Sponsored by:

The grip level on this car is crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default The grip level on this car is crazy

Over the weekend I found myself on some nice twisty roads, and I decided to push it through a few hairpin turns. Up until this weekend I hadn't really pushed the car into turns, mainly because I was just getting to know it. So a friend and I headed out to some nice deserted roads and decided to push it a little. Not speeding really, but just throwing the car into some corners to see how it would take them.

As I am sure you guys know, this thing is on rails. I have read that about this car many times, but until this weekend I never "really" knew what that meant.

The first time I put it in the corner, I would say maybe 50%, and nothing. No tire squeal, no drama. Completely flat. By the third time I did it I felt a little tire hop, but still incredibly planted and stable. But something else became apparent. Without a harness I wasn't going to be able to go much further, safely. The car might be planted, but I was feeling the impact of the G's and it was starting to affect my ability to drive.

To any of you who have pushed your GT3, this isn't news. The car is basically point and shoot. Super easy to drive fast into corners. Almost has a kart characteristic to it. I know I only scratched the surface, but to say this car is several levels above my pay grade would be a massive understatement. This car is a beast. Porsche did an absolute amazing job.

Now the hard part. Do I track it? Because I don't feel comfortable testing limits on public roads, even deserted ones. If so, I have a seat/harness problem. I can't take this car on the track until I address that. The sofas are great for the street, but they aren't acceptable at or even remotely near the limits.

Do I have any reasonable options, other than just replacing the seats?
Old 06-27-2016, 12:17 PM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Now the hard part. Do I track it?
Yes!
If so, I have a seat/harness problem. I can't take this car on the track until I address that. The sofas are great for the street, but they aren't acceptable at or even remotely near the limits. Do I have any reasonable options, other than just replacing the seats?
You don't need harnesses for your first DE day...you'll move around a bit but you'll figure out bracing..the seats and 3 point belts are fine for you to figure out if you want to go to the track on a regular basis. At that point if you decide you want harnesses you'll need to swap your seats, but you really have to do it all to be safe:

-bucket seats with harness pass throughs and sub attachments
-6 point harness
-rool bar/harness bar
-HANS or equivalent

If you aren't willing to do everthing in the list above, don't do any of it...
Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one adjective for this car that I keep coming back to: "insane". I gave a friend a ride, and let him drive my GT3, and his response was to buy a Viper ACR. That's all he could do to try to one-up me.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:25 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

While not even close to functional as a proper harness, a CG lock does help. I have the 18 ways in my GTS with alcantara and @ the track with a CG lock, i feel fairly planted during aggressive track driving (at least as much as possible without a race seat and 6 point harness). I have pulled 1.73 g's.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:42 PM
thegoat
Instructor

I find these numbers incredible for a car with stock suspension, alignment and tires.
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2016, 03:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Thanks for the comments, guys. BTW, how do I read that Max G-Force graph? Is the top breaking, bottom acceleration, and sides are the side G-Forces?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:42 PM
thegoat
Instructor

Correct. Right side would indicate a left hand turn as the g-force goes to the right when you turn left.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by thegoat
Correct. Right side would indicate a left hand turn as the g-force goes to the right when you turn left.
Okay thanks. So I guess I pulled a max 1.12 G turn. I am not worthy!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:16 PM
thegoat
Instructor

Okay thanks. So I guess I pulled a max 1.12 G turn. I am not worthy!
Warmed tires on a track is the trick!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:41 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by thegoat
Warmed tires on a track is the trick!
Hint hint?
Old 06-27-2016, 04:47 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by loopsandsounds
Yes!

You don't need harnesses for your first DE day...you'll move around a bit but you'll figure out bracing..the seats and 3 point belts are fine for you to figure out if you want to go to the track on a regular basis. At that point if you decide you want harnesses you'll need to swap your seats, but you really have to do it all to be safe:

-bucket seats with harness pass throughs and sub attachments
-6 point harness
-rool bar/harness bar
-HANS or equivalent

If you aren't willing to do everthing in the list above, don't do any of it...
Thanks man! I am researching these items. Will definitely take your advice on the DE first.

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I have one adjective for this car that I keep coming back to: "insane". I gave a friend a ride, and let him drive my GT3, and his response was to buy a Viper ACR. That's all he could do to try to one-up me.
Insane is accurate. Porsche shows with the GT3 that they are absolutely at the top of their game. Germans!

Originally Posted by hsmith
While not even close to functional as a proper harness, a CG lock does help. I have the 18 ways in my GTS with alcantara and @ the track with a CG lock, i feel fairly planted during aggressive track driving (at least as much as possible without a race seat and 6 point harness). I have pulled 1.73 g's.
That is a lot of G's! Looking into this CG lock. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2016, 05:07 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob, funny you talk about going for a twisty fun run. Just this past weekend, had a buddy with his wife stay over, took him for a somewhat spirited ride, no where to the level I've gone before and he was speechless. He could not believe the grip. You're right, it's insane!!! Now, can you just imagine the RS. I need to get a ride in one.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

just came back from 3 days at Barber, 2 of which we drove GT3's. you just won't be able to appreciate this car's competencies until you push it at a racetrack. it's such an impressive car when you start to really push it.

let the big dog eat
Old 06-27-2016, 05:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
Rob, funny you talk about going for a twisty fun run. Just this past weekend, had a buddy with his wife stay over, took him for a somewhat spirited ride, no where to the level I've gone before and he was speechless. He could not believe the grip. You're right, it's insane!!! Now, can you just imagine the RS. I need to get a ride in one.
That is too funny Bronson. Yeah, this car is insane. The grip level is so next level, it is shocking. The closest sensation i can think of to this is a roller coaster. You feel the G's on your body, but the car is absolutely locked in. Just like a coaster!

GT3 RS? I don't want to lose my lunch on the side of the road Chris Evans style. Speaking of that, one thing was interesting. I took the wife on the twisty road and she was scared, but fine physically. The same road at half the speed in the BMW, and she said she was feeling nauseated. The complete lack of body roll in the GT3 actually makes it easier to take. But I don't know how I'd do with a good driver behind the wheel in a GT3, let alone an RS.

You go first!
Old 06-27-2016, 05:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Brosef
just came back from 3 days at Barber, 2 of which we drove GT3's. you just won't be able to appreciate this car's competencies until you push it at a racetrack. it's such an impressive car when you start to really push it.

let the big dog eat
I got just a little taste, but this car is next level. It's not right! It does things that cars should not be able to do. I took this one hairpin so hard that I had to literally crank the wheel as far as I could. Any sane car would have lost it by massive under-steer, or rolled. This car's attitude was...WTF took you so long?

Quick Reply: The grip level on this car is crazy