Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N0 VS N1

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Thanks Whoopsy, someone at Micheline needs to get fired.
I was buying sets of the Michelin truck a year ago for cheap cash euro's during my 10 track Euro Delivery..

Now, 8 months later they are not available?!

Just like the 15 page track setup guide document published July 2016 it seems like a total surprise to both Porsche and Michelin that these cars actually are used on track as intended and need tires ....

15 page thing now being done at one of the largest Porache dealers in the USA and I was the first one with that dealership having very little feed back as to what works on the local tracks in terms of setup.
I was also the first to change PDKS fluids at 10,000 miles at this dealership. Took them altogether 2 weeks to get all the parts.

Maybe I need a GT4.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks Whoopsy, someone at Micheline needs to get fired. I was buying sets of the Michelin truck a year ago for cheap cash euro's during my 10 track Euro Delivery.. Now, 8 months later they are not available?! Just like the 15 page track setup guide document published July 2016 it seems like a total surprise to both Porsche and Michelin that these cars actually are used on track as intended and need tires .... 15 page thing now being done at one of the largest Porache dealers in the USA and I was the first one with that dealership having very little feed back as to what works on the local tracks in terms of setup. I was also the first to change PDKS fluids at 10,000 miles at this dealership. Took them altogether 2 weeks to get all the parts. Maybe I need a GT4.
Pete. Can you PM what is required (if anything) for PDK-S oil change? I just spoke to my dealer and although they look after 15 X 991 GT3 and 8 X 991 RS they have never performed a transmission oil change so I doubt any parts needed will be in the country! I have 17000 miles and almost 20 full track days when I get this done later in the year and IMO it's probably well due by then...

With regards NO on RS I agree with Nick K above. The sidewall load rating is wrong for RS especially given downforce. Stick with N1 (if you can find them!).

Looking forward to your findings at Sebring on reset factory geometry and new tyres. I think you will find those few seconds you had misplaced momentarily....
Old 07-30-2016, 12:12 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

I was buying sets of the Michelin truck a year ago for cheap cash euro's during my 10 track Euro Delivery..

Just like the 15 page track setup guide document published July 2016 it seems like a total surprise to both Porsche and Michelin that these cars actually are used on track as intended and need tires ....

15 page thing now being done at one of the largest Porache dealers in the USA and I was the first one with that dealership having very little feed back as to what works on the local tracks in terms of setup.
I was also the first to change PDKS fluids at 10,000 miles at this dealership. Took them altogether 2 weeks to get all the parts.

Maybe I need a GT4.
You are very welcome.

But in the grand scheme of things, tires for the RS is not in great demand. It's the only car in the world that uses that size, the 918 has same size but different specifications. Michelin makes them in batches, I guess they sold out their last batch and is waiting for the next batch.

But try the Dunlops, I have them from the factory on my RS and I actually quite like them.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:15 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 181 Posts

Maybe I need a GT4.
Are you missing something at Champion Porsche.
Do not go to the dealer, go to their Champion Motorsports.
There cheaper and way more easy to deal with
Old 07-30-2016, 09:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Pete. Can you PM what is required (if anything) for PDK-S oil change? I just spoke to my dealer and although they look after 15 X 991 GT3 and 8 X 991 RS they have never performed a transmission oil change so I doubt any parts needed will be in the country! I have 17000 miles and almost 20 full track days when I get this done later in the year and IMO it's probably well due by then...

With regards NO on RS I agree with Nick K above. The sidewall load rating is wrong for RS especially given downforce. Stick with N1 (if you can find them!).

Looking forward to your findings at Sebring on reset factory geometry and new tyres. I think you will find those few seconds you had misplaced momentarily....
Right, I think its not really needed but based on the Florida race teams that raced PDK's it seemed like a good idea @ 10K miles ~ 30 track days.
I'll try to get the invoice today, I'm sure its eye watering.

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
You are very welcome.

But in the grand scheme of things, tires for the RS is not in great demand. It's the only car in the world that uses that size, the 918 has same size but different specifications. Michelin makes them in batches, I guess they sold out their last batch and is waiting for the next batch.

But try the Dunlops, I have them from the factory on my RS and I actually quite like them.
I went through 5 sets of MPSC2 and 2 sets of Dunlops, and just sold the last 2 new Dunlop fronts to a friend. The second set of rears still looked good but no more grip, heat cycled out from daily driving it. (Macca was on board)
They are fine but MPSC2 better for me to drive home in Florida torrential rains, even with the outside edges corded. Performance on track about the same. So I really wanted to set the car up and try new setup that was in the 15 pages from Porsche (and had some advice from a good race shop near the Ring) with MPSC2's.

Originally Posted by Karl911
Are you missing something at Champion Porsche.
Do not go to the dealer, go to their Champion Motorsports.
There cheaper and way more easy to deal with
My car is 100% stock and I want the first annual service, including plus, pdk and everything else that may not be needed done and in the dealer service system as a record. Just in case.
The car has been at Motorsport for the last week waiting for parts to implement the Porsche 15 page track setup recommendation, backup camera and a few other little bits...
Old 07-30-2016, 05:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Crikey!!
Lots of precautionary preventive maintenance but still, this is without the 15 page track setup implementation.
Macca, see part # below.

Just fluid and filter change.

BTW, $75.00 per wheel to remove them, so I told them don't bother checking the brake pads.
Motorsport division now looking at setup and implement the 15 pages

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-30-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter - much appreciated. Phew! Those air filters are pricey? I thought they could be re oiled? I better start saving up now for the next big service ;-P
Old 07-30-2016, 06:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Right, a bit overkill, but I'm not going to clean them up, so I figure it saves me a stop to do it elsewhere. Better a bit too much maintenance than too little. Race car like fluid changes have served me well over the years doing many track days.

TRAKCAR 3.0 is still going strong with 40K miles.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree, even more so with this car. Plugs are annual here now. I think oil every 4 track days minimum is a good idea. PDK oil every 16 track days. That PDK has a lot of drainage plugs! What is 'trans oil HZMT"? Curious.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:26 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Peter - much appreciated. Phew! Those air filters are pricey? I thought they could be re oiled? I better start saving up now for the next big service ;-P
Suncoast Parts sells the GT3 RS air filter pair for $360.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:35 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

15 page thing now being done at one of the largest Porache dealers in the USA .
What is that 15-page thing? Anyone has it in a PDF?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:56 AM
Mr. Li
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick with N1
http://media.michelinman.com/content/dam/tcar/michelin/us/pdf/Porsche_Ftiment_Guide_2015_EN.pdf
Old 11-30-2016, 11:37 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

Peter ping Orthojoe he has had success with the Ferrari spec tires on the front and NO spec on the rear.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:54 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
What is that 15-page thing? Anyone has it in a PDF?
Max: The 15 page thing is for the RS. Still want it? If so pm me your email.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:14 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Peter,
Am I reading that parts list correctly? It looks like they used 9 Mobil 1 0w/40 in the 12K service and listed 8 Pennzoil 5w/40 separately! Wow the 4.0L takes a bit of oil!

Carmen

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N0 VS N1