Sponsored by:

Proof of life (i.e., manual GT3 991.2)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:17 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
With all this manual talk, what I really want to know is how many 991.1 GT3/GT3RS don't know how to drive a manual? PAG should be concentrating on black listing these people from buying new GT vehicles
Considering I taught my son over the course of a couple days, I wouldn't worry about it. Not like its rocket science.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,741 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Considering I taught my son over the course of a couple days, I wouldn't worry about it. Not like its rocket science.
While I agree it's not rocket science, I think there is a difference between knowing how to drive a stick, and being able to drive a stick on track.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:29 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While I agree it's not rocket science, I think there is a difference between knowing how to drive a stick, and being able to drive a stick on track.
Certainly that is true. It is simply a skill to learn, that anyone can do if they simply apply themselves.

My son has been driving a couple years now and he is very smooth with heel/toe. Heck I taught him how to double clutch and he picked that up fairly quick. I just think it's odd that many people comment that PDK users can't drive a stick when most of us either come from a manual car or still own several.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
I think you have prudent point. My DD is a base manual 991 and the tachometer needle plays a little after every shift. At first I thought it was me, but all the cars do it with all the drivers I have been with.
Interesting you say that. Gt4 requires zero feathering/touch on clutch at a stand still. It's impossible to kill. You just let out clutch, depress gas and it goes. If you hop in a 997 or older 911 after driving a 718 or 991, it reminds you there's an art to driving a manual. I LOVE tranny in GT4. It's brilliant. But, yes, even with auto-blip off, it sure seems like car is somehow "helping" the clutch engagement. And, wow, gears are easy to switch.....like butter. Just better gear box than old g50 based box or something computer assisted????
Old 07-20-2016, 04:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I just think it's odd that many people comment that PDK users can't drive a stick when most of us either come from a manual car or still drive several.
FIFY.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:30 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

FIFY.
Yes indeed!
Old 07-20-2016, 04:33 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Interesting you say that. Gt4 requires zero feathering/touch on clutch at a stand still. It's impossible to kill. You just let out clutch, depress gas and it goes. If you hop in a 997 or older 911 after driving a 718 or 991, it reminds you there's an art to driving a manual. I LOVE tranny in GT4. It's brilliant. But, yes, even with auto-blip off, it sure seems like car is somehow "helping" the clutch engagement. And, wow, gears are easy to switch.....like butter. Just better gear box than old g50 based box or something computer assisted????
Exactly. In my case the computer is actually messing up. The shifts aren't subtle like I am used to in my 987 and 997 GT3. I need to find a reprogram, the 991 is hell of a GT car.

EDIT: The Cayman GT4 box is the same for Caymans. Getrag. Only the GT4 has beefed up synchros.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
With all this manual talk, what I really want to know is how many 991.1 GT3/GT3RS don't know how to drive a manual?
I think it's only American's in general who can't drive a stick. In the RoW everyone learns to drive a manual. In fact in the UK if you take your test in an automatic you get a special license that only allows you to drive an automatic. You're not allowed to drive manual. Don't know anyone who didn't take their test in a manual. I can't believe there's anyone on this forum who grew up outside of the USA/Canada who can not drive a manual. So don't think Porsche worry about this aspect of how many can / can't drive a manual at all. It's all down to who wants performance vs feel. That's why RS will be PDK only - it's a performance thing.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I think it's only American's in general who can't drive a stick. In the RoW everyone learns to drive a manual. In fact in the UK if you take your test in an automatic you get a special license that only allows you to drive an automatic. You're not allowed to drive manual. Don't know anyone who didn't take their test in a manual. I can't believe there's anyone on this forum who grew up outside of the USA/Canada who can not drive a manual. So don't think Porsche worry about this aspect of how many can / can't drive a manual at all. It's all down to who wants performance vs feel. That's why RS will be PDK only - it's a performance thing.
And the irony is that the demand for MT is highest in the U.S. RoW generally prefers PDK, or some other variant of double-clutche manu-matics.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

And the irony is that the demand for MT is highest in the U.S. RoW generally prefers PDK, or some other variant of double-clutche manu-matics.
Maybe because RoW have been driving manuals since they were 17 years old and so the "feel" factor has gone a little numb for them? Whereas it's seen as something a little different for Americans? Although I know a lot on this forum have been driving manuals forever as well. Maybe it's a P thing - don't see these type of threads on Mac and F car forums?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Maybe because RoW have been driving manuals since they were 17 years old and so the "feel" factor has gone a little numb for them? Whereas it's seen as something a little different for Americans? Although I know a lot on this forum have been driving manuals forever as well. Maybe it's a P thing - don't see these type of threads on Mac and F car forums?
I think it's a macho thing.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:32 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Every serious automotive journalist has been harassing AP about the manual transmission in GT cars ever since the introduction of the automatic GT3 : Harris,Jethro,Nick Trott etc. They all prefer it and praise it every chance they get. And they're all European...
The biggest BS one can come up with is that European prefer automatics because they've driven manuals since young kids and even old grandmas drive manuals there. It's gross generalization.
Yeah...it's a macho thing...
Old 07-21-2016, 08:31 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grew up in Bayern, and go back at least once every 6 weeks on business. A lot of people I know from childhood and their friends prefer a manual in a sports car. But outside of that, everyone rather not hassle with a manual.

There are many reasons why people prefer an automatic, old age, inability, actually don't enjoy controlling the car from a very visceral point, and the type who want the latest and greatest. They are all valid, and where I am from no one judges anyone about transmission choices - but when there are no choices it is a problem. Us MT guys just want a choice.

Porsche messed up with the 991.1 GT3, and they know it. Cheers to them for trying to fix it with the 991.2 GT3.

Quick Reply: Proof of life (i.e., manual GT3 991.2)