Sponsored by:

Porsche vs Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
And to the OP, saying that Porsche just killed it with the GT3 is being clueless to what has been going on.

No car comes without troubles. The bottom line is buy what excites you most and what you like driving best. There are going to be problems. The GT3 looks like every 911 out there and the Ferrari 458 is just much sexier. German engineering is usually more reliable and italian engineering is more emotional usually. Pick your poison.
I would encourage you to read the first sentence of my post again. But in all seriousness, that 458 was sexy! Just wow. And everyone on the F forum with one loved it. It has its quirks, but unanimously an awesome car.

I need more car space!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:12 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the offer. I previously owned a Verde Mantis Huracan and the color garnered an unhealthy degree of attention. I prefer a non- modified build in Grigio Nimbus or Lynx.

Originally Posted by James-GMG
I love the Huracan.......I am on my second one and currently selling it as our project build is over and I am 6'3" and 215 lbs and it's a little tight.....plus my RS gets here in 30 days! If you are interested in my Huracan pictured below, please email me at James@gmgracing.com

617 miles
Mega upgrades

Attachment 1077312

Cheers,
Old 08-04-2016, 06:40 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

I traded in my 2014 Grigio Titanio 458 Spider for a 2015 Verde Mantis Huracan after being offered a deal I could not refuse. I found the H to be an enjoyable daily driver with front lift, magnetorheological suspension, rear view camera, front and rear sensors although rear visibility was compromised by the reflection off the Transparent Engine Bonnet. The H offered a more comfortable driving experience compared to the Gallardo and a modern, updated interior with well laid out buttons and switches.

However, I couldn't tolerate the massive amount of attention garnered by that particular color of Huracan and after a few months of ownership I traded the H for my 2015 Guards Red GT3 and cash. While the GT3 is very competent as a daily driver and handles like a go-kart, it does look like the rest of the 911s on the street. The engine is happier at high revs and I miss the low end torque. I am hopeful a more subdued color of Huracan in Grigio Nimbus or Lynx will provide the balance I am searching for as a daily driver and missing since the 458 Spider. I understand the non-Transparent Engine Bonnet louvered rear offers improved visibility. Lightly used H's are trending towards $200K and once that barrier is reached, I will consider jumping back in as a Lambo owner.

I also looked at the 2017 R8 V10, 2017 NSX, Jaguar F-type SVR and AMG GTS. None jumped out as a clear front runner to the GT3.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your 488 coupe. My 488 Spider allocation recently came up but at a $300K price point, I passed. IMHO the appearance is not distinct enough from the 458 Spider to warrant the price delta and I have my concerns regarding the turbo charged engine.

Originally Posted by carz80am
I had a 2014 458 spider that I got after I traded in the Huracan. I actually preferred my 911 turbo s over the huracan. Huracan just looks wicked but didn't love the drive. Just try and test drive the Huracan before you buy and its good you are buying used, personally had more fun in my 458. Currently have a 488 coupe which has crazy torque and rides better than 458. Hopefully will be getting my 488 spider later this year...
Old 08-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I can say I've never owned a Ferrari, but if I had to get one, the 458 just does it for me. Love the looks and the sound is, well you know.
Ditto- make mine a 458 speciale please...
Old 08-04-2016, 07:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ditto- make mine a 458 speciale please...
on the Speciale
Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer
I traded in my 2014 Grigio Titanio 458 Spider for a 2015 Verde Mantis Huracan after being offered a deal I could not refuse. I found the H to be an enjoyable daily driver with front lift, magnetorheological suspension, rear view camera, front and rear sensors although rear visibility was compromised by the reflection off the Transparent Engine Bonnet. The H offered a more comfortable driving experience compared to the Gallardo and a modern, updated interior with well laid out buttons and switches.

However, I couldn't tolerate the massive amount of attention garnered by that particular color of Huracan and after a few months of ownership I traded the H for my 2015 Guards Red GT3 and cash. While the GT3 is very competent as a daily driver and handles like a go-kart, it does look like the rest of the 911s on the street. The engine is happier at high revs and I miss the low end torque. I am hopeful a more subdued color of Huracan in Grigio Nimbus or Lynx will provide the balance I am searching for as a daily driver and missing since the 458 Spider. I understand the non-Transparent Engine Bonnet louvered rear offers improved visibility. Lightly used H's are trending towards $200K and once that barrier is reached, I will consider jumping back in as a Lambo owner.

