint correction, but should I stop short of a sealant or ceramic layer? Will it have any effects or even affect the Xpel?
I am no expert on the matter to be honest with you, but after seeing what happened to the my car with ceramic coating applied, I would never consider it again. One thing I can tell you is that you don't want to trap gasses of some sort underneath the film... So if your car doesn't have a whole lot of swirl marks, a clay bar treatment should do. A lot of people do a paint correction via a professional detailer before a full wrap, something I considered doing regardless. The time the detailer is spending is twice as long, thus the cost would be twice as much, to remove the coating and to do the correction.

Quick Reply: Full XPEL Wrap and Paint correction