Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R availability

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll say it again ; if this car was a regular model in the lineup it probably would be just an OK seller - amazing what a numbered plaque does for it . Still think the emperor has no clothes . This isn't a historically significant car - it's a marketing scam .
Old 07-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
I was offered an allocation at $20k + tax. The guy would not give me a commission number or the dealer. He had a story that he was friends with the Porsche family and wanted to protect his VIP status. He wanted a $15k. deposit up front. I asked for anything real. I asked for references. The references both knew him and couldn't say anything bad. But they also couldn't say he was good. Maybe it's true. But I wouldn't go for it. Scammer? Not sure. Watch out.

Then I had a "real" broker offer me $275k over for mine. Not PTS. I told him that he could offer me $2.75m. The car was not for sale. Not now and not in 6 months or whatever time frame it takes you to be off the Porsche "bad" list.

I've driven the car. It's a masterpiece. I can't wait. And I will drive it. No graveyard for my cars.

But don't be deterred. I'm certain some "R" DNA will find it's way in cars coming in the near future.
Suitcase, we talked a lot about cars when I bought your 2011 Mexico blue GT3. You had owned an impressive number of some of the best Porsche has ever made. And had incredible knowledge about what seemed to be almost every model they've ever produced. However, I don't remember you mentioning you were a 918 owner? Are you one of the few chosen for an R that wasn't in the 918 program? If so, I should have held onto that Mx gt3 longer. Sounds like it came from Porsche royalty blood lines!
Old 07-08-2016, 12:29 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
I'll say it again ; if this car was a regular model in the lineup it probably would be just an OK seller - amazing what a numbered plaque does for it . Still think the emperor has no clothes . This isn't a historically significant car - it's a marketing scam .
+1
Old 07-08-2016, 01:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,355 Likes on 628 Posts

Cars I will not sell ever (unless it was life threatening somehow or I could trade into a better version)

P1, 997RS 4.0, green 3.6RS

cars I would/have consider selling/sold

anything else. 991RS? 675LT? gt350R? GT4? 3.8RS? 993TT? 993C2S?

I have not driven the R yet but hope it's a keeper.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 PM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 154 Posts

It is a little special, but aimed at collectors not drivers.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 911 R

JT. Not royalty. 40 years a good customer. So don't worry. The Mex Blue GT3 isn't worth any more because I owned it. BTW my PTS Riviera Blue MT in the wrapper is for sale. I only wish it was worth more because I own it. MSRP. It's is a really great car (cheap plug) for someone out there. Its analogous to my RB '98 C2S, "The Blue Streak", which is now retired. I drive the almost identical order Mint Green MT GTS as a Daily Driver. The RB GTS will always be a special PTS NA MT car long after they're extinct and I'm gone.

I've knew about the 911 R for some time before any public information. Some of my information was real and some was just good guess work. Manual, NA, GT car, no wing, seats, brakes, lightweight by contemporary standards is my wish list for modern 911.

When I picked up my Boxster Spyder in late April I was offered the opportunity to see the R. And I wouldn't be writing this except I almost take offense at the idea that the R is some "marketing scam." The personal attention and enthusiasm given the development of the car was very apparent to me when I visited. The excitement in the Goodwood video is genuine and sincere.

But, I too, was skeptical. Then I was offered a ride. I could feel the "spryness" immediately even sitting in the passenger seat. And suddenly the driver pulled over and said, "you drive it." As I've stated in previous threads it was like dancing. It could be the offspring of my 997.2 RS and a '74 (not '73) 3.0 RS. Of course I haven't driven it directly next to the 3.8 RS or a 991 RS but my initial impression was that the car is a masterpiece.

I'm not a believer in numbered cars. For example the silly prices for a MT Rennsport GTS? It's the same car as my RB MT GTS with decals at 2x the price. And the RB is much rarer!

Someone recently asked me if I wanted the R because it was a numbered rare car. Hell no. I think everyone should be driving a 911R. And I think Porsche is listening. I believe some of the DNA in the R will find its way going forward before all cars are mandated to drive themselves and dictate where we go.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default PTS & 911R...

