Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm quite sure you're right.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:29 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
For some, even engine issues sound a bit trolling. Coz anyone knows this is such a perfect car that will only go up in price becouse it's so amazing.
In the US, this would seem like a pretty easy to win lawsuit. Not sure about in Europe.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:49 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Several people have asked about pressure washers above. Something similar looking (albeit a single, smaller patch) happened to my 991TT when it was brand new. This was definitely caused by a pressure washer. Thus I can tell you with certainty that that area of the car with the bumpy looking surface texture is susceptible to paint flaking off if you hit it with too much water pressure.

I just had it painted over and that area of the car never sees high pressure water jets anymore. Live and learn, I guess.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:14 PM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to see that. Definitely not normal, but Porsche has a different definition than most of "normal".

On my Targa 4S 2009 that I run in winter here in Quebec, paint is peeling off the bottom of the front steel fenders, and is worn out at bottom of the plastic components. At the back it is also worn out in the plastic areas (see a couple of pictures). Porsche says it is due to the sand being pulverized against the paint. I did escalate it by writing letters to the CEO of PCA. No go, it's "normal".

Strange as I have had a bunch of cars running in winter, never had this issue. Including my old GMC pickup of 16 years old....

Porsche is trying to convince people to run their sport cars in winter. Be careful if you do, you have to be aware of the paint issue...

I must say that the paint on my Boxster S 2004 is much better, but it was manufactured by Valmet in Finland. In Zuffenhausen they have to use low VOC paints for environmental purposes and is of low quality. That does not stop me from running my 997.2 in winter or buying other Porsche. But I have to accept that Porsche paint is crap, which is NOT normal.
But eventually if enough people complain, maybe they will have to change their definition of "normal".

Old 08-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Levd. Your 2014 car was owned by PAG and had 20,000 km when you bought it right?

I'd be almost certain they sprayed the rear fenders for stone chips and out new clear film on. Those lower sills near the rear fender get cut up real bad on my car from rocks flicked from front wheels. And we all know the factory clear protectors are too small.

Poor paint prep has led to this issue IMO. It should not be happening. The car has been repainted and a paint depth reader will likely show it.

I agree it should not be your cost. The dealer has has the car sprayed before sale.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 PM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by aigle836
That does not stop me from running my 997.2 in winter or buying other Porsche. But I have to accept that Porsche paint is crap, which is NOT normal.
Agree.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:27 PM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Levd. Your 2014 car was owned by PAG and had 20,000 km when you bought it right?
The dealer has has the car sprayed before sale.
Right. 24,000, to be precise.

I think this can be true.

I was screwed similar way by Mercedes dealer once. They sold me "perfect history accident free" car and later I've got to know it was in accident with a big tractor.

So much about paying premium when you buy pre-owned car from a brand dealer, thinking it gives you some safety.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:32 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just paint it.
This. Has probably been repainted in the past, anyway.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:35 PM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by niche
This. Has probably been repainted in the past, anyway.
I'll make it before resale. Let it keep falling until then. Less weight is better.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
I'll make it before resale. Let it keep falling until then. Less weight is better.
I agree. Look on the positive side. I am like you, I dont have any protection film on the car other than the factory pieces and my theory is just use and enjoy it till the time of sale. Then I will pay to have some paint done and sell the car. Even if I keep it looking 100% perfect now the dealer will charge me to "tidy up" the car when I come to sell it so why pay twice...
Old 08-10-2016, 07:15 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by aigle836
Sorry to see that. Definitely not normal, but Porsche has a different definition than most of "normal".

On my Targa 4S 2009 that I run in winter here in Quebec, paint is peeling off the bottom of the front steel fenders, and is worn out at bottom of the plastic components. At the back it is also worn out in the plastic areas (see a couple of pictures). Porsche says it is due to the sand being pulverized against the paint. I did escalate it by writing letters to the CEO of PCA. No go, it's "normal".

Strange as I have had a bunch of cars running in winter, never had this issue. Including my old GMC pickup of 16 years old....

Porsche is trying to convince people to run their sport cars in winter. Be careful if you do, you have to be aware of the paint issue...

I must say that the paint on my Boxster S 2004 is much better, but it was manufactured by Valmet in Finland. In Zuffenhausen they have to use low VOC paints for environmental purposes and is of low quality. That does not stop me from running my 997.2 in winter or buying other Porsche. But I have to accept that Porsche paint is crap, which is NOT normal.
But eventually if enough people complain, maybe they will have to change their definition of "normal".

Interesting - paint on my Cayenne is hard like glass. It has black plastic in places you pictured, but some other areas that are painted and get sandblasted in winter look great after 6 summers and 4 winters (it was in Florida first two years, so only 4 winters).
Old 08-10-2016, 07:17 PM
levd
Pro

I didn't have extra protection film on my black TT. When I decided to sell it, I washed it. Then I discovered the front lid has a lot of white stone chip marks. I did nothing. New owner was happy with the car. All good. No extra time and money spent.

So yes, it's better to leave it till "then". Especially when you track your car and therefore never know if the car will exist as a whole next week at all.

For now the best repaint option is:

Old 08-10-2016, 09:21 PM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Interesting - paint on my Cayenne is hard like glass. It has black plastic in places you pictured, but some other areas that are painted and get sandblasted in winter look great after 6 summers and 4 winters (it was in Florida first two years, so only 4 winters).
Paint on the Cayenne is fine (also the previous one). Also they have (had) the black plastic wrap around the wheelswells. With black plastic it would not show. I think the issue are with the sport cars. My 997.2 also has the bottom plastic painted which makes it worse. I could accept about the wear on the plastics, but not the paint off the steel. (by the way my pictures are a few years old, it started after the third winter).

But it is nothing compared to the op.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:34 PM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That's very disappointing. Thought PAG had more respect for their customers.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:24 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friend of mine sued VoA in small claims court for something similar in the 80s.
They lost handily and evidently learned nothing.

Quick Reply: Paint falling off the GT3