Sponsored by:

Ultraviolet or GT Silver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:21 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by farisad
i never liked the GT silver but i think with time its a very safe color compared to the UV
I've seen this comment a few times and I don't understand what you mean by safe. How is a crazy color on a 911 not safe bet to hold value and always be cool? Don't get me wrong, I'm discouraging UV as much as possible because I don't want too many others to get it for my own selfish reasons.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Both are stunning. You can't go wrong in just about any color.

It's so personal. If you are more of an in ur face person UV .

Gt Silver w/ silver wheels would be very sharp with the interior you speced . Very classy as opposed to a "hey every one look at me" color.

The RS is a car that looks great in Wild color though but w/silver wheels and the cars natural extrovert appearance silver is great.

Sorry to confuse u more.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:08 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ 57 is the new 27. based on that, i am a rebellious teen ager.
used to love silver and white
i want want bright color, probably due to my bad cataract.
birch green and neon pink will be next.

but b/n silver and UV, i like UV.
Partial to silver. But damn saw a mint green 991rs today at the kitchen (and a uv and white one). That mint green yum. But too much coffee and pastry with 991rs drivers :-) I stopped to pee and get a cookie and put more miles on the antique. I always see 991rs tparked. Not driving. Do they trailer to the kitchen? Very little traffic today in the canyons. Maybe usc will be first purple unicorn I see driving.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:05 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Partial to silver. But damn saw a mint green 991rs today at the kitchen (and a uv and white one). That mint green yum. But too much coffee and pastry with 991rs drivers :-) I stopped to pee and get a cookie and put more miles on the antique. I always see 991rs tparked. Not driving. Do they trailer to the kitchen? Very little traffic today in the canyons. Maybe usc will be first purple unicorn I see driving.
Shocking that these cars are not being driven. Why bother buying one?
Old 07-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
I've seen this comment a few times and I don't understand what you mean by safe. How is a crazy color on a 911 not safe bet to hold value and always be cool? Don't get me wrong, I'm discouraging UV as much as possible because I don't want too many others to get it for my own selfish reasons.
So that's your evil plan?

Sorry to say Dr. Evil your plan has failed!

Yeah baby!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
u can buy cookies in the bushes? no cookies near nor cal pee stops. just wild grass and dead deers.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 PM
991gtR
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a few Uv guys that are racers but the RS is not a car they "track". Its kinda like a car that says to the public they track but don't actually track the rs.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:22 PM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Shocking that these cars are not being driven. Why bother buying one?
I am probably the exception here the current GT3 gets ~10K miles per year and 6+ track days per year. The plan for the RS will be the same.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,687 Likes on 5,114 Posts

Originally Posted by farisad
i never liked the GT silver but i think with time its a very safe color compared to the UV
Originally Posted by ****
If the RS only came in UV, I would not buy an RS. No joke.

And I know for a fact that I'm not alone in this.

Which isn't to say that UV is not a fine color choice, but to question how it is "not a safe bet to hold value and always be cool" is overstating the situation and presumes and assumes many incorrect suppositions.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by loopsandsounds
I am probably the exception here the current GT3 gets ~10K miles per year and 6+ track days per year. The plan for the RS will be the same.
Step it up! I did 6 last month in my RS. They don't fall apart. In fact they run better! 43k miles and counting.

I need you guys to drive these damn thing so they are worthless, then I'll add one to the stable. For now I keep buying antiques.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:41 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Which isn't to say that UV is not a fine color choice, but to question how it is "not a safe bet to hold value and always be cool" is overstating the situation and presumes and assumes many incorrect suppositions.
Plenty of people that wouldn't buy it in red, or black, or whatever. That's why it comes in more than one color: not rocket science.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Kinda like the green 997.1RS but even more polarizing.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:59 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

No one is ever going to have a hard time selling a uv rs. Even if some people "hate" it...
Old 07-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lumber
No one is ever going to have a hard time selling a uv rs. Even if some people "hate" it...
I agree, "polarizing colors" (not virtually unanimously hated colors) are typically easier to sell on an RS/gt3 than what I would call the "staple" Porsche colors. It's not a Tahoe, folks. Very few people buy these car because blending in is at the top of their criteria list. UV and LO, overtime, will do better than white and silver. It's not hard to see that in past RS. That being said, I'd still order the car in the color that I liked.

I told my friends, if I got pts, I'd be tempted to order pts and trade for a UV+ cash because I love UV; I've had the blues and greens; been there, done that.......never owned a purple......what the hell (still need to scratch the orange itch, for that matter)? I have a white 40 with decals. That's the most common, least valuable, "hardest-to-sell" 40 vs black or pts, but I like that car in white (black wheels, black uprights and non-red interior, if we wanna get specific). I'm not fortunate enough to own more than one 40, but my 2nd choice would be black with decals. Idk why because I like the 7.1rs and 1.1rs in colors. Go figure.

So, order what you like, but don't kid yourself; LO and esp UV will be plenty easy to resell down the road.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I change my mind: STAY AWAY FROM UV!!! It will be like trying to resell a Pink Panamera! We need more LO, white and silver to be produced at the end of this run. Those are the safe colors!

Quick Reply: Ultraviolet or GT Silver?