Originally Posted by Z356
The figures I have heard is that 50 is the number of
'true'* PTS 911R's world-wide out of the 991 units to
be built in total. The 14 quoted by Graham might
refer to the 'true' PTS 911Rs allocated to US customers.
But hopefully he will explain how he got those numbers
on his post.

I would be interested in knowing if those low numbers
for the US market are correct...or just speculation.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently in Vail, Colorado

*'True' PTS as define when customer is able to choose
any of the colors already approved by PAG & included
in their 'list'.
A follow up on my post. I have received a pm from a
well-connected 911R Porsche customer (who wants to
remain anonymous), which reads as follows:

"Number are from PAG and PCNA.
50 True PTS cars worldwide and 14 USA.
"

Follow up questions:

a) Of the 991 911R's to be built, how many were
ultimately allocated to US clients?

b) How many to Canadian clients? German? French? etc.

I have heard the estimates for the US and Canada. It
would be interesting to document what else is known
on how these in demand 911R were allocated by PAG
per individual world market, per PTS for market, etc.

If anyone else has more information on any of the
above, please post on Rennlist or email or pm me.
Thanks.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail, Colorado

PS. Suitcase. Excellent post above. Thank you for
that!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
And I wouldn't be writing this except I almost take offense at the idea that the R is some "marketing scam." The personal attention and enthusiasm given the development of the car was very apparent to me when I visited.
Regardless of how much enthusiasm was devoted to development, the car is still a marketing scam. It was no coincidence its US debut at the NYIAS was alongside a 4-cylinder VW Golf-powered Audi-based SUV, which is the Porsche (gag) they were actually selling. And the 911R continues to be marketed and promoted as a product available to the public.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:23 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 335 Likes on 171 Posts

If it's the last NA 911 with 500HP it will be a historically significant car. And those who claim its a pure parts bin special are wrong about that.

When was the last time Porsche offered a MT 911 with 500 NA HP? That's why it gets a plaque and sells for a premium.

For me, it would replace two cars: A GT3 and a 50th Anniversary MT.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:39 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Me personally, I do not think the car manufacturer Porsche, is a "Scam." Simple case of "Supply-and-Demand." The 991 GT3RS is my very first GT3RS. For people who owns and drives their 991 GT3RS, I think we will all agree how great if not very good this car is. The 991 GT3RS is far more superior than any of the regular/standard 911 I have owned previously, but cannot compare with other RS version since I never had any of the previous RS models.

I simply love my 991 GT3RS. It is a definite "Track Toy", and the beauty of this 991 GT3RS is that you can also daily drive it. The usability is definitely there. The 991 GT3RS will not just turn heads, it draws a crowd.

However, I learned how to first drive a car with stick shift. There is no doubt in my mind how much I love the motor in my 991 GT3RS. Those two factors, drove me to look forward to this 911R. Money is not the driving factor in having 911R. It is the "Unadulterated Fun" that I want to experience and have. Some say it is a "parts bin" car. To me it is the total summation if not the total composition of how and what is put into this car that got my attention with of course having similar DNA from the 991 GT3RS.

From the outside, I like how the 911R looks. Very clinical, very subtle. To the discerning eye, they will know what it is. It was built for the driver in mind, and without a doubt the driver will have fun in mind.

To those who are lucky enough to acquire one, congratulations! To those who couldn't, as others have chimed in, some of the "traits and features" of the 911R will come in subsequent 911 models.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 07-08-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I know two guys who think the new R is the best thing since the 964RS/964 3.8RS -- and I believe them.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

The R is nice but the RS has it all over the R IMHO. Not even close unless you have to have hounds tooth interior and a third peddle with inferior susupension.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 86 Posts

you can make RL great again by not comparing the R to the RS anymore.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Targa75
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a lucky french future owner of a true PTS 991 R and I believe that We are 24 lucky guys in France. I do not know of it is Monaco included
Old 07-08-2016, 05:38 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think 2 pts r in Canada with rumoured total 26 cars (but possibly a few more).

Quick Reply: 911R availability