Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: OEM Surface Transforms PCCB Rotor Kit for 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 07:37 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I believe I have almost 4k track miles in 1 year on my OEM PCCB's and they still look great with an aggressive Pagid Pad, this is with some very hard braking with ABS consistently trying to save my butt. ST's are an option for me but I will wait until I kill my OEM's and get them refurbed from Europe.

A buddy of mine has over 10k track miles on his PCCB's whos advice I took when keeping them on instead of switching, although I would love a set of STI's for sure as they do provide better braking. I only kept mine on as friends told me the 991 version of the PCCB's last a long time compared to 997's and told me not to believe everything I read, I was very nervous at first but trusted them which I guess has now paid off.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:43 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 323 Posts

I've long wondered if newer generations of PCCBs were less fragile, so thanks for the comments above. I have not read often of the evolution of the technology, but it does seem to be getting better over time.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:56 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,128 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I've long wondered if newer generations of PCCBs were less fragile, so thanks for the comments above. I have not read often of the evolution of the technology, but it does seem to be getting better over time.
Definitely getting better, but doesn't seem to be getting more affordable (aside from the value of having to change less frequently).
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 07:18 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Does this look normal for ST’s?

The pad of choice is Pagid RSL1 and previous owner have complete 1 refurbishment. Proper bedding in procedure was conducted prior to track days at Sebring. After the refurbishment, the car ran 3 days at Sebring, totaling around 330 track miles. Asked around a few friends, and they all commented on abnormal wear.

The two pictures are taken from the driver’s side front rotor.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Old 01-13-2022, 09:38 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Can anyone chime in on the level of brake dust with ST rotors? I mostly street use my 997s and a key attraction of the PCCBs is cosmetic. Wonder how these compare to OEM cast irons (terribly dusty) and OEM PCCBs (probably best case scenario)...

FYI I'm thinking of putting these on my 3.8 with OEM PCCB pads.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:40 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Can anyone chime in on the level of brake dust with ST rotors? I mostly street use my 997s and a key attraction of the PCCBs is cosmetic. Wonder how these compare to OEM cast irons (terribly dusty) and OEM PCCBs (probably best case scenario)...

FYI I'm thinking of putting these on my 3.8 with OEM PCCB pads.
I have no dust on the gt2rs...
CRex (01-15-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 04:58 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

If you only street use your car, I am almost certain you won't see any brake dust at all. It's a whole different world to the original steel rotors. I can not comment on the PCCBs, though.
I have had my STs on now for about 8,000 km haven't seen any brake dust after street rides, even the vent holes stay absolutely clean and do not clog at all during street use.
I use RSC1 front and RSL29 rear.
Best upgrade on my car by far so far (991.2 Touring).
I track my car regulary, discs have seen 2x Hockenheimring, 2x Most, 1x Salzburgring in a bit over a year and even after track days, they are very easy to clean. No visible disc wear so far. Pads are also far away from needing to be replaced.
Removing the pickup is much more of a hassle than claning off the minimal brake dust off.
I do, however, recommend to clean the vent holes after each track day use with a Nylon pipe cleaner. Something like these (bot are Nylon, but the left one had been used longe,r hence it's a bit reddish):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/164077175475
6mm Nylon version (brass does not work well at all), this little piece also works for the steel rotors. Nylon works much better and lasted me for three years now. I can highly recommend.

CRex (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 05:09 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by CX_GT3
The pad of choice is Pagid RSL1 and previous owner have complete 1 refurbishment. Proper bedding in procedure was conducted prior to track days at Sebring. After the refurbishment, the car ran 3 days at Sebring, totaling around 330 track miles. Asked around a few friends, and they all commented on abnormal wear.

The two pictures are taken from the driver’s side front rotor.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

I am not exctly sure about how your surface really looks or feels. After a day on Hockenheimring with 6-7 stints, each 10-15 laps without a break, where you brake after Parabolica from about 160mph down to second gear around 30mph (or even less maybe???), my discs also feel and sound bit "rough" at the end of the day. You can also feel that with your finger. It feels a bit more rough than before, but not uneven.
After the trip home on the Autobahn and several smooth and controlled deccelerations from about 160-170mph down to about 100mph, the discs feel and look as good as new. I am not sure, what causes it, but it always diappeared after a short while.
That what I can see on the picture appears very similar.
Also, you can usually feel an extremely thin "step" on the inner inner line, where the brake pads end. You cna inly feel with your fingernail. At first I suspected it to show the disc wear at first, but after cleaning with a fleece, similar to Scotch Brite, this line disappears and the disc is perfectly even again, so I assume this was only excess brake pad dust, that gets "baked" to the disc temporarily. You can also rub it off with a normal kitche /pot sponge and water, it just takes longer.

Last edited by NA6speed; 02-05-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

^^ I’ve had material transfer like that at some point.
Sebring is harder then Hockenheim, so you should get more days of them that we can here in Florida and I’m terrible on brakes.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:39 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ I’ve had material transfer like that at some point.
Sebring is harder then Hockenheim, so you should get more days of them that we can here in Florida and I’m terrible on brakes.
Oh, these discs in the pictures are not mine and I have no problems with the STs. I never had any problems with them so far on any track. I just brought up Hockenheim because I heard it's very demanding on the brakes. I can't really tell, because my brakes just work. To be fair, I never really had problems with the steels (haven't been to Hockenheim on steels though), but the wear on them was just annoying when going to the track regularly.
TRAKCAR (01-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Review: OEM Surface Transforms PCCB Rotor Kit for 991 GT3