Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purpose of the Wing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 PM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Fair enough on the vague nature of "spoiler" since by definition it's: any aerodynamic device whose intended design function is to 'spoil' unfavorable air movement across a body of a vehicle in motion.

For all intensive purposes though, Gurney Flaps aren't a great description for what you are referring to. And unless a car has ground effects, the profile of a car's body almost always generates LIFT
Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 PM
portmoody911
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts

Coffee and Cars this past Weekend!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2016, 10:17 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
The 911s shape isn't ideal aerodynamically and generates a lot of lift. Combined with a large rear polar moment from the entire engine behind the rear axle, rear downforce is needed through wings, which is why base 911s have had deployable wings for decades.

The rear engine layout isn't ideal for packaging diffusers, which is also a problem for Porsches motorsport racecars. I guess those two major inherent issues are reasons Porsche is going mid-engine with their new 911 racecar.

One would think that having a rear engine would help with rear wheel traction. The added weight equals greater forces on the wheels. One of the reasons the 911 tracks out of a turn so well. In my opinion the front end is too light and the understeer is very noticable. I'm thinking a front aero would probably help on my car since it doesn't have RWS. Front engine cars like the viper need a good bit more aero in the rear since they are front engine and have hardly as much weight back there.
But with anything including women. Sometimes it's the flaws that make them more appealing.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:31 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

911s do have great traction out of low speed corners and when launching from a start. I agree the front end gets light when on throttle, but due to the polar moment of having the entire engine sticking out the back makes the car inherently less stable when off throttle. Balancing the aero and mechanical grip with these traits is pretty difficult due to the inherent flaw of the engine placement.

911 racecars rely mostly on the wing for downforce since they don't have the packaging room for large and efficient diffusers like most other cars.

That's. Acommon misconception since the Vipers V10 is almost entirely behind the front wheel centerline and the car has a REAR-weight bias of 49/51.

Quick Reply: Purpose of the Wing