Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage car lifts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 12:08 AM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you! And where would I shop for these non plastic trip trays?
Old 04-22-2019, 12:18 AM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by twospyders
Thank you! And where would I shop for these non plastic trip trays?
I got them from the same vendor that sold me my lift
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by hdavidson
What made you select the Autostacker over s single post lift? I’m in the process of trying make a decision and not sure which direction to go. Thanks.
I wanted the simplest drive on/off process possible.

So I've got the Autostacker in and working. Here's some quick thoughts on it:

Pro - the solid pan design is great. If you're one inch this way or that it doesn't matter and it nearly eliminates dripping from the top car on to the bottom
Pro - the angle/lip of the lift is pretty easy to get on/off. My GT3 doesn't have FAL so I need to use a piece of plywood but I bet a FAL car would drive right on
Pro - it's really easy to get in and out of the car underneath. The "posts" (scissors) are great for this and that's important if you're using the underneath space for DD
Pro - the lowest locking position allows me to park either my GT3 or my 993 in either position with a ceiling height of under 9'8". This is great
Pro - it's nice looking. The control unit is cool and the lift has a clean look to it

Con - it's 7 inches or so b/w the locks so I can't use lock position 2 with either of my Porsches w/ my ceiling height. It's really close but I'm afraid to try it because I might not be able to raise it sufficiently to clear the locks to come back down. Why not have the locks be a bit closer together? Seven inches is a big increment
Con - because I can't clear lock 2 I'm basically limited to cars that have a height of 52" on the bottom. Rules out the Tesla
Con - the trough thing (wheel chock) is nice if you have a huge garage because it provides a very distinct physical queue that you're in it, but if you have clearance issues with the wall it effectively shortens the lift quite a bit. But it's fine for the GT3 which has a short wheelbase

I have a four post in my track garage and now this one at home. My net/net opinion - I'm fine with the Autostacker and I'm not going to change it out but I'd probably go a different direction if I could do it again. It would be a lot nicer if it didn't have the trough thing and just used normal wheel chocks and had a flat plate the entire length of the lift. And I definitely don't think it's worth the price difference vs. my four post - it was triple the cost considering the unit and the install

Note: If you're really serious about an Autostacker, PM me if you want to set up a call to chat about it. I would have loved to get real life feedback before the purchase and I'm happy to help
Old 04-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Augdog1964
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have 3 Bendpaks, fantastic units. Easy to build (however does take some time), easy to operate.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Augdog1964
I have 3 Bendpaks, fantastic units. Easy to build (however does take some time), easy to operate.
HD9? Bolted to floor? If not I have a question.

When the rails rise a couple posts tilt outwards. Not by much but the base plates on a couple posts raise off the ground maybe 0.5 inch at its worst. Any issues with this?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:56 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
HD9? Bolted to floor? If not I have a question.

When the rails rise a couple posts tilt outwards. Not by much but the base plates on a couple posts raise off the ground maybe 0.5 inch at its worst. Any issues with this?
Our 4 post is not bolted to the floor and I get a little bit of tilt / movement (you really have to look). Safest is to have it bolted to the floor. I've not had any major issues as a result of not being bolted. I've had the unit for the last 10 months or so (probably use it 2-4x a month). The little wiggle I get I was told was normal by the installer as well as a few people who own similar units. Since install, our lifts have moved <1cm from initial location in regards to the actual 4 posts moving in general. Overall they are quite planted.

The only issue I've had once that caused a major tilt was that the rails did not unlock from one of the posts (I may not have been holding the unlocking mechanism with sufficient force) and whole lift leaned when I was attempting to lower a car. I raised the lift up past the lock and it was fine. Since that experience, I'm more careful and make sure that I hold the unlock lever to the max while lowering.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:07 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RADONCulous
Our 4 post is not bolted to the floor and I get a little bit of tilt / movement (you really have to look). Safest is to have it bolted to the floor. I've not had any major issues as a result of not being bolted. I've had the unit for the last 10 months or so (probably use it 2-4x a month). The little wiggle I get I was told was normal by the installer as well as a few people who own similar units. Since install, our lifts have moved <1cm from initial location in regards to the actual 4 posts moving in general. Overall they are quite planted.

