Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a shipper for my RS - Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 02:53 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need a shipper for my RS - Any Advice?

After a painful and extended wait, wanting to get my 2016 RS to me as soon as possible, safely, without incident. Have used all the major providers - Intercity, Reliable, Horseless Carriage, etc. Prefer those types of shippers but would also consider the right high end smaller shipper if the right experiences and references exist. Car needs to ship from Ohio to Texas. Would expect to pay $1-2k range, depending on rig, timing, etc. Car ready for pickup immediately so schedule to get it and deliver to TX in a reasonable amount of time will be a key consideration. Thanks!

PM or email jbtrichel@gmail.com
Old 06-22-2016, 03:17 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Can't go wrong with intercity but they are absurdly expensive.

Personally I'd call a Porsche race team...either one locally in TX or near Ohio. Kelly Moss I believe is in Wisconsin and CJ Wilson is in TX and a few others out there.

Now they may have scheduling issues with IMSA season, etc but that's how I'd go.

I trust race teams more than normal shippers.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:31 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Whatever you do don't use the company this person did in shipping. This was my 4.0 that I sold back in 2013 to a buyer in the northwest.

I personally have always used Intercity, Reliable and Horseless Carriage. Nothing but great service from these any of these shippers. I recently was recommended another company, White Glove Transport from a good friend who ships more cars than I could ever think of.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:40 PM
CFM3
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Whatever you do don't use the company this person did in shipping. This was my 4.0 that I sold back in 2013 to a buyer in the northwest.

I personally have always used Intercity, Reliable and Horseless Carriage. Nothing but great service from these any of these shippers. I recently was recommended another company, White Glove Transport from a good friend who ships more cars than I could ever think of.

I've had great experiences with Intercity and would absolutely use them again. We had very bad experiences with lower end shipper (damage, delays, company losing track of their truck and driver until he was found holed up "sick" at a motel, seriously) and don't want to relearn that lesson. Absurdly expensive becomes more palatable after that.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:01 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intercity always gets rave reviews on this board. When I google Intercity, I get two results:

There's Intercity Lines based in Massachusetts (http://www.intercitylines.com/) and Inter-City Auto Transport based in Wyoming (http://inter-cityautotransport.com/).

Which Intercity is it that you guys rave about? They both claim to be world-class operations!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:02 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

The first one
Old 06-22-2016, 04:10 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horseless Carriage is who I go with. Not cheap but do a great job. I used Intercity once and they were fine but Horseless is my goto for almost all my cars and never let me down.

I've also heard nothing but great things about Reliable but never used them. Apparently they are used for many of the high end auction cars.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't often see Plycar mentioned here, but they are a highly regarded transport company and worth getting a quote from.
http://plycargroup.com/

TT
Old 06-22-2016, 04:23 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Intercity. Can't go wrong.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:27 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,024 Posts

I had good luck with Intercity.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:40 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 220 Posts

Intercity or Reliable.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:45 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

Plycar and reliable for my cars: CGT, RS 4.0, 991RS
Old 06-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 370 Posts

drive it home. Or PM me and I will do you the favour. just pay for gas
Old 06-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
After a painful and extended wait, wanting to get my 2016 RS to me as soon as possible, safely, without incident. Have used all the major providers - Intercity, Reliable, Horseless Carriage, etc. Prefer those types of shippers but would also consider the right high end smaller shipper if the right experiences and references exist. Car needs to ship from Ohio to Texas. Would expect to pay $1-2k range, depending on rig, timing, etc. Car ready for pickup immediately so schedule to get it and deliver to TX in a reasonable amount of time will be a key consideration. Thanks!

PM or email jbtrichel@gmail.com
Move quickly because trucks will start getting allocated to move cars out to Monterey for Car Week; impossible to get a car moved around while that goes on.

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas

I remember pulling up to a cigar store in my then 997 GT3 and having a chat with another patron on the sidewalk; we talked about cars, Porsches, GT3s, etc. for a minute and then he mentioned he was friends with you and that you'd sold the RS to a guy in Oregon and that had happened to the truck. Almost didn't believe him.

Originally Posted by RossL
Horseless Carriage is who I go with. Not cheap but do a great job. I used Intercity once and they were fine but Horseless is my goto for almost all my cars and never let me down.

I've also heard nothing but great things about Reliable but never used them. Apparently they are used for many of the high end auction cars.
I bought my car from Ross and used Roadrunner, who acted as a broker and put my car on a White Glove truck (Maryland to Atlanta).

Ultimately as long as you have an insured, reputable company (ie, any mentioned above), your desicion-making will be influenced by price and timing. Call a few and get quotes.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Doug23
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intercity has been great every time. Good experiences with Horseless as well

Would never use Plycar again based on delivery they did in May. Car was 2 weeks late, dirty, and scratched., wouldn't give straight answers on where the car was and when it would be delivered...not acceptable for what is supposed to be a "top of the line" auto transport company.

Quick Reply: Need a shipper for my RS - Any Advice?