Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 11:45 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,059 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
Interesting. The steering is on the lighter side on the 458 but I've never experienced any braking issues on my 458. I went to the Ferrari driving school at Mont-Tremblant (epic circuit btw) and we literally thrashed 20 different 458's all week without issues. They did have a mechanic on hand to swap brakes when needed but the cars performed without issues.
I'm not saying they suck on brakes but between the lack of front tire and the pad compound which is too soft from showroom, the ferrari just cannot brake like the 675 ACR or Gt3RS
Old 08-05-2016, 12:03 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in on Ferrari. I found the buckets in the 458 Speciale had me smashed against the roof so I'd have to get a proper setup.

Last edited by German_Saint; 08-05-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny stuff but In Ferrari's defense I have been DDing an FF for 40,000kms and not one major issue outside of the seatbelt extender. In addition it has service till 2020 covered - they flat bed it from and from my office or house each time they need the car. My Ferrari experience has been brilliant when compared to the very rushed Porsche dealer - we have a '16 Cayenne Turbo.

Unfair to compare the 458 and a GT3
Old 08-05-2016, 01:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by uhn2000
Funny stuff but In Ferrari's defense I have been DDing an FF for 40,000kms and not one major issue outside of the seatbelt extender. In addition it has service till 2020 covered - they flat bed it from and from my office or house each time they need the car. My Ferrari experience has been brilliant when compared to the very rushed Porsche dealer - we have a '16 Cayenne Turbo.

Unfair to compare the 458 and a GT3
That sounds pretty cool.

Bottom line, that post from neanicu clarifies the situation perfectly. How do you like it. Awesome or Incredible? Either choice is amazing, but for different reasons.

Both!
Old 08-05-2016, 03:11 PM
HamidQ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great points - I have an RS and a Scud. For the moment the Scud stays but if an LT comes into range pricewise, then its days could be numbered. I'm finding myself increasingly drawn to McLaren but I cant get my head around the pricing. A 570s is 50% more than I paid for my RS in the UAE. I can't see the value in that.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm biased but based on my ownership experiences on track and road I can't really put faith into certain cars.

The Huracan is a good looking car- much better than the Gallardo. Interior if you spec it right is very sweet. Color is subjective and you can't say lambos suck because you don't like some color. Fun to drive, good noise, not worth tracking extensively as it feels like the traction algorithms are oddly programmed and the car ratchets while yaw reduction fights your right foot. Feels like the R8 in that regard which limits the on-limit confidence.

The 458 is very pretty but felt brittle to me, having driven two different cars that was the same. I also didn't like the steering and felt it was too artificial. Ride quality and brakes are dodgy. Trans and engine noise are superb. Easy to slide, drift, and be a hooligan.

The 458 speciale moves the game along for sure but for similar price the 675LT just absolutely crushes it.

GT3/RS make GREAT noises (not the best unless you do side muffler bypass) have great brakes, and can take a lot of punishment chassis wise. Sure there is the engine issue (warranty) but since the car just slowly evolved and then came out with new gizmos all at once early adopters got stung.

Budget concerns- get the porsche.
Can only have one car? Stretch for the LT.
Can get multiple cars? GT3RS and LT/Speciale
Lookin for babes? 458 spider
Lookin for babes that want to rip you off? Huracan spider
Perfect description of the everything above. Completely agree👍
Old 08-05-2016, 05:25 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
I did get my gt3 sorted out and sold it cause I was getting an rs. I never tried buckets and when my RS came in with buckets, I didn't like them, so I sold the rs. regret selling it though. For someone who wants to drive a car daily, the gt3 with sofa's was fun.
QFT
Old 08-05-2016, 05:27 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no problem with the CCCBs on my California and 458 Spider after years of daily driving. There was initial squeaking which improved with proper bedding of the CCCBs.

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
Interesting. The steering is on the lighter side on the 458 but I've never experienced any braking issues on my 458. I went to the Ferrari driving school at Mont-Tremblant (epic circuit btw) and we literally thrashed 20 different 458's all week without issues. They did have a mechanic on hand to swap brakes when needed but the cars performed without issues.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
I'm trying to sell my 458 at the moment because I don't think it compares to my RS in any way. Cowl shake issue is only in spider.
I haven't heard or had any issues with my a/c. The brakes work fine but they clearly aren't as good as Porsche brakes. I do think everything is more precise and feel like my RS is fitted for me perfectly. Oh yeah, anyone interested in a 2012 458 Italia with 4K miles that's red on black?
😜
i sold my 458 italia and got the GT3RS, but only because i missed out on the 458speciale which i would still prefer over the GT3RS (by some margin). i did 28K km in the 458 without any issue, not something i can say about the porsche after 4K km. other than that i agree that the RS is a much more precise car than the ferrari but it is an unfair comparison since the 458 is conceived as much softer than the RS. anyway, i loved my ferrari ownership experience and would not have parted with the italia for any other porsche than the RS. after the GT3RS i shall go back to the 488 hardcore version or possibly the GT2RS.
btw, i can still hear the glorious sound of the 458's 8-cyl engine in my dreams.....:::)))
peter
Old 08-05-2016, 06:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I spent some time watching videos of the 458 and 488. I hope I am not getting the Ferrari bug lol. Those cars are pretty amazing. I will NEVER trade my GT3 for any other car. It stays. But if I can swing another car (hi honey, mind if I use your garage spot? Duck!) then the 458 is a serious contender. The 488 is, too, but I am just not a fan of the turbos I have driven. In my 550i it feels like a motor, not an engine. Probably describing it poorly, but No character. Just acceleration.

I am sure Ferrari does a much better job with them.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:42 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

decisions, decisions...

Old 08-05-2016, 09:48 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pair of beauties there.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:07 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I spent some time watching videos of the 458 and 488. I hope I am not getting the Ferrari bug lol. Those cars are pretty amazing. I will NEVER trade my GT3 for any other car. It stays. But if I can swing another car (hi honey, mind if I use your garage spot? Duck!) then the 458 is a serious contender. The 488 is, too, but I am just not a fan of the turbos I have driven. In my 550i it feels like a motor, not an engine. Probably describing it poorly, but No character. Just acceleration.

I am sure Ferrari does a much better job with them.
Just like most illnesses, if you think you have it, you most likely do, and in this case, treatment is futile. While I prefer the 458 over the 488 primarily due to the engine, at the very high altitudes you drive in, the 488 will be the better choice because of the turbo engine (much less HP loss).

By the way, are you close to Telluride?
Old 08-05-2016, 10:24 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
decisions, decisions...

Carbon fiber shields really look great with the giallo Ferrari...T
Old 08-05-2016, 10:44 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Just like most illnesses, if you think you have it, you most likely do, and in this case, treatment is futile. While I prefer the 458 over the 488 primarily due to the engine, at the very high altitudes you drive in, the 488 will be the better choice because of the turbo engine (much less HP loss).

By the way, are you close to Telluride?
I was thinking about altitude as well, although to be frank my GT3 has loads more power than i can use on the street. Not sure i need more power! I am about 30 miles west of Denver, but drove my GT3 to Telluride for the weekend a few months ago. Awesome area.

Quick Reply: Porsche vs Ferrari