The only issue I've had once that caused a major tilt was that the rails did not unlock from one of the posts (I may not have been holding the unlocking mechanism with sufficient force) and whole lift leaned when I was attempting to lower a car. I raised the lift up past the lock and it was fine. Since that experience, I'm more careful and make sure that I hold the unlock lever to the max while lowering.
Correct, when you lower it you have to be able to see all 4 posts and make sure it's coming down leveled as one of the posts may still be locked.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I bolted my Challenger 4 post lifts down. I wasn't thrilled with seeing them migrate around the garage a bit...an inch here....an inch there. They are rock solid and feel very stable. Should have just done it when they first one was installed. Would have saved me a few bucks.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:20 PM
MBR993
Instructor

I had same occur once and corrected same as you. Really glad parking brake was set on the car to reduce movement when the lift was uneven. I also watch all 4 posts very carefully when lowering lift. I had mine bolted down (only the two outer holes on each pole) just as an extra safety in case someone bumps the lift when pulling into the garage
Old 04-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by avc2014
For the Bend Pak lift, you do need air. Any small compressor will work as the volume needed is minimal and the PSI required is less than 120. The air is only needed to release the lift for lowering.
Only ~45 PSI is required. The system will blow off pressure at a lot less than 120...

Pressurizing the lift is like inflating a tire...if you don't use it often, it takes 10-20 secs with a handheld tire inflator.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MBR993
I had same occur once and corrected same as you. Really glad parking brake was set on the car to reduce movement when the lift was uneven. I also watch all 4 posts very carefully when lowering lift. I had mine bolted down (only the two outer holes on each pole) just as an extra safety in case someone bumps the lift when pulling into the garage
Totally agree that car needs to be with parking brake engaged and with the manual cars I also leave first gear engaged now as well. When I had the issue with one of the rails being caught on a post the 964 (parking brake engaged) started moving forward but luckily at a snail's pace. Our car was about 1.5 off the ground so I quickly jumped in and mashed the brake and got lucky overall.

In short: any car that goes on top the parking brake is a must and if its manual I'm also leaving it in gear. I make it a habit to not start (or even get into) the cars while they are raised. Bolting down the 4 posts are also highly encouraged although not completely necessary.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On a Bendpack HD9 - I have one lock that needs to go a little higher than the others to disengage, so have snagged it once or twice.

anyone know how you adjust the locks down - I think there are some micro adjustments?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:52 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Totally agree that car needs to be with parking brake engaged and with the manual cars I also leave first gear engaged now as well. When I had the issue with one of the rails being caught on a post the 964 (parking brake engaged) started moving forward but luckily at a snail's pace. Our car was about 1.5 off the ground so I quickly jumped in and mashed the brake and got lucky overall.

In short: any car that goes on top the parking brake is a must and if its manual I'm also leaving it in gear. I make it a habit to not start (or even get into) the cars while they are raised. Bolting down the 4 posts are also highly encouraged although not completely necessary.
I also use rubber wheel chocks on my four post. Belt and suspenders.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:48 AM
MBR993
Instructor

Originally Posted by tstafford
I also use rubber wheel chocks on my four post. Belt and suspenders.
which ones do you have and where did you buy them? I just have the metal ones that came with the lift but they move easily
Old 04-23-2019, 09:55 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

My Porsche garage is relatively small (20x20x12) due to permit restrictions so I decided to go with an AC Lifts single post to keep as much of my space as possible... put down my deposit a couple weeks ago. Should have it installed within a month and will update with my thoughts. Pretty excited about it.

Quick Reply: garage car lifts