Sponsored by:

Cracking pucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 04:03 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 613 Posts
Default Cracking pucks

There were a number of discussions about cracking pucks recently. I think I have a new data point.

One of my calipers was replaced about 9 months ago because it was damaged by rocks getting between wheel and caliper. I was changing pads this weekend and noticed that the old caliper, that came originally with the car in 2014, has pucks that are ivory colored and have a ceramic feel to the surface - smooth but not slippery - while the new caliper has tan yellow colored pucks that have a slippery surface. Also, no single crack on the new pucks while the old ones keep cracking more. I checked photos from my first brake pad change, and the old pucks were always ivory and rougher-surfaced, so it's not the change from temperature. It's pretty clear Porsche changed the puck material. New pucks looked perfect after 9 months while the old ones were cracked after 6.

I wonder if anyone knows more about this. I'm going to get my old caliper replaced via warranty because if one caliper is cracking and another is not while both are used the same way, it's clearly not wear and tear but rather an issue with the original caliper.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:39 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Are people getting these replaced under warranty? I'm a little concerned if I go in there with Ferodo pads and AP rotors they will any future brake issue.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Nodrip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Are people getting these replaced under warranty? I'm a little concerned if I go in there with Ferodo pads and AP rotors they will any future brake issue.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...g-apart-3.html
and
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post13478959
Old 08-08-2016, 05:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

I know in person at least two people who had theirs replaced under warranty. Interestingly, one received a replacement that was same as the old caliper, but it was over a year ago. Not sure about the other.

I hope it's one of those things that Porsche knows about but does not do a recall but rather replaces when needed.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:52 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

That's only one person, they were in Europe, not the US, and didn't specify which pads/rotors were on the car.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

My gt3 pucks are the white ones and have done great with AP rotors and ferodo ds1.11 pads

My gt4 pucks are yellow and have cracked. I should have ran ds1.11 from day one. I'm convinced pad tapering causes this and the ferodo never taper
Old 08-08-2016, 06:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
My gt3 pucks are the white ones and have done great with AP rotors and ferodo ds1.11 pads

My gt4 pucks are yellow and have cracked. I should have ran ds1.11 from day one. I'm convinced pad tapering causes this and the ferodo never taper
My case fits this theory - I ran PFC pads that have not tapered since installing the new caliper with yellow pucks. Further cracking of the white pucks could be just a result of the initial damage. I hoped Porsche figured out how to make uncrackable pucks
Old 08-08-2016, 06:22 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's only one person, they were in Europe, not the US, and didn't specify which pads/rotors were on the car.
OEM rotors, yellow Pagit pads.

Quick Reply: Cracking pucks