I also looked at the 2017 R8 V10, 2017 NSX, Jaguar F-type SVR and AMG GTS. None jumped out as a clear front runner to the GT3.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your 488 coupe. My 488 Spider allocation recently came up but at a $300K price point, I passed. IMHO the appearance is not distinct enough from the 458 Spider to warrant the price delta and I have my concerns regarding the turbo charged engine.

Yeah for the bang for buck the huracan at 200k is hard to beat, turbo s would be good but Huracan kills it for looks. My nsx should be here next week and I'm very curious about the way it drives. The 488 makes the 458 feel slow. The sound is definitely missing, but its very fast. I've realized after having all these "FAST" cars, its not about the fastest cars. I loved my gt3 and wish I had kept it. If I can find an rs without buckets for msrp, I'll buy it and drive it every day and get rid of one of the other cars. I can't wait for the gt2rs. I'll be the only guy to order without buckets and drive it every day...
Old 08-04-2016, 07:48 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

I can't wait for your comparison of the NSX vs 488 vs Huracan vs TTS vs GT3. I am concerned about the subdued NSX sound and hefty weight (3800 lbs curb) but am hopeful the hybrid technology supercedes these concerns. Using the rear electric engine to mask turbo lag and powering the two front wheels with 2 separate electric motors is fascinating tech.

Totally agree with you regarding "fastest" car. That's why I daily a GT3 instead of a TTS. Engine sounds great approaching 9000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd gears during my daily commute.

Originally Posted by carz80am
Yeah for the bang for buck the huracan at 200k is hard to beat, turbo s would be good but Huracan kills it for looks. My nsx should be here next week and I'm very curious about the way it drives. The 488 makes the 458 feel slow. The sound is definitely missing, but its very fast. I've realized after having all these "FAST" cars, its not about the fastest cars. I loved my gt3 and wish I had kept it. If I can find an rs without buckets for msrp, I'll buy it and drive it every day and get rid of one of the other cars. I can't wait for the gt2rs. I'll be the only guy to order without buckets and drive it every day...
Old 08-04-2016, 08:04 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer
I can't wait for your comparison of the NSX vs 488 vs Huracan vs TTS vs GT3. I am concerned about the subdued NSX sound and hefty weight (3800 lbs curb) but am hopeful the hybrid technology supercedes these concerns. Using the rear electric engine to mask turbo lag and powering the two front wheels with 2 separate electric motors is fascinating tech.

Totally agree with you regarding "fastest" car. That's why I daily a GT3 instead of a TTS. Engine sounds great approaching 9000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd gears during my daily commute.
Yeah, I regret every day selling my gt3. Sharkwerks exhaust and that 9k rpm made my daily drive fun. The nsx sound does seem subdued from videos I've seen, maybe have to go aftermarket. Chris Harris gave a good review and seen a few other good reviews so we'll see. The good thing is if I don't like it, I think I'm early enough to get out and not get burned.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

My scuderia wasn't the best quality. Stereo fell out and rattled, interior door handles both were loose and annoying. Often times the car wouldn't go in gear, had to turn it off and reboot the whole thing. Several other issues.

458 had issues also.

They're fun cars on track, but not the best in quality or for normal driving on public roads.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Tough call.

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:54 PM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Tough call.
Right all the way. Just wish she didn't have a star tattooed on her shoulder in 2004.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:07 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Tough call.
LOL Very, very tough call. The obvious choice is both!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:18 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
LOL Very, very tough call. The obvious choice is both!
I was thinking the same. Boys will be boys I guess.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:41 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I've taken a ride inside both. I like the way the Italian screams and I love the way the German gets things done over and over.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:57 PM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't go wrong with a Ferrari and a Porsche in your garage... totally different driving experience, both fast cars and gives me a BIG smile!

Quick Reply: Porsche vs Ferrari