Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint falling off the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:29 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

From the picture it looks like paint flakes from power washing, given the paint is not factory and didn't adhere to the primer. You see this on bumpers usually.
Can you get ahold of one of those paint gauges?
Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It does not appear the surface was prepped properly (in that section) before the original paint was applied or something contaminated the surface at factory. I don't think that was a port job but I'd encourage your dealer to find out from Porsche as they will have record of it.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh man sorry this is happening to you. I would be pissed. Are both sides doing the same or just one? As everyone else has said, poor prep before paint was put on. I would take it to a reliable body shop in your area and get their opinion. I wouldn't take "normal" as the answer. If they don't want to do something, email the regional rep and let them know you are going to throw it up on social media.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I suspect this area was painted again outside of the Factory- just my $.02
+1
Old 08-08-2016, 11:15 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

This thread sounds a bit trolling

never had such a problem on a multitude of cars
i owned neither on very used cheap cars when student

anyone knows
that paint is covered by a
3 years (in US?) warranty against paint production defeacts

of course due diligence when high pressure washing
stones , track hot asphalt or tyres rubbers
etc etc is expected...
Old 08-09-2016, 12:08 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Just paint it.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:46 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For some, even engine issues sound a bit trolling. Coz anyone knows this is such a perfect car that will only go up in price becouse it's so amazing.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:44 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely not normal. Since you're in Europe, I'd take it directly to the factory and have them look at it. If they still refuse to acknowledge and take care of it, then make a nice Youtube video similar to Nick's that he did on his 997 Carrera that was a total lemon that Porsche pretended was fine, until his videos went viral! Send links to your video to Jalopnik and other auto-media outlets. But first, give Porsche the opportunity to make it right. If they don't then open the flood gates of negative press!
Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

That really sucks but the good news it is only on the rocker and not the fender....an easy fix for a good shop and blending is not an issue as it is 2 different surfaces....my guess is the previous owner is somehow to blame.....at this poor wouldn't lose any sleep over it, get it fixed and it will be long forgotten....
Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 AM
levd
Pro

Thank you for inputs, gentlemen!

It started a year ago and progressing since. Personally I never care much about dents and scratches. Also this surface is super easy and cheap to fix, as some of you mentioned. So I'm definitely calm and easy about it.

I will only repaint it on my expence for next owner, it's not even about money - I just don't care about it and don't want to spend time dealing with this just for better looks.

The thing is it's funny for me to hear PAG's answer "it's normal". So I wanted to check what other GT3 owners think about it.

I will still ask dealer to make new pictures and send to PAG again. Maybe after few more washes when the white areas will get bigger (I'm sure they will).

I believe PAG should fix it. If they won't, I'll consider this fact choising my next/other cars.

Last edited by levd; 08-09-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd bet a steak dinner on re-spray. Inexpensive fix but like you say, that's not the point. Could skin it flat black or other color yourself and call it a day for now :-)
Old 08-09-2016, 01:05 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

That's an obvious re-spray with adhesion issues. It's unlikely it occurred at the factory. At the port or subsequent to that, most likely.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two problems seems visible to me. I see many stone chips which is normal for this car in that area.

The larger areas appear to be flaking which is a problem between first paint coat and the primer and is not normal. I think Porsche should cover this.

For future, I had mine covered here and now need to replace the covered area due to stone damage but paint is still good.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:43 PM
levd
Pro

Yes, same lower area on the other side has a lot of stone chips and it's ok. But on this side paint is falling down with thin flakes basically when you touch it. No flaking on the other side.

I didn't cover this area with Xpel as it would look ugly on black car, considering the structure of surface there.

BTW, I forgot to mention one thing that somehow slipped from my memory. Now I thing it might be related to the issue. When I got this car and original protecting film was removed to replace it with bigger size Xpel, the original film came off together with a big piece of paint. This was on the other side of car. Dealer checked the thickness of paint and PAG then authorised a warranty repaint of rear fender. Again, it was THE OTHER SIDE of the car. That's why I somehow didn't connect it with current problem.

Last edited by levd; 08-09-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:09 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
Yes, same lower area on the other side has a lot of stone chips and it's ok. But on this side paint is falling down with thin flakes basically when you touch it. No flaking on the other side.

I didn't cover this area with Xpell as it would look ugly on black car, considering the structure of surface there.

BTW, I forgot to mention one thing that somehow slipped from my memory. Now I thing it might be related to the issue. When I got this car and original protecting film was removed to replace it with Xpell, the original film came off together with a big piece of paint. This was on the other side of car. Dealer checked the thickness of paint and PAG then authorised a warranty repaint of rear fender. Again, it was THE OTHER SIDE of the car. That's why I somehow didn't connect it with current problem.
I have the impression that if you stick a piece of packaging tape on that side and you peel it off it'll pull the paint right off

Quick Reply: Paint falling off the GT3